2 days in Anchorage

dalibill

We only have 2 days in anchorage before we board the cruiseship at the end of may so I booked these two tours with Alaskan Tours. Has anyone ever been on these tours or to these places are they pretty good?

day 1

Matanuska Valley / Iditarod Day Tour:
Enjoy a tour of this beautiful valley.
Tour the Iditarod Sled Dog Museum, Visit the Musk Ox Farm, Come nose to nose
with wolves at Wolf Country USA. Lunch overlooking beautiful Lake Lucille
and Alaska transportation Museum. $99 pp 6 hours

day 2 (includes transfer to wittier)
Portage Big Game Alaska / Alyeska Day Tour:
Experience Alaska’s Big Game Animal Park. Enjoy a tour of the Alaska Jade Factory,
Enjoy lunch at Portage Glacier Lodge, Portage GlacierVisitors Center. and option of taking the one-hour Portage Glacier Cruise, or the
scenic Tram Ride to the top of Mt. Alyeska .
$99 pp with a min. of 2. (6 hours)

There are 4 of us 2 are in their 70s
Any input would be appreciated

As an alternative and since there are four of you have you thought about hiring a car..??
Maybe it's too late now but it would be much cheaper than these tours and then you could go at your own pace.

Kim

[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/kimba_99"]http://community.webshots.com/user/kimba_99[/url]

I also responded elsewhere- but this is way overpriced for what you get especially for 4 people. Consider renting a car and make your own plans. Request the Anchorage visitor guide [url="http://www.anchorage.net"]www.anchorage.net[/url]

Well thanks for the advice...
How about the places... ARE THEY WORTH SEEING???
Already looked into the car thing and w/late arrival friday night and departure time Sunday evening we would rather see the place instead of the rent a car office. Plus like I said day 2 will drop us off in Whittier at the boat so no need for a transfer.

dalibill - the only one of those places that gets a yawn from me (I've been to them all, most several times) is Wolf Country USA. In particular, the guides at the musk ox farm are extremely good, and the view from the top of Alyeska is incredibly beautiful (take that instead of the Portage Glacier cruise if the weather is good, the other way around if its not).

Murray

Thank you,
I talked to the operators and since we will be a private group they will take us were ever we want so changes to stops in the same area are no problem. Are there better places to see in Mat Valley? He will stay out with us as late as we want.

Matt

If he'll take you up Hatcher Pass, that's the place to go. If not, a tour of the older farming area is very pleasant - and very interesting if he knows the story behind them. The Matanuska Glacier may be pushing it, but it's worth asking - still secondary to Hatcher Pass, though.

Murray

One place I haven't seen mentioned is the Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage. It is just off Muldoon Road and has a lot of information about all the difference Alaska Native Tribes. web site is: [url="http://www.alaskanative.net"]www.alaskanative.net[/url]

Radiance of the Seas 2/04
Enchantment of the Seas 2/04
Monarch of the Seas 4/04
Radiance of the Seas 7/04

Archived