Athens on your own

Would it be hard to do Athens on your own? I know that I want to see the Acropolis and eat a good Greek lunch. My husband is Greek but we've never been to Greece. We just have the one day. Should we do a tour or just take a bus or whatever to the Acropolis? Thank you

Athens is easy. There is a train from the port to the city. If you want a guide for the Agora and/or Acropolis, there are always licensed guides hanging around.

By wary of Athens taxi drivers. They have a habit of "forgetting" to turn the meter on and then demanding an outlandish price. If this happens, simply demand to ahve the cabbie call the tourist police. The price will come down suddenly. :) Also, they have another habit of forgetting to reset the meter to zero.. Check it out before the cab starts moving. Finally, it is agaisnt the law for a cabbie with a fair to stop and pick up a 2nd fair. They all do this, though, and it seems to be an uniforced and uninforcable law, so don't worry about this one.

Paul

I highly recommend you take a private taxi to the Acropolis. We arranged a 1/2 day tour and it was the best decision we made!

We spent most of our time at the Acropolis, then were off to the Panathinaikon (Kalimarmaro) Stadium where the 1st modern Olympics took place. We only spent a few minutes here. We made a brief visit to the Temple of Zeus where we viewed a few very huge columns in a field which were a testimony to the temple’s huge size! (Off to one side was a TRULY ancient walkway which was very narrow.) Our taxi driver then drove us to the city’s new marble metro station at Constitution Square, also known as Platia Sidagma, where we walked through the underground station with its display of artifacts from excavations. We then crossed over to see the Parliament Building. While there we saw the changing of the guards in front of the monument to the Unknown Soldier. Our next stop was at the Plaka where we walked the narrow streets and stopped for lunch. On our way back to the ship in Piraeus, we drove along the coastline of Athens which stretches along the gulf of Saronik for 10 miles. Along our drive we saw one of the most modern harbors in Europe.

(If you'd like to read my entire trip report for the port of Athens or see my pix, let me know by email to ON THE RIM AT HOTMAIL DOT COM - of course, it's all one word.)

I would agree with Paul's comments. No reason to spend a lot of money on a private car/driver if you are on a budget. As Paul says, you can take the train/subway from Pireaus right into central Athens. However, be really cautious with your wallets and purses on this train since its infamous for being worked by gangs of gypsies. Not a problem if you take common sense precautions. Paul already mentioned the Athens taxi drivers, but he forgot another trick. They have a switch on their meters so that they can set it for the day or night rates (these are higher). They will often give the night rates to unknowning tourists. Its really a shame about the taxi drivers (they are not all crooks) and its a bigger shame that the Athens authorities have ignored this problem for years. As Paul said, when you get to the Acropolis you can always hire a licensed guide or join a guided group near the entrance. On the other hand, if you have a decent guide book you can do it on your own. I am sure you and your husband will also enjoy the Syntagma Square area and the adjacent Plaka neighborhood. One thing both Paul and I forgot to mention. To get from the cruise pier to the train/subway station is a bit of a walk (a little more than 1/2 mile), but its all very flat. You will have no problem finding the station as there will be others heading there from your cruise and there are tourist officials on the pier.

Hank

I would agree with Paul's comments. No reason to spend a lot of money on a private car/driver if you are on a budget. As Paul says, you can take the train/subway from Pireaus right into central Athens. However, be really cautious with your wallets and purses on this train since its infamous for being worked by gangs of gypsies. Not a problem if you take common sense precautions. Paul already mentioned the Athens taxi drivers, but he forgot another trick. They have a switch on their meters so that they can set it for the day or night rates (these are higher). They will often give the night rates to unknowning tourists. Its really a shame about the taxi drivers (they are not all crooks) and its a bigger shame that the Athens authorities have ignored this problem for years. As Paul said, when you get to the Acropolis you can always hire a licensed guide or join a guided group near the entrance. On the other hand, if you have a decent guide book you can do it on your own. I am sure you and your husband will also enjoy the Syntagma Square area and the adjacent Plaka neighborhood. One thing both Paul and I forgot to mention. To get from the cruise pier to the train/subway station is a bit of a walk (a little more than 1/2 mile), but its all very flat. You will have no problem finding the station as there will be others heading there from your cruise and there are tourist officials on the pier.

Hank

Hank:

Thanks for filling in my omissions. I did forget to mention the night rate scam. Athens is a wonderful city but the taxi drivers area a real PITA.

While pickpockets in Athens certainly exist, I do not think the situation is parcularly bad there.. certainly nothing like Barcelona .. the pickpocket Olympic champions must all be there. :)

Is it really 1/2 mile to the train station from the pier? I must have been younger when I walked it. :)

Paul

Could you give me some advise on the best way to get to Lycabettos Hill. My DH and I are in good shape and don't mind a lot of walking. How far is it from Syntagma Square? Would it be better to take a taxi? How much do you think it would cost?

Thanks!

We were in Athens last week. Leaving the port, there were several taxi drivers that approached us. Quoted varied prices 80-25 euros for taking us around - we were only going to the train station or acropolis. My husband waved them all off. We were going to walk, but my son wasn't feeling that great, so we found a taxi driver a little ways from the port - he agreed to take us to the Acropolis for 12 euros. My husband asked him several times - he didn't turn on the meter, but he was good about the price.

Boy, did he drive fast - up and down hill - my daughter was pretty green by the time we reached the Acropolis. He did point out some of the sights as we got there.

After we were done with the Acropolis, we were planning to go to Plaka. We found the Athens Sightseeing Tour bus at the Acropolis - unlimited travel for 5 Euros a person. Was a great deal. We got off at the Temple of Zeus - saw this and Hadrian's Arch. Then went around shopping a bit in the Plaka area - wasn't to our liking. We then caught the bus back again and got off at the Parliament building (just missed the change of guards). The lady on the bus gave us directions to the metro (this was also covered with the bus tickets). We got the metro and came back to the port. Was a good 20 min walk from the train station to the ship - we could have used the other regular buses - but the kids preferred to walk.

Athens seemed very easy to do on your own. Some of our shipmates took a ship tour - they felt that it was not very useful. In fact, they apparently didn't even get to the top at the Acropolis. Others took a private taxi - he got stuck in traffic and then offered(!) to take them to a good Greek restaurant that he knew - they were stuck with this, but happened to enjoy the food :-)

Could you give me some advise on the best way to get to Lycabettos Hill. My DH and I are in good shape and don't mind a lot of walking. How far is it from Syntagma Square? Would it be better to take a taxi? How much do you think it would cost?

Thanks!

We walked to it from the National Archaeological Museum - as you approach the hill, you are walking uphill most of the way to the base of the hill. Once there, we asked a local how to get to the funicular. He told us that we were on the opposite side of the hill from it and that it would be just as quick to walk up. It was an interesting hike (but I would not want to tackle it in any warmer weather than we had ... mid 70's). Fantastic views from the top! We walked back down to Evangelismo subway stop.

My recommendation would be to take the subway to Evangelismo and then walk to the funicular. If you feel like walking the whole way up, there is a good walkway with steps.

We did this at the end of a full day of walking in Athens .... just about collapsed by the time we got back to the ship, but what a great day we had in Athens!!

Here's a link that might help: http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wtslykavittos.htm

So if your walking from the Acropolis the funicular is around the other side of the hill? Is there a charge for the funicular? Thanks for the web site!

I think the funicular is on the S.W. side so if you are walking from the Acropolis, stay to the south side of the hill.

There is a charge for the funicular .... but I'm not sure how much as we didn't take it.

Here's a map that might help :

http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/Athensmap.htm

And a map showing the location of the funicular: http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Maps/Athens/Map-Kolonaki.htm

:) I think it will be too hard for me to do the Acropolis due to leg trouble..I have seen so many ruins etc but Lykavittos Hill sounds like a great substitute .Can you see the Acropolis from the Hill? I will have to see how to get there from the dock doing the metro..thanks..any other info would surely help:)

We walked to it from the National Archaeological Museum - as you approach the hill, you are walking uphill most of the way to the base of the hill. Once there, we asked a local how to get to the funicular. He told us that we were on the opposite side of the hill from it and that it would be just as quick to walk up. It was an interesting hike (but I would not want to tackle it in any warmer weather than we had ... mid 70's). Fantastic views from the top! We walked back down to Evangelismo subway stop.

My recommendation would be to take the subway to Evangelismo and then walk to the funicular. If you feel like walking the whole way up, there is a good walkway with steps.

We did this at the end of a full day of walking in Athens .... just about collapsed by the time we got back to the ship, but what a great day we had in Athens!!

Here's a link that might help: http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wtslykavittos.htm

The thing about Lykavittos is that it really depends on the smog! We have been to Athens 4 times. The first 2 times the air was so polluted you could not see more than a few miles from the hill. The third time was quite memorable because Athens (and Greece) was in the midst of one of the worst heat waves in history (the same year that many dies in Chicago from heat) and when we got to Athens it was more than 124 degrees. In fact, it was so hot that the Greek government censored the weather reports so as not to frighten their people. But, there were quite a few deaths. Most of us stayed in our air conditioned hotels until after dark when the temperature dropped into the 90s. On the 4th trip we hit perfect conditions...it was in the 70s, and a cold front had totally cleared the air. We immediately walked to the funicular (its a bit of a hike) and went up the hill. We had an amazing view and you could see all the way to Pireaus (and beyond). And of course you could clearly see the Acropolis,, although its not nearly as good as being at the Acropolis. If you have "leg trouble" there is no way you can walk to the funicular,,,but you can certainly grab a taxi (make sure you read our other comments on the taxis). And good luck with the weather!

Hank

:) Can you see the Acropolis from the Hill? I will have to see how to get there from the dock doing the metro..thanks..any other info would surely help:)

Hi Kruzin - here's a link to photos showing the view from Lykavittos to the Acropolis: http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/AM_Lecabettus.htm (note: this is from the map in my post above ... if you click on the blue "P's" on that map, photos and details pop up.)

We had a clear day and were able to see both Acropolis and Piraeus, but they are distant views.

As Hank mentions, taking the metro to Lykavittos might be difficult for you as it's an uphill walk from the Metro to the funicular. (We were going downhill and trying to beat a rainstorm, but going to the funicular from the Metro, I think would be about a 10-15 min. walk.)

I can understand your concern about the Acropolis ... not only in walking up to the entrance, but the uneven surfaces once inside. Although we did Athens on our own, I've read many good recommendations for tour drivers there and I think that they are much less expensive than in Italy and France. Hope you enjoy Athens .... it's a fascinating city!

4 summers ago it cost about $1 each way to take a train from the ship to the Acropolis area. An easy 10 minute walk from the ship to the train station and then another 10 minute uphill walk from the station to the Acropolis. Seems like the train ride lasted roughly 15 minutes.

Once you are at the acropolis, you can find a number of places to eat and shop, back down near the train station.

An easy 10 minute walk from the ship to the train station

The distance is probably 1+ miles to the Metro if you are walking from the cruise ship docks.

Here's a map which is worth taking along http://www.cretetravel.com/Athens/Athens_mini_guide/Athens_mini_guide-Pireas_map.htm

The cruise ships dock in the lower central area (just above where it says 'large area view'). Metro is in the top right corner. Keep an eye out for the Everest Cafe (red awning) and you'll know that you're almost there.

We returned from our cruise from July 1st. We were in Athens in late June on one of the record high days (around 110)

In Athen we did it on our own. Since it was a hot hot day we wanted to get to the Acropolis as quickly as possible in the "coolness" of the morning. Below is how our day went and the suggestions I can make from what we experienced.

From the port, we left the terminal (actually trailed by numerous taxi drivers offer "a wonderful day for only XX euros) to head toward the metro station.

After we cleared all the other cabbies who ignored our request to just to go the Acropolis, on followed us further and agreed to take us to the Acropolis for $20 euro. None of the cabbies were willing to take us just on the meter so our best bet was to re-negotiate the rate. We agreed only for a trip to the Acropolis.

The cab ride there was a constant sales pitch from him to hire him for the day but in the end we were safely delivered to the Acropolis entrance and bid him goodbye.

We visited the Acropolis on our own. (In hindsight, I think I would have strung for a guide there but at that point it was very very hot already. There are guides there for the hire).

After the Acropolis we walked down the hill to the Plaka and did a little shopping and had a great lunch. We found in the Plaka center next to the Metro station the "HAppy Train". The "Happy Train" is a tourist shuttle that for 5 euro each it takes you on a loop of the city. It seemed to run pretty constantly thru the day and took you from the Plaka past the Acropolis (thus you could take the Metro to the area and catch the shuttle up the hill). It then went past all the major stops.

We took the "Happy Train" back to the Plaka metro stop and took that to ship station and walked back to the ship.

One note: Depending upon where you ship dock at the pier the walk to the Metro stop is very easy to find or over a mile and more difficult. In hidesight for us, I am not sure we would have been able to find our way to the Metro stop to go to the Acropolis so the taxi was a good option.

Athens is pretty easy to do on your own. Just know your plan and hold strong against the annoying taxi drivers in the terminal.

We were fortunate to be in Athens on a cooler (mid 70's / late Sept.) which made walking around the city quite easy.

Athens - docked 7 am - 11 pm.

• Walked to the Metro Station & bought an all day ticket for 3E. Took the green line to Omonia, transferred to the red line and then 3 stops to the Akropoli stop.
  • Arrived at the Acropolis at approximately 9:15 & crowds were very light then.
  • Toured the Acropolis and museum until 11, by which time it had become quite crowded.
  • On to the Ancient Agora, through the Plaka to the Roman Agora and Tower of Winds, lunch at Thanassis in Monastiraki Square
  • Walked through the National Gardens to the Olympic Stadium, Temple of Zeus, back through the gardens to Syntagma Square & Parliament Building/Tomb of the Unknown Warrior.
  • Caught the subway at Syntagma to get to the National Archeological Museum for a quick tour.
  • At 4:30 headed to Lykavittos Hill. We could see it from the museum, so decided to walk to it. From the museum to the top of the hill, it took us approx. 1 hour. Walking down was much faster and easier! Once down, it was about a 15 minute walk to Evangelismos subway stop to transfer at Monastiraki and back to Piraeus....and on the ship by 7:15.

Great subway system in Athens!

Took the green line to Omonia, transferred to the red line and then 3 stops to the Akropoli stop.

Is that quicker than getting off at the Monastiraki stop and walking from there? That is what everyone seems to recommend.

Anyone know the cost of the funicular?

Is that quicker than getting off at the Monastiraki stop and walking from there?

It saves on walking distance (not sure about how much time it saves, but we came out right at the Acropolis).

You could also change from green to blue to red but I think it's quicker to go the extra stop to Omonia and just do one change to the red line.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Maps/Athens/Metro/AthensMetroMap.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Hotels/Athens/images/Metro/AthensMetroMap_print.htm&h=480&w=504&sz=30&tbnid=EGMgRLtiwINIxM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dathens%2Bmetro%2Bmap%26um%3D1&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2

Is that quicker than getting off at the Monastiraki stop and walking from there? That is what everyone seems to recommend.

Anyone know the cost of the funicular?

Getting off at Monastiraki allows you to get to the Acropolsi via the Roman Agora and the "real" Agora. The Acropolis is certainly fascinating, but everything there are simply god houses while the Agora is the actual foundation of democracy (and shady business practices involving Dick Chaney-like characters, but that is another story). On the neagative side, you will miss the Theater of Posideon -- the birthpalce of both tragedy and comedy -- unless you walk the other way and reenter the metro at the Acropolis station.

You will also be walking through the flea market -- either a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

Even though I don't enjoy the hassles of walking through flea market, I would still suggest the above route (Exit Monastiraki and return via Acropolis. Even if yo uare not interested in the birth place of democracy, this maximizes the downhill and walking and minimizes uphill trekking.

Paul

If you get to the Plaka area (Monastiraki station), be sure to visit the Ancient Agora, and the antiquities museum inside. Small but lots of artifacts on display, and much less crowded that the museum up on top at the Parthenon.

Getting off at Monastiraki allows you to get to the Acropolsi via the Roman Agora and the "real" Agora.

We did it in reverse order (Acropolis first, then the Ancient and Roman Agora) in order to beat the crowds at the Acropolis. Then it was a downhill walk to the Agoras, where there were very few people.

• 7 months later...
The thing about Lykavittos is that it really depends on the smog! We have been to Athens 4 times. The first 2 times the air was so polluted you could not see more than a few miles from the hill. The third time was quite memorable because Athens (and Greece) was in the midst of one of the worst heat waves in history (the same year that many dies in Chicago from heat) and when we got to Athens it was more than 124 degrees. In fact, it was so hot that the Greek government censored the weather reports so as not to frighten their people. But, there were quite a few deaths. Most of us stayed in our air conditioned hotels until after dark when the temperature dropped into the 90s. On the 4th trip we hit perfect conditions...it was in the 70s, and a cold front had totally cleared the air. We immediately walked to the funicular (its a bit of a hike) and went up the hill. We had an amazing view and you could see all the way to Pireaus (and beyond). And of course you could clearly see the Acropolis,, although its not nearly as good as being at the Acropolis. If you have "leg trouble" there is no way you can walk to the funicular,,,but you can certainly grab a taxi (make sure you read our other comments on the taxis). And good luck with the weather!

Hank

If it's 124 degrees in Athens when I get there, I'm stayin' on the ship!

Archived