Taxis and cuban food in Key West?

ambergloww

Hi all, My first question is where can we find a cuban bakery and or resturaunt in key west, and is it within walking distance from the pier? While I am on the subject of walking, if we are going to just hang out on duval street and malory square will we need to get a taxi or can we just walk. I Read a review recently where the passengers didn't make it back to malory square in time for sunset because it was too long a walk and they were exhausted, not sure where they were when they headed that way though. Thanks for any help.

I live in Key West and could probably tell you more than you want to know. :)

So, I'll stick to your questions posted.

As for Cuban restaurants...there are many! We have some favorites, but if you're going to be in the Mallory Square area, go to El Meson de Pepe, 410 Wall Street-Mallory Square, 305-295-2620. Their food is good and the prices are reasonable for Key West. I would say that our favorite Cuban restaurant is quite a walk from the cruise ship stop (20mins), but there are taxis everywhere that can take you. It is El Siboney, 900 Catherine Street, 305-296-4184. The food is incredible and the prices are lower than most other Cuban restaurants. But, this restaurant is pretty much cash only. And, no ambiance...the restaurant's look is cafeteria like with vinyl table clothes and metal chairs and somewhat dated, but the food is worth it. At night, there is a line out the door for a table. It's staff is authentic and the food is cooked beautifully.

As for a bakery, White Street Bakery has good Cuban bread, 1019 White Street, 305-294-1122...again a long haul from the cruise ship dock.

As for walking vs. taxi...it really depends on what time of year you are coming, how good of shape you're in, and how much of the island you want to visit. Apr-Sept can be hot and humid. Being from TX, you're probably used to some heat and humidity. Parking in downtown Key West can be a nightmare...my husband and I end up driving downtown, parking a great distance, and then doing a lot of walking. Most of the island that you'd want to see is downtown. There is more to the island, but as far as a tourist stop on the cruise ship, you'll be best staying and exploring all of downtown. Key West has a lot of side roads that lead to more confusing roads. People here joke that it is an island of concrete, b/c it's 4 miles by 2 miles and there is a lot packed on to it. :) I will caution you that it can be very hot downtown by Mallory Square and on Duval Street. Most of the buildings rise up enough to block what little wind there is some days. The review you read that said they didn't make it back for sunset is probably b/c they took their time walking away from downtown and lost track of how far away they were. Once they realized they had to hoof it to get back for sunset they were far enough away and really tired from the heat of having to walk hard and fast. I will tell you that sunset at Mallory Square is VERY popular. There can be parking grid lock downtown near sunset. But, it is something that should not be missed on a cloudless night. :) It is very entertaining with the vendors, side shows, and the beauty mother nature can show off.

Have a great trip, and post more questions if you'd like.

I generally agree with BudnBailey's thoughts on Meson de Pepe and El Siboney.....esp since I live literally around the corner from what my partner and I refer to as Elsie's.<G> If you end up at Meson de Pepe, you try one of their Mojitos, very tasty....if you have never had one, it a refreshing drink of limes, sugar, mint and lotz of rum.

Regarding the taxi issue, I believe that most folks can walk everywhere they want to go....if you have any concern, then I highly suggest renting a bike.(Its the only way I get around once I get off work) There are several companies in town that will bring them to you. Check out http://www.keywest.com and bring the phone number with you, when you get to town, give them a call and within 1/2 hour they will drop them by. Pretty cheap, generally aournd 12 bucks a day I think.

Hope you have a great visit!

Clay - a key west local

• 3 weeks later...

I'll third El Siboney. Have had a couple trips down from Tampa for the day (and longer when possible) and try to hit it for lunch. Definitely worth the stop even if you have to walk. Get away from downtown and see the real Key West!

We were just in Key West and the humidity is a killer (at least at this time of year). We ended up taking a cab everywhere we went. They charged by the person, and for the four of us, it was $2.50 per person ($10 per trip plus tip) every time we went from our hotel (Wyndham Reach) to Duval or Mallory Square.

We saw lots of these golf cart things, and tons of mopeds, but the cab worked the best for us. It may not have been the cheapest way to get around, but we had no problem finding a cab. We had a rental car, but we just left it at the hotel. Parking is a nightmare in Key West.

We didn't want to rent a bike, moped or golf cart thing because we planned on doing a lot of stopping at different shops and restaurants. We also did the trolley one day. It was well worth the money. We were able to get a great tour of Key West, and get on and off where we wanted.

Things are further spread out than you think. Or maybe we are just so totally out of shape it seems that way... :)

Archived