ST. Thomas pre-cruise hotel

MomC

I have tried to look this up under "search" with every possible wording combination, but never get a match. Is there a secret to finding the thread??

Sorry if this has already been answered before, but we are looking to fly into St. Thomas about 3 days before our cruise in January. We need suggestions for upscale resorts.

I know the cruise line uses the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. Does anyone know if they book you into an ocean view room; if so, is it at the main resort or the newer site--which is preferable? Feedback on the resort?

I know there is a Ritz Carlton, but I imagine their rates are way too high for us. We like good accomodations and usually stay at Hyatt Regency or Westins. Any suggestions for us???

Thanks,

Mom C

If you have 3 days pre-cruise, you could stay at the Westin on St. John. Very upscale resort & St. John is very different from St. Thomas. It's a 20-minute ferry ride from the Red Hook dock on St. Thomas. On day cruise departs, just take the ferry back to St. Thomas & a short taxi ride to where Windstar is docked. You'll arrive rested & ready to enjoy your cruise!

I'll also be on Wind Spirit Jan. 12, traveling with my sister (our husbands aren't fond of travel). We're reserved at the Green Iguana for our pre-cruise days. I first saw mention of the Green Iguana on this site. It sounded just about right for our tastes & budget.

A thread I started earlier may be of interest to you ("St. Thomas Departure Port" -- not too far below this thread).

• 1 month later...

We will be on the Jan 5th cruise. We are staying pre and post cruise and have stayed previously at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef with a water view room. Had a great view from our balcony of the entrance to the port. Each evening we drank wine and watched the ships leave port. The beach at Morningstar is nice. They were building the vacation club property next door in Jan 2006, but not sure if it is completed yet.

Any current info about Best Western Emerald Beach- price seems more reasonable than others. We stayed there about 3 years ago prior to Windsurf cruise. It was OK. Hotel right on nice beach, but rooms needed updating. Fun to watch planes take off from nearby airport. Trip Advisor comments don't seem too positive though, especially concerning customer service by staff.

• 2 weeks later...

My hubby and I are thinking about the Jan. 5th cruise. We went last December, but I got sea-sick every evening when we sailed. I never made it through one dinner. :(

We are currently booked on the Crown Princess but I keep going back and forth about the Crown and the Spirit. If I could find something that can assure me I wouldn't get ill I would do the Spirit without thinking twice!

I have never gotten seasick on any of the larger ships though, so maybe I just have to continue with those and lose out in the truly great experience a Windstar cruise really is.

Well, best of cruising to you, maybe I'll see you all on the ship,

Jan

Oh, almost forgot, St John is the way to go! Amazing Island and a few days there before your cruise and you will have the best time ever!!!!!

We booked the 1/19 cruise from St. Thomas to St. Thomas on Windstar a couple weeks ago and were lucky to get on that one. Most of the St. Thomas cruises are sold out. If you were thinking about Windspirit from St. Thomas, you may need to be flexible on the dates, if you can find space on any of the cruises.

Try Bonine once a day for seasickness, starting the day you board. We've never had symptoms if we take this once a day as directed.

Since we booked at the last minute, so to speak, the TA was not finding a pre-cruise hotel. We didn't want anything real elaborate for only one night and I found some good comments online about a small St. Thomas inn called the Green Iguana. They usually book a 3 night minimum but I called there about availability and they just so happened to have a room that they made available for a very good price the day before our cruise. Guest comments indicate this is a very clean inn and the rooms look spacious and nice, good location too. We lucked out!

• 4 weeks later...

Have you thought of spending a few nights in the British Virgin islands? Just a short 1 hr ferry ride from St. Thomas. Much more "carribbean" type atmosphere in the BVI. Less developed. Recomend Long Bay Resort on Tortola, or pricier Peter Island Resort and Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda.

Archived