May Weather Italian Coast

laurelguy

Was on Windsurf last July and it was really hot and crowded (but gorgeous of course) along French and Italian coasts. I'm booking for NEXT summer (yes, already) and am wondering if anyone has cruised in EARLY May?

Too cold to swim. But maybe fewer tourists? There's a May 4 Rome to Barcelona I've got my eye on...

Thanks!

Hi - I was just perusing the board for information about Puerto Caldera and saw your post. We just did a med cruise with RCCL - mid May and we had wonderful weather. Low to Mid 80's everyday. We went swimming twice - once in Split where the water was warm and once in Corfu where the water was cold but apparently it is not usually warm there at any time. The only "cool" experience was up on deck during sail aways where the breeze was often cool as it is coming off the cool sea. The seas by the way were tranquil the entire trip. Enjoy!

We were in Italy for two weeks last year in mid May (on a land tour)with part of the trip near the coast. The weather was upper 70's to low 80's in most places in the south of Italy.

This year we did a cruise on another line in late May and the temperatures were again in the same range BUT the crowds on the Amalfi coast, Capri, etc were already bad that early in the season. I think early May would be wonderful. Maybe you could get ahead of all the crowds that seem to have taken over Italy and Greece!

We were on Oceania's Venice to Rome last May (7th to 17th) and the weather was PERFECT! Low 80s, sunny skies, no rain. After hearing reports from friends who have cruised in the summer or fall, I have resolved to ALWAYS go to Europe in May!

I can't answer the crowds part though; since that was our first trip to Europe I have no basis of comparison. It didn't seem too crowded to me though.

That's what makes these BOARDS so great. When people take the time to respond...I really appreciate the info on May weather. By the way, did anyone read the post about the overbooking on Windsurf and crew being asked to give up their bunks!? Totally ridiculous and would never happen. Was a bit worried when I read the poster who HATED his recent Windsurf cruise..no-personality new captain, loud, obnoxious travellers, etc. I've always loved the Windstar line and hope this was just an oddity.

Happy sailing!:cool:

Archived