Negative things I've heard about Carnival

ottergirl

But will they go on Princess, Holland, Windjammer? If so, they are going on Carnival since Carnival owns them now. Along with many many other lines. I think RCCL, Celeberty, and Cunard are about the only one's not related to Carnival now.

Cunard is owned by Carnival........;)

If you consider that Carnival owns 7 or more cruises lines, including world class luxury liners and that Carnival services thousands and thousands of people every day, all those people must find something good about it.

I don't think Carnival would stay in business if they were all that bad. I've been RCCL and the food and service were far better on Carnival. It made me a fan!

:o I am sorry to upset anyone who might be a loyal Carnival fan. I have been told by some people I know to avoid Carnival for "something better," like RC. I have been looking at cruises and have basically avoided looking at anything Carnival, and I am now rethinking my choice after reading through the boards. Seems like many of you LOVE Carnival. They are very reasonable, that's for sure- and I just wanted to ask your opinions.

My aunts said avoid Carnival because of the (and I cringe even mentioning this) food bourne illness issues from the past. I've heard that the food is horrible compared to the other lines, and here I read it is wonderful. I've heard that the ships are "cheap" and "garrish" and there is a reason why they cost less- you get what you pay for...?

This will be like a honeymoon for me and my wonderful husband, and I want him to have a blast (so he will want to cruise over and over again!!!) LOL- no, also just because I want us to have a grand time together. We are in our early 30s, no kids yet.

Inform me please!

We chose Carnival for our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful time. Sure the decor was a bit gaudy. But the food was EXCELLENT. (We were on the Paradise.) We are in our early 30's. We left our kids home. The staff was friendly and we were impressed that they were in our room 2 times a day. We have stayed at 4 star hotels in San Francisco and nothing compared to the quality service we got on Carnival.

My daughter just graduated from college, so a few months back, my husband and I thought it would be nice to take her on a cruise. We had only been on Celebrity and Dolphin. The kids went with us on the Celebrity one. I started checking prices and destinations with a friend who is a travel agent. Carnival was really the most affordable. However, my husband wanted no parts of cruising on Carnival. He too had heard the horror stories from people at work. Nothing specific, just generally not a good cruise line. After I told him the rates for Carnival, he was willing to go for it. We were able to get the military discount, and booked 3 Balcony rooms for less than what other lines wanted for their OV. After we booked, a Military Friends and Family discount came up, so my son's balcony was discounted further. We have three grown kids and were able to treat them all to this cruise, something we would be unable to do otherwise. The extra's are on them of course!

My point is, I don't have any reservations going on this cruise, since I've read mostly positive things about it here on CC. Wherever I go, its to have a good time, and I believe you make your own fun. I'll be with my family, their friends and our friends. Oh yeah, after we told people about the cruise, we are 28 people! How can we NOT have a great time?

One of the things I'm looking forward to is the decor of the ship. Since my favorite land destination is Vegas, I'm sure I'll love it. And buffets? Oh yeah! Have a great cruise!

Eileen

About to take my first Carnival cruise in 51 days on the glory. I too heard how bad Carnival was, but still always wanted to try them anyway, now I get to.

Before my NCL Majesty cruise this winter, I read many bad reviews about this ship, how it was old and falling apart, this was simply not true, it was clean and well maintained, and it was one of the best cruise experiences I have had yet.

I figured that there are some people will never be satisfied, and are usually the most vocal. I saw a familiar face from home on this last cruise, and when I returned I ran into her and asked if she had a good time, she was thrilled by the experience, and she was an avid cruiser, so it wasn't just me with rose colored glasses.

MAC

My first CCL experience was on the small Inspiration, well now we're hooked. After sailing the large ships, then again the small ones, I'm drawn to the large ships for more amenities (choices of night life).

Now RCL has recently got me hooked, but don't think that our last two RCL choices didn't have me going back and forth against a carnival, which we would have loved just the same. The kids wanted the mariner for spring break and it was simply magnificent, worth the extra $$ for all the extras like the promanade, quality entertainment, rock climbing, ice skating, the activities and such. As adults will you really use all this?? Probably not.

we chose the Mariner second time because it was hurricane season and if the weather was lousy, we'd have plenty inside to do.

but for a regular cruise, out of a bad season, the large carnival ships are wonderful, and great bargins that you don't have to pay high price for entertainment, great food and fun.

It depends on what your looking for, I find RCL to be better, including the buffet, just not always worth the price.

I also felt that Carnival was not an exceptional cruise line, as you can see I cruised with them in 1986 on my honeymoon cruise and was not happy, we were in a suite and service was not as good as NCL with an inside cabin!!!

Just this last January I went on another Carnival cruise (7 of my good friends and I went), It was for a charity (part of our cruise fare went toward a local animal shelter) so I went.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised great service and we had a great time...so much so that we are going on another cruise this December (again part of the cruise fare is going to a local animal shelter)..

Another thing to keep in mind a lot depends on A) the captain of the particular ship, B) the ship itself, C) the crew (specifically the staff that wait on you and take care of you) and D) your own expectations

We had heard that Carnival ships are "party ships" and "there will be drunks everywhere." But we went on a 4-night Fantasy cruise and LOVED it! We stayed up late for the adult comedians but yet we never saw any real drunkeness anywhere. The food was wonderful, we found a bar server that we really connected with and it made the cruise even more enjoyable, the ship was clean, the crew was friendly and we only paid $299 each. We more than got our money's worth.

We've also cruised on Disney and Royal Caribbean, all the cruises were fun.

We will be on the Carnival Glory in six months and we can't wait!!

I have cruised Carnival twice and am booked on the Conquest in 16 days (not that I am counting). I feel in love with cruising and with Carnival the first time I tried it. The ships were spotlessly clean, the staff was very nice, and the food was awesome. I do regularly dine in 4-5 star estblishments and I think it is fair to say that NO mass market cruise line like Carnival. RCCL, NCL, or others will have five star dining. However, what you will find is excellent food that is well prepared, great service, and very nice dining rooms. The activities are varied to please all age groups, and there is something for everyone. Cruising is indeed what you make of it. My family and I could probably have fun on a tramp steamer or the QM2.

Book one of Carnival's newer ships, and if you can afford book a balcony cabin. Cruise is one of the best vacation values on the market, and Carnival is the world leader in the industry. Millions of people have sailed with them and come back over and over again for a reason.

To use part of a line from a Head East song....

There's never been any reason for us to sail on any other line. For our first 2 cruises my DW made the arrangements and she picked Carnival. For this year's cruise, she told me that it was my choice of when, where and on what line. I chose Carnival because I happen to like the style of cruising that CCL offers. Laid back, relaxed, and fun. I can't imagine what else one would need from a vacation. And as far as the decor is concerned, OK maybe it IS a bit Las Vegas, I'm not gonna live there permanently, (I wish) so what's the difference?

The lady had a great time on Carnival but felt she still had bash them?

Can't she just give an honest opinion?

It sounds to me like she was worried about impressing people, so thought bashing Carnival would help her seem "upscale".

You comment that you have read bad things about the food.

I would think that a meal with escargot, lobster and a big caesar salad was heavenly. My husband would think you were trying to poison him. I like my steaks rare. Many people likes theirs well done. I would think I was being poisoned!

When so many people cruise, it's hard to get it all right the first time for everyone. But that's what is so great about cruising - don't like it, just order something different. And the free room service is great too. I cruised a couple of times before I found out room service is free. (Yes, I tip but relatively little, a buck or two to the delivery person.)

Food is so subjective. I wouldn't base a cruise on that.

You will definitely find a younger crowd on Carnival than any other cruise line I've cruised.

Have a great honeymoon!

And don't forget you can order as much quantity and as much variety as you want. If you don't like something, order something else. When you have a good waiter, they will actually encourage you to do so, if it seems you're not eating your food. They are like a grandmother, they practically cry if they think you don't like your food. lol

If I may present another perspective: I wonder if someone takes her first cruise on a large, new ship, couldn't that lessen the chances of being pleased on an older, smaller ship on a subsequent cruise? Just a thought...in the same vein, I'm glad we hadn't read a whole lot about cruising before we went, because our perspective was truly our own & not colored by our expectations. Now I feel like I'll be aware of every little thing...because I can't seem to rip myself away from these dadgum boards!:D [quote)

I tend to agree. We didn't find this board until last year. In many ways, it would have been helpful to have it all along. But I cannot even decribe to you my reaction on my first cruise to the whole experience, because I was not expecting the level of service and pampering I received. I was totally in awe and that is one reason I love cruising so much. Where else can the average person get such service? I personally have never experienced it anywhere else in my entire life. (Except probabably from my Mother when I was way too little to appreciate it.:) )

We're going on our first Carnival cruise in September...on one of the older, smaller ships. Frankly, it's because we got a great deal on a port that's within driving distance for us. I think because our first 2 cruises were on older, smaller ships, I have less chance of being disappointed (not by Carnival, but by the ship). I can gradually make my way to the big, new ones. Although by the time I get there, they probably won't be the new ones anymore!

While the newer ships are beautiful with many amenities, etc., in my opinion, you just can't beat the intimate atmosphere of the smaller ships. We love the Celebration and the main reason is the size. These ships will probably be gone from the fleet soon, so if you want to experience them, the time is now.

If I may present another perspective: I wonder if someone takes her first cruise on a large, new ship, couldn't that lessen the chances of being pleased on an older, smaller ship on a subsequent cruise? Just a thought...in the same vein, I'm glad we hadn't read a whole lot about cruising before we went, because our perspective was truly our own & not colored by our expectations. Now I feel like I'll be aware of every little thing...because I can't seem to rip myself away from these dadgum boards!:D

I understand the concept, but I've encountered several friends and acquaintances who have been on a cruise on a smaller older ship and have decided that it isn't a very good way to vacation and don't plan to try it again. I think the newer bigger ships have a better chance of creating a great first impression that may encourage them again. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, folks, please stop with the "if they don't like Carnival, they've never been on Carnival." The reason that there are so many different cruise lines is that everyone has different tastes. I happen to love RCI and not care for Carnival, but I know that everyone has different experiences, expectations, wants and needs. There are many devoted Carnival fans and there are also many that have had negative experiences on Carnival...IMHO, the same as pretty much any cruise line.

I understand the concept, but I've encountered several friends and acquaintances who have been on a cruise on a smaller older ship and have decided that it isn't a very good way to vacation and don't plan to try it again. I think the newer bigger ships have a better chance of creating a great first impression that may encourage them again. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, folks, please stop with the "if they don't like Carnival, they've never been on Carnival." The reason that there are so many different cruise lines is that everyone has different tastes. I happen to love RCI and not care for Carnival, but I know that everyone has different experiences, expectations, wants and needs. There are many devoted Carnival fans and there are also many that have had negative experiences on Carnival...IMHO, the same as pretty much any cruise line.

But how can someone say "they don't like something, if they have never tried it"? It's like me saying I don't like Princess or RC or HAL. How do I know I don't like it when I have never taken a cruise on those lines? Well I don't know if I will like it or not, until I actually try them right. You have been on a Carnival cruise and you don't like it....that is fine. But for people to make comments about something they never tried is rather ridiculous IMO. Reminds me of when my kids were small and they didn't want to eat something because they said they didn't like it. I said try it, you just might like it and most of the time they did. :)

Here's one more vote for Carnival. We LOVE Carnival. It's a great family vacation for us - the kids love it, we get to relax, and it's a fabulous experience from beginning to end. Nothing's perfect, but Carnival gets pretty darned close.

Yes, some of the ships are a bit.....tacky. We've got the Fantasy in New Orleans now, and I have to say it is a really subdued ship in terms of the decor, compared to some of the other ships. I like it a lot. We'll be on the Fantasy for the third time this September. Conquest is my favorite ship, but the Fantasy class ships are excellent also.

I'm a fairly picky eater, and I love the food on Carnival. We generally eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but never for dinner. I've only had one bad entree on my 7 cruises, and the beauty of it all is that if you don't like what you ordered, you can order something else!

We'll be trying NCL for this first time in December, and I'm a little nervous about "jumping ship" so to speak, but it's the only 7 day out of NOLA right now. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm sure I'll be back to Carnival in 2008.

I got sick with the noro virus on my Princess cruise and so did 1/3 of passengers. Food isn't any different on Princess and Carnival, different menus to be sure, but it was overall just as good on the one as the other, at least to my French taste buds!

But how can someone say "they don't like something, if they have never tried it"? It's like me saying I don't like Princess or RC or HAL. How do I know I don't like it when I have never taken a cruise on those lines? Well I don't know if I will like it or not, until I actually try them right. You have been on a Carnival cruise and you don't like it....that is fine. But for people to make comments about something they never tried is rather ridiculous IMO. Reminds me of when my kids were small and they didn't want to eat something because they said they didn't like it. I said try it, you just might like it and most of the time they did. :)

It seems the prevailing sentiment is that anyone who doesn't like Carnival or speaks poorly of it cannot have sailed it. I understand that we are on the CCL board, but the question was about truth n the negative sentiment. Most people seem to have assumed that any naysayers have never sailed. I disagree. I think that there are quite a number of patrons who have sailed CCL and do not like it. I also think that there are quite a number of patrons that have sailed a number of other lines and don't like them. It's a consequence of differing tastes. I personally think that the reason there are more complaints about CCL is because of volume. CCL is the most sailed line. More patrons, hence more that like and more that dislike the line. I think by percentages, it would probably be close to other lines, but with the volume, there are more people out there complaining. And that conveys to more second-hand relaying and hence the reputation evolves.

It seems the prevailing sentiment is that anyone who doesn't like Carnival or speaks poorly of it cannot have sailed it. I understand that we are on the CCL board, but the question was about truth n the negative sentiment. Most people seem to have assumed that any naysayers have never sailed. I disagree. I think that there are quite a number of patrons who have sailed CCL and do not like it. I also think that there are quite a number of patrons that have sailed a number of other lines and don't like them. It's a consequence of differing tastes. I personally think that the reason there are more complaints about CCL is because of volume. CCL is the most sailed line. More patrons, hence more that like and more that dislike the line. I think by percentages, it would probably be close to other lines, but with the volume, there are more people out there complaining. And that conveys to more second-hand relaying and hence the reputation evolves.

I'm not referring to the people who have sailed CCL and don't like it. I'm referring to the people who HAVEN'T sailed with them and say they don't like it.

I agree! We started out on the Fascination 3 night, loved it, and went to the Imagination 4 night loved it, and now am doing the Valor 7 nights in Sept. LOVE CARNIVAL........... friendly, easy atmosphere, can't see a reason to try anything else !

I don't know how far you live from a port, but if you are uneasy about Carnival why not try a 3 or 4 night "demo" cruise before you go on your honeymoon? The shorter cruises are on smaller, older ships. My first cruise 8 years ago was a 4 day on the Fantasy. My DH and I had been considering cruising for a while and just decided to give it a try. We are both hooked! I have sailed Disney and Princess, but I keep coming back to Carnival for their friendly service and value for the dollar.

I think Carnival owns Princess or RC, so all those people are really on Carnival. All I know is that we love Carnival and wouldn't cruise any other line:)

Carnival doesn't own RCI but they do own Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Costa, P&O, P&O Australia, AIDA, Ocean Village, and the Yachts of Seaborn. Wow that's a mouthful!

MAC

But will they go on Princess, Holland, Windjammer? If so, they are going on Carnival since Carnival owns them now. Along with many many other lines. I think RCCL, Celeberty, and Cunard are about the only one's not related to Carnival now.

1) As a previous poster mentioned, Carnival does own Cunard

2) Carnival doesn't own Windjammer (They used to own Windstar, but not any more)

As far as the quality of CCL, I have been on the Glory and loved the ship, food, service (especially in the dining room), etc. and would definatly sail on CCL again, even though I prefer NCL and Princess (as can be seen by my signature). Even though I enjoyed the Glory, I never plan to sail on one of the older ships in the CCL fleet (pre-Destiny class) due partly to what I have heard from others, but mostly due to the professional reviews that I have read. I know that sounds hypocritical, but I just can't see a reason for booking a cruise on a less-classy ship with less to do when I can enjoy the newer ships now available.

Then again, I cruised on the NCL Majesty (The second oldest and second smallest of the NCL ships) and absolutly fell in love with her, but she has a totally different feel than the ships of the CCL Holiday and Paridise classes (MUCH more subdued)

Even so, any cruise is better than none at all.

1) As a previous poster mentioned, Carnival does own Cunard

2) Carnival doesn't own Windjammer (They used to own Windstar, but not any more)

As far as the quality of CCL, I have been on the Glory and loved the ship, food, service (especially in the dining room), etc. and would definatly sail on CCL again, even though I prefer NCL and Princess (as can be seen by my signature). Even though I enjoyed the Glory, I never plan to sail on one of the older ships in the CCL fleet (pre-Destiny class) due partly to what I have heard from others, but mostly due to the professional reviews that I have read. I know that sounds hypocritical, but I just can't see a reason for booking a cruise on a less-classy ship with less to do when I can enjoy the newer ships now available.

Then again, I cruised on the NCL Majesty (The second oldest and second smallest of the NCL ships) and absolutly fell in love with her, but she has a totally different feel than the ships of the CCL Holiday and Paridise classes (MUCH more subdued)

Even so, any cruise is better than none at all.

I was concerned that I wouldn't care for the majesty, but there just is something about that ship that made me fall in love with her. All the things that most would call negatives I found positives. And I had only done 70,000 grt ships and larger.

MAC

Archived