Convincing beach lover to go to Alaska

We just started cruising in 2005 and I'm totally hooked. :D We have done the eastern, western, southern and doing the southern caribbean again next March. How can I convince my beach-loving husband to take a cruise to Alaska? He absolutely loves all types of nature and scenery but says when he gets on a ship, he wants to go to the beach. :( He has seen pictures of Alaska, even watched the Radiance in Alaska on the Travel Channel but he's not budging yet. I want to go for my 40th birthday so I still have a few years of convincing to do. ;) Is there anyone out there who went to Alaska not sure if they would like it or not? I really think he will love it, maybe even more than me. Any helpful hints out there?? :eek:

We just started cruising in 2005 and I'm totally hooked. :D We have done the eastern, western, southern and doing the southern caribbean again next March. How can I convince my beach-loving husband to take a cruise to Alaska? He absolutely loves all types of nature and scenery but says when he gets on a ship, he wants to go to the beach. :( He has seen pictures of Alaska, even watched the Radiance in Alaska on the Travel Channel but he's not budging yet. I want to go for my 40th birthday so I still have a few years of convincing to do. ;) Is there anyone out there who went to Alaska not sure if they would like it or not? I really think he will love it, maybe even more than me. Any helpful hints out there?? :eek:

Sorry - I am with your husband!!! If I can't put on a swimsuit and bake in the sun, it is not a vacation - and we LIVE in Florida!!!!. Honestly, my 3 sisters and their husbands are planning an Alaskan cruise in a couple of years, and I already told them not to even THINK that we would be going. We will cruise the Caribbean the rest of our lives and never get sick of it! Luckily, my DH loves the beach as much as I do. He was stationed in Alaska in the service and said he would NEVER go back. Way to cold for us, even in the summertime.

So your DH has my vote to go back to the islands and enjoy that wonderful sun and beach!!!

Sorry - I am with your husband!!! If I can't put on a swimsuit and bake in the sun, it is not a vacation - and we LIVE in Florida!!!!. Honestly, my 3 sisters and their husbands are planning an Alaskan cruise in a couple of years, and I already told them not to even THINK that we would be going. We will cruise the Caribbean the rest of our lives and never get sick of it! Luckily, my DH loves the beach as much as I do. He was stationed in Alaska in the service and said he would NEVER go back. Way to cold for us, even in the summertime.

So your DH has my vote to go back to the islands and enjoy that wonderful sun and beach!!!

What you said, RIGHT ON. We had enough Michigan winters give me the warm beaches or deck chair. Our dear TA has been trying for years to get us to Alaska, I think she has finally given up.

I was able to talk my shorts-lovin' t-shirt-wearin' DH into an Alaskan cruise for our 10th anniversary in '04. All of our previous vacations had been somewhere tropical- Hawaii, Belize, Philippines... it was definitely time to do something different. DH turned me loose on researching the different ships and itineraries, and we ended up with a 7-day on the Serenade which was great. Besides the great scenery, I think the excursions are what stood out the most- a much more active cruise than I thought it would be. We went horseback riding in Skagway (actually booked with a company that took us in to the Yukon), helicopter ride and glacier landing in Juneau, and kayaking in Ketchikan on our actual anniversary. The weather was absolutely perfect all week- we went at the beginning of August. We still think of this trip as being one of our favorites...

Good luck... I hope he agrees... I'm sure it will be a trip the two of you will never forget!

My husband just hates cruising all around, no matter where it's to. (Yeah, I know....I started cruising AFTER I married him....) I just booked an Alaskan cruise (for my 40th birthday!) and he was like, "You didn't book me on that did you?" I said, "Of course not!" There was a little pause, and then, "Good." But ever since then he has been quizzing me--"How many days is it?" "How many sea days are there?" He's just the opposite, he doesn't like sun & sand. I think he might even come around eventually for this cruise. I'm already booked in a cabin that holds 3, so I might secretly add his name to the booking & put down a deposit for him too. That way, in case he still won't go when it's final payment time, I can just pull him off and put his deposit towards paying off the rest of the cruise.

I have no ideas for you. My husband is the same way. I love the beach as much as him but he won't do cold. Maybe we could go together and leave the two men at home.

Ann

Well, I'm certainly not going to tell him the response that I got here. :p He loves cruising too and after we did the western caribbean this year, I said "what should be do next?", thinking he *might* say Alaska. He says "let's do them all over again!". :rolleyes: Believe me, I love getting off the ship and going to the beach. In fact, it took me years (17 to be exact) to even get him to go ON a cruise. I just keep hearing how beautiful Alaska is and that is something I want to try at least once. I'm happy with the Caribbean but I'm going to get to Alaska one way or another!! ;)

Give it a few years! My DH has a winter weather job, so he is out in the snow and ice all winter. If I even HINTED at going to Alaska he cringed. Then, a few years ago we stayed in a small B & B and at breakfast one morning another couple was talking about their trip to Alaska. They made it sound so magical. Then of course there's the global warming... DH woke up one night and told me he wanted to go to Alaska before all the glaciers were melted! I didn't tell him I thought that was quite a ways off, I just booked it and we are going for our first time this September!

It also helped that 2 years ago I found a great deal on a repositioning cruise that left from Quebec and ended in FLL. I convinced him that we would see beautiful scenery first and would end up on the beach at the end of the week. He just LOVED Quebec and Cornersbrook Newfoundland and the cold weather stigma melted a little.

Good luck and if all else fails, it's your 40th B-Day... go without him if you have to! :D

I'm NOT a beach person. The thought of just laying around when there is so much stuff to do, boggles me.

We do cruises based solely on itinerary - and there has to be a lot of ports with lots of stuff other than just beaches (heck, I turn the furnace up, sweat, and drink heavily at home!)

AK has a number of things going for it. There is great hiking and climbing and nature watching in almost all ports. We've rented bikes, snow shoed, dog sledded. There is great history (Sitka has the Russian stuff - the cathedral and the national park. Ketchikan has the gold rush history). If you are into heavy drinking, there are famous bars in Juneau and Ketichikan and a really great brewery in Juneau as well.

While at sea, grab a deck chair and sit and watch the scenery go by -- it is all gorgeous! Waterfalls, wildlife, etc. If it is a bit chilly, if you are on a great ship like Radiance - there are enough indoor viewing areas to make anyone happy.

There IS more to life than the caribean! By limiting yourselves to those itineraries you are limiting your life -- try AK, Candian Maritine, Baltic, Med, HI, Tahiti, Australia, NZ, etc!

I can relate as my husband and I are beach lovers as well and NEVER thought we could have a good time on an Alaska cruise. Well, my in-laws booked the entire family on an Alaska Cruise - they were footing the bill so who were we to complain about the itinerary? So we grudgingly went along with the rest of the family.

To our surprise we LOVED it!! It is still one of our favorite cruises. Now granted I wouldn't want to go every year as I really do need my beach and tropical drinks by the pool but would go again in a heartbeat! As another poster said the excursions are the key to this cruise. There are so many amazing adventures to choose from such as helicoptor ride to a glacier, whale watching trips, panning for gold, the list is amazing. The scenery is absolutey breathetaking on this trip - viewing moose and elk from your balcony in the morning while waiting for breakfast and spotting Whale spouts in the dining room during dinner is truly an experience not to be missed.

I highly recommend a balcony for this trip! In fact I would not cruise Alaska without a balcony. My only complaint about Alaska is that it is so hard to pack!! On our cruise the temps ranged from 77 degrees to 40 degrees (while cruising the hubbard glacier). We packed swim suits AND Mittens!!

Our two boys are 3 & 7 and happily cruising the Caribbean with us - however just as soon as we feel they are old enough to appreciate Alaska (probably when they're 7 & 11) we will be heading off to the great white north with them!!

I say since it is your 40th birthday he HAS to oblige!! I will bet you anything that he will love it and will ask to go again in just a few years!!

sorry I am with your husband on this one. I live at Lake Tahoe, I love it here, but we have pine trees here same in Alaska, the water is cold here, it is colder there. Bears are in Alaska, we have one that eas out of our trash can, a racoon was in my back yard a few days ago. sorry but give a warm beach for vacation.

I appreciate all the responses. Since he loves history, nature, etc., I KNOW he will love this cruise. The thought of seeing whales, bears (not in my backyard ;) ), glaciers, etc. sounds so wonderful. I think he'll come around. I have 4 years until my big 4-0 so I still have some time. :D

I had to be talked into our Alaska cruise in June 05, now I'm the one begging to go back. There is so much to see and do and it is absolutly beautiful. I agree about the balcony, it's a must!

We were the same way, except in 2004 I had a melanoma removed. The following year we were celebating our 15th anniversary and wanted to go on a cruise. We both looked at each other and said ALASKA!! It was amazing, we are both very active and enjoyed kayaking and biking riding and the incredible scenery. Don't rule out the bathing suits either because I have a picture of he two of us in Skagway by the pool in bathing. Don't get me wrong not everyday was bathing suit weather. It is so worth it, we are ooking to do a b2b trip in the next couple of years.

Good luck convincing him.

I appreciate all the responses. Since he loves history, nature, etc., I KNOW he will love this cruise. The thought of seeing whales, bears (not in my backyard ;) ), glaciers, etc. sounds so wonderful. I think he'll come around. I have 4 years until my big 4-0 so I still have some time. :D

Alaska was definately the trip of a lifetime for me. I loved the whales:) The Glaciers and scenery were excellent. The people were great too. Good luck convincing your husband:)

You know, I totally understand your situation-me and DH are beach lovers, and every year we cruise with my DM, and she is trying to talk us into Alaska in 2009. I just don't like being cold, and to me, a trip isn't a vacation without sun, swimming and beaches. I don't know if she will be able to convince me anymore than you can convince your DH.

However, you said he is a nature lover, use that angle. See, I don't like bugs or fish touching me, nor am I a hunter, hiker or fisher, so I don't think the nature thing would work on me, but with your DH, it might!!:D

Good luck.

ahhh... i love the caribbean cruises, but the alaska cruise i took was just something unbelievable... the sights and activities... it is, however a different kind of trip... as they say.... You go to Alaska to SEE the wildlife, you go to the Caribbean to BE the wildlife:D

There IS more to life than the caribean! By limiting yourselves to those itineraries you are limiting your life -- try AK, Candian Maritine, Baltic, Med, HI, Tahiti, Australia, NZ, etc!

I am sure that is true - however, for us, there is no where else we want to go. DH was born and raised in Europe - has no desire to go back. We are just beach people and for us the best vacation in the world is laying on a beach with a cold drink and doing nothing. So while you might think we are "missing" out on life by not going other places, we absolutely do not feel that way. Everyone is different and that is what makes the world go round. I will never feel I am limiting myself by not going other places. And if someday we do decide to try somewhere else, then we will. But for now, the Caribbean is the only place we want to be.

ahhh... i love the caribbean cruises, but the alaska cruise i took was just something unbelievable... the sights and activities... it is, however a different kind of trip... as they say.... You go to Alaska to SEE the wildlife, you go to the Caribbean to BE the wildlife:D

Never heard that one before but I like it!! :D

You know, I totally understand your situation-me and DH are beach lovers, and every year we cruise with my DM, and she is trying to talk us into Alaska in 2009. I just don't like being cold, and to me, a trip isn't a vacation without sun, swimming and beaches. I don't know if she will be able to convince me anymore than you can convince your DH.

However, you said he is a nature lover, use that angle. See, I don't like bugs or fish touching me, nor am I a hunter, hiker or fisher, so I don't think the nature thing would work on me, but with your DH, it might!!:D

Good luck.

I do not hunt or fish but found plenty to do in Alaska. My son went 2 weeks before we did and it was HOT!

We took a helicopter and landed on the glacier , that was an experience of a lifetime . But then again I leave near the beach so I do not need to go away to be near it.

Since we usually only cruise once a year (when my girls are out of school for Easter break), he likes the idea of getting on a ship, off at a beach. And I totally understand that. It's a very relaxing type of vacation for us, even if we are sort of on the go at the ports. We like to go to the beach and relax and aren't really "excursion" type people. In the past three years, we have only done one excursion and that was in Barbados. I think that is why he is not into going to Alaska right now because it seems you have to do excursions in port. What I need to do is plan TWO cruises a year (at least for one year) and that way I could get in Alaska and beaches. ;)

I do not hunt or fish but found plenty to do in Alaska. My son went 2 weeks before we did and it was HOT!

We took a helicopter and landed on the glacier , that was an experience of a lifetime . But then again I leave near the beach so I do not need to go away to be near it.

Funny, I live 5 minutes from the best beaches in LA, and I rarely go to them, because I don't consider LA beches as THE BEACH. So even though I too live close, I must have a clean, sparkling, foreign beach on my vacation!!;) :D

My best friend in college was from Alaska, and tried everything to get me there, it's just not my cup of tea. I know lots of folks love it though. I'm just not a mountainy, lakey type. I like beach, ocean or even the desert, just not mountains.

Since we usually only cruise once a year (when my girls are out of school for Easter break), he likes the idea of getting on a ship, off at a beach. And I totally understand that. It's a very relaxing type of vacation for us, even if we are sort of on the go at the ports. We like to go to the beach and relax and aren't really "excursion" type people. In the past three years, we have only done one excursion and that was in Barbados. I think that is why he is not into going to Alaska right now because it seems you have to do excursions in port. What I need to do is plan TWO cruises a year (at least for one year) and that way I could get in Alaska and beaches. ;)

If you go in July and can taske an extra few days Vancouver is beautiful and you can hang out at the beach there. I can't remember the names but there are beaches in Stanley Park.

Archived