same itinerary-different lines

LookingForward2

RCCL vs. Celebrity

I am considering a 4 night cruise on February 14, 2008. Itinerary is exactly the same: Key West, Cozumel, day at sea.

My two ship options are RC Granduer out of Tampa

X Century out of Miami

Price for same room type is a little lower on Celebrity.

Any pros or cons that would help me decide?

I've also posted this on the RC board

thanks!

Here's a big pro or con to consider: what are your costs in terms of time and money of getting to and from Tampa versus getting to and from Miami? That could make the difference -- for instance, I chose an Alaska cruise out of Seattle versus one out of Vancouver because the airfare to Seattle was over $350 less than to Vancouver. Similarly, I'm taking a 5-night Century cruise out of Miami with my parents but am going to the extra effort (in terms of time) of flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale because my parents' tickets are about $150 per person cheaper going through Fort Lauderdale.

So consider your transportation to/from your cruise in your decision, too.

we have to fly in from Pittsburgh and so far the airfare is about the same.

We usually fly into Ft. Lauderdale when we cruise from Miami also.

I think I'm just trying to compare ships themselves, been on RC, not on Celebrity.

We are two couples travelling, us 50, them mid-30s (it's their 10th anniversary).

Well, my choice is to take Century because I've been dying to see her since she got refurbished. She was my first Celebrity ship, and I'm taking my parents on her this coming January.

The last RCCL cruise I did was so long ago that I truly couldn't say how an RCCL ship would compare to Century. I keep meaning to try another RCCL cruise, but so far it just hasn't happened. Maybe I'll grab a girlfriend and go on one to Mexico or something, I'm having itchy feet right now!

I would second Leela's comments about the Century, as I have heard some good comments about the refurbishment. The granduer is also a very nice ship, and the Vision class ships are very bright, with lots of glass and very well laid out deck plans.

I think that the cruise terminal in Tampa is far less crowded than Miami, and we found that that is much easier to get to and from the airport. Embarkation and debarkation were also much better organized, and quicker at the Tampa cruise terminal. It's a tough call, but I am sure that either ship is going to provide an excellent cruise experience.

Petert

We have no RCCL ship to compare, as we are novice cruisers. We were on Century in April 2007, and thoroughly enjoyed the ship, food, and amenities (our steward was just 'OK', but still kept the cabin neat,etc.) Century looks great - not too big a ship, everything was easy to get to - restaurants, venues, etc. Of course the food was yummy. We had top-notch waiters as well. If you choose Celebrity, I do not think she will disappoint you. We drove down to Miami from the Daytona Beach area, and although it (the terminal)was hectic, it wasn't overwhelming. Whichever you choose, I hope it's a wonderful cruise!!

I have been on Galaxy and Mercury, sister ships to Century. I would choose Century over Grandeur, which is also an older ship. I think the food and service will be better and also passenger /space ratio should be better. I have sailed RCL twice and have 2 RCl and 2 Celebrity booked at the moment.

We cruised Century last Dec. She is lovely and we had a great time. We arrived in Miami 2 days early and rented a car which we dropped off at the Hertz location near the pier. They shuttled us to the ship....no problem at all. That being said, we have no experience with RCCL.

Archived