Weight Watchers or Not

trbutler

Please help me! I am about 75 lbs overweight and I am tired of it. Two years ago my husband purchased a program through the gym we were members of and I lost 25 lbs, but now I gained it all back. The problem was it was VERY structured you had 7 different days to choose from and it had exactly what you had to eat that day, I had a problem because there was NO flexibilty, I prefer to have options. I am on the road alot for my job so sometimes I don't have time to stop and eat a full meal for lunch.

My question is would anyone suggest the Weight Watchers online program? Has anyone had a success and is there flexibilty in what you eat, it is just my husband and I and I am NOT making two seperate meals every day and he gets very tired of chicken all the time.

Any suggestions?

I would say - yes, yes, yes!!! WW is a wonderful program that you should find very flexible since it's online. I've been on the program since December and have lost 25.5 lbs. I have a transatlantic cruise coming up in 3 weeks and my goal is to be down 30 by then. It has taken me a long time, but it's stayed off. I've learned how to control myself and my portions and I really do love exercise now. I don't overdo anything. I used to do that and I would just have to start over. Now, I feel much healthier. I've got a lot to lose, but I'm on my way. I think you'll love WW online. Much success and happiness!!:)

I haven't done WW myself, but I think the key to any successful diet program is to choose one that will not only fit your lifestyle and food preferences (not including cookies, candies & cakes! :D ) but one that you can stick to for the rest of your life.

If you've checked through some of the other threads on this board, you will find people doing many different plans. Some have success on one but not another. Also, you'll notice that we often refer to our "diets" as our Way of Eating (WOE) because we've made the committment to stay on our plans for the rest of our lives.

It's difficult when you have to cook for other members of your family as well as yourself. Being creative can be exhausting! When I went on my WOE, I cooked things that I could eat (with smaller portions) and that my family would enjoy too. I would usually add an extra veggie for me and leave out the bread. It wasn't long before my husband joined me in my WOE and 40 pounds later for him and 28 pounds later for me we're glad we made the change!

Sorry I didn't answer your WW question directly, but I wanted you to know that you will find support here for whatever plan you choose. I'm sure that there's someone that will give you more info on WW Online.

Good luck!

Lynn

I love the WW Online program. I just started back on it after being off the plan for about one year. I find the program to be very flexible, and I like that I can eat whatever foods I want to eat without restriction. I also have found that if I eat high volume/low-point foods, I'm almost never hungry.

This is truly the only plan that I've tried where I've had success. Give it a try!

Regina

It depends what kind of personality you are & how good you are at sticking to a plan. I personally could never do WW online as I need that weekly weigh-in so I don't cheat. :p Now I have gotten better with my eating habits so probably could do it online, but definitely could not have at the beginning.

WW is a great program, but personally I would suggest going to an actual meeting if you have one close by.

You should look at WW as a change in lifestyle - I have been a lifetimer since 1978 and had to go back in Jan of 2003 for a "fix" - Love the Flex Plan - it has become a way of life for me and for my husband - it really is just getting used to portion sizes that are normal, making good food choices and following that - journaling and weekly meetings are great - I understand there are some new modifications coming next week to WW - so it would be a great time to start - also - read Dr. Phil's book about weight loss - it really is a state of mind and the body follows - new habits for old - exercise - moderate portions - these days I am maintaining beautifully and love it! I think you will find that with this method of eating, you can do it for life - it ISN"T a diet - it is a change in lifestyle!

I lost 75 pounds on Weight Watchers in the late 1980s, and kept it off for about two years. (I not only gained back the 75, but another 10, and then subsequently lost 100 on Health Management Resources -- HMR -- and have basically kept that off for almost 2 1/2 years.) WW is a good program, though I feel that the Points system is inferior to the older Exchanges system. Many folks have relayed how open-ended the Points system is, and how it basically allows you to eat unhealthfully, if you choose to. The Exchanges system required that you got at least a certain amount of protein (and even that was barely sufficient to spare LBM), whereas such structure is only a suggested aspect of the Points system. My recommendation for anyone considering WW is to use it, sure, but focus yourself to engage the program in the most active and structured way. Treat every requirement as a commandment; treat every suggestion as a requirement. Don't get "sold a bill-of-goods" with all the advertising about how simple it is, and how you have all this freedom to eat whatever you want and do whatever you want, etc. If it was easy, we wouldn't have 65% of American adults overweight!

The specific program you use is much less important than making whatever you choose a permanent part of your life. Even keeping the weight off two years is no guarantee. So starting with a firm foundation, dedicating yourself to eating this way and exercising this way (whatever ways they may be) for life is critical. Anything you view as temporary will probably be temporary, and have only temporary benefits.

I have done WW about 20 times, every time I lose, but as soon as I go off, I gain at least that amount back and more than not, much more. I think WW is a good program for people who can "control" themselves. It is way to unstructured for me. I have been on the LA Weight Loss program now for 8 weeks, have lost 18 pounds and feel terrific. It works for me because it's very structured. WW offered me way too many choices - chocolate, brownies, cookies, are you kidding - there is no way I could only eat an ounce of chocolate and be satisfied. I'm better doing without it. Hope it works for you.

I have done WW about 20 times, every time I lose, but as soon as I go off, I gain at least that amount back and more than not, much more. I think WW is a good program for people who can "control" themselves. It is way to unstructured for me. I have been on the LA Weight Loss program now for 8 weeks, have lost 18 pounds and feel terrific. It works for me because it's very structured. WW offered me way too many choices - chocolate, brownies, cookies, are you kidding - there is no way I could only eat an ounce of chocolate and be satisfied. I'm better doing without it. Hope it works for you.

You are missing the point of WW - you don't go OFF it - it becomes a lifestyle that you follow - it's really all about portion control and sensible choices - there is NO magic formula!

Joined WW yesterday at work, they have a new program called the Core Program, its great and I find it fits my life style alot better than the flex points one. They still have the flex point program, this Core Program has been added and I have found it wonderful so far. We'll see how wonderful it is when I get on the scale next week.

kathyjack, I agree with mkazmer WW has to be a NEW Way of Life. Yes, you can go off for one day maybe two or a week on a cruise;) but you really have to follow it forever. I have been a Life Time member of WW for 20 years and I have been to goal about 5 times and yes I have let myself regain and yes I have gained more than I weighed the time before. But, I have learned through all this that I have to make a life style change. Since January I have lost 45 pounds, I have not attended meetings or followed WW on line but I have followed Old WW program from years ago, watching my calorie intake, getting veggies, fruit, low carbs and protein in every day. I drink my water and I exercise every day. I do splurge on the weekends then go back to program Monday Morning. I am currently very content with this life style and feel I can stay on it forever.

What ever program you choose has to be for life, just make sure it is healthy and it gives you variety. The biggest problem people have WW is Not the weight loss but the Maintenence Program afterwards. This is where you learn your own body and learn what foods you can add back in with out a weight gain. I admit I too have failed at this many times. But not any more:D

Archived