Cape Liberty from CT - HELP!! Please!?

Hi all,

I'm driving from CT to Cape Liberty on Sunday for the Explorer of the Seas' 5-days to Bermuda and VERY excited...but...

Freaking out because I've never been to NJ! Any seasoned NJ-NYers that can help me out?! Am I better off:

1) driving through Manhattan and taking the Holland Tunnel?

or

2) taking the George Washington Bridge and going down I-95?

I'd be leaving Sunday morning and arriving in NYC around 11am-12pm. I'm used to driving through Manhattan ... it's NJ that scares me!

Thanks!

Carmella the Chicken

It shorter through the Holland Tunnel. Sunday Morning Traffic isn't that bad in Manhattan....on a Sunday morning as long as its not fleet week...(its not)....The Merritt to the Hutchison river parkway to the Whitestone Bridge to the Grand Central towards LGA to the BQE west bound(southbound towards Brooklyn to the Manhattan Bridge to Canal Street to the Holland Tunnel to NJ Turnpike exit 14 a I believe is Bayonne...--I would never do this during a week day but Sunday it should be ok....

Thank you so much. I usually go the same route, except take the Cross County Parkway to Riverdale and down West Side Highway. Maybe I will just take WSH to the Holland Tunnel and over.

When you emerge on the NJ side of the tunnel, are you right on the NJ Tpke?

Carmella. The Chicken.

Thank you so much. I usually go the same route, except take the Cross County Parkway to Riverdale and down West Side Highway. Maybe I will just take WSH to the Holland Tunnel and over.

When you emerge on the NJ side of the tunnel, are you right on the NJ Tpke?

Carmella. The Chicken.

either is fine. Your way has a less expensive toll....

Once through the Holland Tunnel you drive through a surface street for 4 lights. Stay to your right you really can't miss it.(its a good place to fill up your car-cheap NJ gas and state law prohibits self service- cheap gas and they pump it too).

Okay that sounds easy and I love the old-fashioned gas tank service!

Can you clarify one more thing for me? Is I-78 and 1-95 the same route at that point? Not sure if I should be following sings for 78 or 95. Don't want to wind up in Hoboken or PA. LOL.

Thanks again and no more questions, I promise!

Carmella - less chicken

Okay that sounds easy and I love the old-fashioned gas tank service!

Can you clarify one more thing for me? Is I-78 and 1-95 the same route at that point? Not sure if I should be following sings for 78 or 95. Don't want to wind up in Hoboken or PA. LOL.

Thanks again and no more questions, I promise!

Carmella - less chicken

no I 95 and I 78 are not the same route there. The signs will say NJ Turnpike...I do believe its part of I 78 but I am not sure if its marked that way. Interstates don't tend to be toll roads and this is definitely a toll road. Its the first exit to the right once you pass the last light.

Carmella, just a heads up to a fellow CT resident.

The bridge at Stratford is being overhauled, 2 lanes shut down through November. Some sort of buckling or something. It's posted over at WTNH website what happened.

So don't be surprised if you hit traffic Southbound. Careful on the Devil's highway. :cool:

Enjoy your trip!!

Archived