NCL vs. other lines...Questions???

kirindy

There is more to Frestyle than just the dining options and NCL will tell you as much:

1.) The ability to add the tips to your bill and not have to run around the last night giving out envelopes.

I'm pretty sure every major cruise line allows this now.

2.) The ability to stay in your cabin the last morning until called to disembark and not being herded like cattle into a pen....I mean public lounge to wait with the masses to be called. (out of your room by 8:00 a.m.??? ridiculous)

This is a definite plus for NCL. I've always wondered why cruise lines make the last morning the most horrendous of the cruise. Wouldn't it make sense to have the passengers leave in a pleasurable state wanting more than the typical hurry up and wait, rush to get breakfast, etc. that occurs with the tradition disembarkation day?

why would you tip the Headwaiter on an Traditional dining cruise. You already have a SET table assignment and a SET time. What extra is he going to do for you???!

Yeah, we asked this question on our very first cruise many, many ages ago. All he seemed to do was serve birthday and anniversary cakes, and set fire to crepes suzettes. We did NOT tip him.

But if you are on a cruise where the headwaiter is DEFINITELY working hard and doing things to accomodate you, you'll know and will want to tip him accordingly.

On the CCL Victory an envelope was left in our cabin specifically for tipping the Matre D! Since he had changed our requested early seating to late without our wanting it, had made us wait an evening to change it BACK, and then did nothing else we thought that to have a specific tip envelope for HIM was true chutzpah. He received what he earned.

As far as the Head Waiter on a Traditional cruise, if the service is good, he/she has done their job. They both train and oversee everything. They will also jump in if any problems arise. These people do earn the tip, that is, if service is good.

Which is why I prefer NCL's method of just adding tips to the overall bill. That way everybody gets a share and then you can tip additional to those who gave service above that.

We tipped our favorite maitre'd, Sonny, last year on the Dawn. He was one who definately deserved it. He went out of his way to help us everyday, whether we were dining in his restaurant or not. He helped us get reservations at the other restauarants (both main and specialty), helped us in the buffet when he worked there and lunch and there was nothing my mother could eat and then sent us soup and toast when we became ill on board. That is going above the call of duty and that is what deserves an extra tip.

Ours also showed up at our table each night to make sure everything was OK and to tell us about the port or activities the next day.

To me that sounds like the job of the Cruise Director and his staff, not the dining staff!!

To me that sounds like the job of the Cruise Director and his staff, not the dining staff!!

You would think so but CD's seemed to just want to steer you to the stores that take care of them rather than what to do or see on most ports of call. This head waiter was telling us places to see and places to avoid, most that didn't involve money at all. It was strictly him wanting people to enjoy, not buy.

You would think so but CD's seemed to just want to steer you to the stores that take care of them rather than what to do or see on most ports of call. This head waiter was telling us places to see and places to avoid, most that didn't involve money at all. It was strictly him wanting people to enjoy, not buy.

I think I would take the advise of the dining staff over the CD staff.

Nita

I'm pretty sure every major cruise line allows this now.

This is a definite plus for NCL. I've always wondered why cruise lines make the last morning the most horrendous of the cruise. Wouldn't it make sense to have the passengers leave in a pleasurable state wanting more than the typical hurry up and wait, rush to get breakfast, etc. that occurs with the tradition disembarkation day?

When I started cruising in 1991 we didn't even get breakfast. There were just some pastries and coffee setup at a table. This was on Celebrity.

To the OP. If you are considering Princess for the Caribbean next summer your only choice is a 9 day cruise that departs from NY on the Caribbean Princess.

Bill

You would think so but CD's seemed to just want to steer you to the stores that take care of them rather than what to do or see on most ports of call.

Gee, what a mixed up ship.... now that sounds like the job of the Port and Cruise Consultant.

(which I never listen to anyhow...he always has his "buddy" shops that he says are "not to be missed" and have great deals. I usually find that the stores reccommended by the P&C are the more expensive and are poor in the area of customer service. So I know to skip the stores the P&C recommends!)

Very few Caribbean cruises are affected by a hurricane during hurricane season. It does happen, but it doesn't happen very often.

I don't know where jkrislc came up with this?

"To the OP. If you are considering Princess for the Caribbean next summer your only choice is a 9 day cruise that departs from NY on the Caribbean Princess."

First of all, I believe that he is thinking of the Crown Princess, not the Caribbean Princess.

You can take a 7 day cruise in the summer on the Caribbean Princess from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I have been on the Caribbean Princess and it is a very nice ship, with a lot of great activities. They also have fresh water in their swimming pools.

Very few Caribbean cruises are affected by a hurricane during hurricane season. It does happen, but it doesn't happen very often.

I don't know where jkrislc came up with this?

"To the OP. If you are considering Princess for the Caribbean next summer your only choice is a 9 day cruise that departs from NY on the Caribbean Princess."

First of all, I believe that he is thinking of the Crown Princess, not the Caribbean Princess.

You can take a 7 day cruise in the summer on the Caribbean Princess from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I have been on the Caribbean Princess and it is a very nice ship, with a lot of great activities. They also have fresh water in their swimming pools.

First of all jkrislc didn't come up with anything. I believe you are talking to me. I was the one who posted the above that you were questioning.

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. I AM referring to the Caribbean Princess from NY and not the Crown. The Caribbean Princess is relocating to NY to take over the Crowns route starting May 27th 2008. The Crown will be sailing in Europe next summer. Again I repeat, there will be no Princess ships in the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in the summer of 2008.

Bill

Again I repeat, there will be no Princess ships in the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in the summer of 2008.

Bill

Will Prince be in Fort Lauderdale at anytime during the summer of 2008? :)

Archived