Bringing food off the ship in St Petersburg

The three times I've been to St Petersburg, we were told quite strongly that passengers were not allowed to take food off the ship. You can take factory sealed items, but no sandwiches, fruit, vegetables, baked goods or anything not sealed.

I really wonder what kind of tour company you're dealing with. I've done many private tours, and I really think having to provide food to the driver and guide is terribly tacky. Actually, I've never heard of this happening. I've taken private tours there twice and they certainly never asked for food. This is extremely unusual, and to be honest, questionable behavior.

When we used RO, we ate in restaurants. The first morning, when they picked us up, they brought menus for both days, so we could order in advance and save time, which we thought was a great idea. The lunches were so large, that we asked if it would be acceptable to order two lunches for four people, and they immediately agreed. We didn't want to shortchange the restaurants, but were told this was common practice--and the restaurants divided up the food, whoich was plenty for the four of us.

IMHO, taking food from the ship for non-passengers is stealing--like bringing food from an all-you-can-eat buffet to people who haven't paid.

We used RO a couple of years ago. I had planned on bring lunch from the ship on our tour of St. Pete, but it was not allowed. I don't remember if it was a suggestion from RO, or something I just thought of doing. We ended up eating at a cafe at one of the sites. RO does a wonderful job with their tours. You will love St. Pete.

Mary Lou

• 2 years later...
The tour company we are with asked us to bring our own lunch and lunch for the driver and guide in St Petersburg.

Are you sure that they did not mean that they wanted you to pay for the lunch for the driver and guide - not actually bring it yourself ?

I was expecting to have to do that, but I think in the end we only paid for the food our party of 16 ate.

Archived