Self Disembark - hand free???

Tex Gal

I am traveling on the Conquest tomorrow and I have a packing dilemma. We are driving to the port so we really have no restrictions on luggage. As of right now, we are planning on bringing 4 suitcases and 1 carry-on bag.

Here's the dilemma - a friend of ours told us that when you self disembark you can use either an escalator or an elevator. Those waiting to use the elevator have to wait FOREVER. Those who take the escalator can only do so IF they have a hand free to hold onto the rail.

Question is - is this rule enforced - meaning will I really have to have a hand free? Are the lines for the elevator THAT bad? And, if I want to take the escalator - how in the world can I do it with two hands and 4 bags?

Thanks so much! We are leaving tomorrow!!! :D

I am traveling on the Conquest tomorrow and I have a packing dilemma. Here's the dilemma - a friend of ours told us that when you self disembark you can use either an escalator or an elevator. Those waiting to use the elevator have to wait FOREVER. Those who take the escalator can only do so IF they have a hand free to hold onto the rail.

I'm confused-when we got off Conquest last week, we didn't have to go down an elevator OR an escalator. Before we checked in we had to go up but not when we were getting off the ship. We got off the ship on deck 0, but the day before, during the disembark talk, they said it could be from deck 3 or 0, and that they wouldn't know which one until that morning. Help me out someone-if you disembark from deck 3, do you go down an elevator or escalator? All i know is that once we got off the ship, we got a porter and went through customs and then out the door.

pack less, that is a lot of luggage :eek:

yes the line to the elevator was a long one... I got a lot of nasty looks when I was directed past them to the escalator. I packed everything I needed in one back pack. both hands were free :D

There are two terminals there so maybe it depends upon which one you use. When we sailed on the Conquest we used deck 3 to get on and off. You then had to go through the gangway a ways before getting into the building then you had a choice of the elevators or escalator. We had to use the elevator and it took about 10 minutes to go down.

Peto - It's hard to pack less when you dine in the dining room, work out, do excursions that are "dirty," swim a lot and have casual day wear. ;)

We may just have to wait for the elevator. We were made to think that we would be over an hour waiting for the elevator. :rolleyes: 10 minutes is no big deal...

Here's the dilemma - a friend of ours told us that when you self disembark you can use either an escalator or an elevator. Those waiting to use the elevator have to wait FOREVER. Those who take the escalator can only do so IF they have a hand free to hold onto the rail.

Question is - is this rule enforced - meaning will I really have to have a hand free? Are the lines for the elevator THAT bad? And, if I want to take the escalator - how in the world can I do it with two hands and 4 bags?

We were told the elevators are for folks with mobility problems go use the escalator. I told her the person I was travelling with WAS mobility challenged. Maybe it depends on the port, because in Galveston they really guarded the elevator and you need a reason to be on it. Thats why they have a guard??!!

We were told the elevators are for folks with mobility problems go use the escalator. I told her the person I was travelling with WAS mobility challenged. Maybe it depends on the port, because in Galveston they really guarded the elevator and you need a reason to be on it. Thats why they have a guard??!!
Maybe they figure if you are pulling two suitcases behind you and have NO hands free, you DO have a mobility problem. :p When we got off the Triumph last month, they made our son and daughter-in-law to be take the elevator. I thought it was because her suitcase was HUGE, but now I realize it was because he was pulling a wheeled garment bag and a wheeled carry-on. The rest of us took the escalator and they were just a couple minutes behind us.

I always dread luggage retrieval. Try to carry as little as possible. Remember that the porters take the luggage when you arrive at the ship and it arrives at your cabin, but at disembarkation you have to deal with all of your luggage yourself.

I carried my luggage off the Miracle, but I was traveling light and only had my suit bag and one small pilot bag. It was easier than going to the storage area and looking for my luggage. I would not try the escalator with luggage in tow, unless the luggage were a small carry on.

I am traveling on the Conquest tomorrow and I have a packing dilemma. We are driving to the port so we really have no restrictions on luggage. As of right now, we are planning on bringing 4 suitcases and 1 carry-on bag.

Me thinks that you're packing too much...:rolleyes: How many people are in your party? Did you pack all of your wardrobe? :eek:

Luv's Crusin'

Yes, in Galveston, there is a guard watching the escillator, and she tol my hubby he haf to take the elevator (long line) he just took the stairs right next to the escillator, dragging whelled suitcase along...beat us to the bottom!:D

pack less, that is a lot of luggage :eek:

yes the line to the elevator was a long one... I got a lot of nasty looks when I was directed past them to the escalator. I packed everything I needed in one back pack. both hands were free :D

Were you on one of those Bare Necessities cruises?:D

This guy is probably gone by now but if he has the right straps, he can piggy back the smaller luggage onto the larger one and still roll one while the other one hangs, works great for me.

Fred

I hate escalators with BOTH hands free. On a recent cruise we took the escalator and I got one of the wheels caught between steps. I held on for dear life praying all the way down. Then on Liberty in Jan. I sweated the dreaded escalator all for nothing; we just walked off the ship. No way of knowing really what you will encounter.

When we did it there was a lady standing in front of the escalator and if you didn't have a free hand she would direct you to the elevators.

It was the same, both times in Port Canaveral.

Luckily my Wife and I split the bags and were able to have a hand free.

The line for the elevator was ridiculous.

Bill

Archived