royal viking sky 1980 mystery

Can anyone help? I am going through photos of my parents over the years. In 1980 they took a cruise on Royal Viking Sky. There is nothing written on the backs of the photos and the only clue as to destination is a photo in port with a hill behind it. All the buildings are white and flat topped. I'm thinking Greece perhaps. My Dad can't remember and my Mom is no longer around.

I've searched the Internet for a history of the ship, but it doesn't have a breakdown of where it sailed. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful.

I sailed aboard Royal Viking Sky in June of 1980. The voyage was a trans-Atlantic from New York to Copenhagen and then a North Cape Cruise, round trip from Copenhagen. Does you Father remember the time of year the trip was? That might help in trying to narrow where she might be sailing.

Maybe some one still has a 1980 Cruise Atlas for Royal Viking that would have all of the itineraries listed.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. One of the photos had a life preserver with a sign that said Bapha. After some research and talking to my Dad again, (my parents had been on many trips and cruises so I can see why he may not have remembered initially), it turned out to be a cruise of the Black Sea/Greek Islands. They went to Athens, Yalta, Turkey and Istanbul.

Sounds like this ship certainly got around in one year from what you are saying with your trip. Thanks again for the speedy reply.

Royal Viking Line offered many diverse itineraries all around the world. They were, at the time, the "Cadillac" of cruise lines, as my travel agent called them. And, I found my onboard experience to reflect that.

I was a reservations agent working for RVL in the 1980's. The RVL ships sailed world-wide, most cruises were 14 days or longer. Each year in January, there was a 100+ day round-the-world sailing. It's hard to tell which port that photo was taken in, as the ships rarely repeated itineraries.

Archived