Luggage Recommendations?

prescottbob

I've had some bad luck with suitcases the last few years. My new suitcases have been ripped and broken. Some were damaged by airlines and some by cruise lines. I've used a variety of quality brands. Anyone who wonders why duct tape is essential hasn't had the baggage handlers I have.

So, I've decided cheapest is best for me now. I just bought 2 garment bags and 2 rolling duffels for $2 each at garage sales. They are actually pretty nice too. I've also started putting a nice bright green luggage strap around my suitcase. It makes it easier to find my suitcase and holds it together along with duct tape when suitcases are ripped or broken.

I still have my hard sided Samsonite set from the 60s, which our family repeatedly dragged all over Europe. ;)

I just bought a set of light-weight luggage with water proofing. (After a recent trip to Houston in which my luggage sat in the rain, this was appealing to me.) We always try to buy a color that will be relatively easy to locate. (I got fushia--DH got the sage.)

(www.hsn.com Item # 225-579--in case anyone wants to check it out).

When my set came, DH ordered a set which should arrive on Wed/Thurs. I really like the price, look, weight and size of the luggage. We will use it in a few days.

Good luck with luggage search!

Avocado, I LOVE the visitag tags--Christmas gifts for DH and DD this year!

Well our hard sided jumbos are in the attic, never to return. If you buy hard sided luggage make sure that they have TSA locks. I've seen some that still do not have the TSA locks.

With weight restrictions and the no lock policy we each have a soft side and we take an additional large fold over. The fold over that I refer to is like a large garment bag that folds over, zips shut and has wheels and a handle. (there has to be a formal name for this type of bag) With the three we do quite well.

I just bought a set of light-weight luggage with water proofing. (After a recent trip to Houston in which my luggage sat in the rain, this was appealing to me.) We always try to buy a color that will be relatively easy to locate. (I got fushia--DH got the sage.)

(www.hsn.com Item # 225-579--in case anyone wants to check it out).

When my set came, DH ordered a set which should arrive on Wed/Thurs. I really like the price, look, weight and size of the luggage. We will use it in a few days.

Good luck with luggage search!

Avocado, I LOVE the visitag tags--Christmas gifts for DH and DD this year!

Looks like nice luggage, I love the colors, but be careful "water Resistant" may not really be water proof...Water could still seep in through the zippers..Just to be on the safe side it might be prudent to line your luggage with plastic dry cleaner bags... We also do this, even with bags which are labeled as water resistant, as have seen what happens when bags are torn/crushed & sit out on the tarmac...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a larger garment bag. I am looking for one that can hold 4-5 suits, that way we can share the one large garment bag and each use a single suitcase. I have a decent one now but its only big enough to carry DW formal ware and my tux.

I bought a High Sierra drop bottom rolling duffel a couple of years ago on Ebay for about $30. I saw them in dept. stores for over $100. I use the bottom part for my snorkeling gear and hiking boots and put my clothes in the top. They are durable and easy to see on the airport luggage belt.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a larger garment bag. I am looking for one that can hold 4-5 suits, that way we can share the one large garment bag and each use a single suitcase. I have a decent one now but its only big enough to carry DW formal ware and my tux.

We have a Quest Travelware Rolling Garment Bag..It has two metal bars to hook hangars on to..It will definitely hold 4-5 suits, but we use cleaner style hangars to get more hangars into it..We put DH's Tux. , all my dressy things that wrinkle as well as some of DH's long sleeve shirts....We hang several of DH's long sleeve shirts on same hangar as his tux with the shirt arms inside the tux arms..DH either takes a tux or one suit & his sport jacket which he usually carries.....I put several things on hangars together & wrap them in plastic bags..This bag can take several long dresses, palazzo pants, as well as some of my dressy jackets which stay better than if they are folded...they don't wrinkle in this bag which folds in half....

It has two corner accessory pockets & a flap that goes across it with mesh pockets inside & three outside pockets..We got it very reasonably at SAM's approx 6-7 years ago & take it on all our very long cruises.(25 days or more) we check this with one 26 inch, one 27 inch rolling bag & take our two carry-on rolling bags..

Don't use our 29 inch case anymore..Too big!

There are a few that look like ours: two by Skyway & one by American Tourister...See this URL at e-bags:

http://www.ebags.com/skyway/escape_bi_fold_garment_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=94639&rlid=detail_ai&rcode=975377063721128

Looks like the Skyways have two hanging bars & the American Tourister only has one...

:) Betty

When I buy a soft sided piece of luggage I take it outside and scotchguard it - it really helps waterproof it. I also line with plastic too just in case.

Just bought a 29" - oh no! does that mean we can't use it? Is it the weight or the size that is the problem? we never let our cases weigh

more than 42 or 43 lbs. We can still take the case back so would appreciate any info asap. No wonder it was 60% off.

I have seen some cases on ships that have been huge - more like 40 " but maybe the folks drive to the pier with those.

Dh has seen the baggage handlers on the ships throwing suitcases around - no wonder they get damaged. They managed to crack our hardsided case in two places and ripped the wheels off two different cases.

When I buy a soft sided piece of luggage I take it outside and scotchguard it - it really helps waterproof it. I also line with plastic too just in case.

Just bought a 29" - oh no! does that mean we can't use it? Is it the weight or the size that is the problem? we never let our cases weigh

more than 42 or 43 lbs. We can still take the case back so would appreciate any info asap. No wonder it was 60% off.

I have seen some cases on ships that have been huge - more like 40 " but maybe the folks drive to the pier with those.

quote]

Juanita...So Sorry! Did not mean to scare you...Believe 29 inches is fine as long as you don't overstuff it like I do :o & keep it at 50 lbs or less.. But, be sure to check with each airline you are using to be sure the dimensions are ok..

It's just me, I'm trying so hard not to take more than we need, so on our last two trips (inc. the 26 day one) we decided to forgo the big 29 inch one because DH had to lift up the bed in the cabin to get it under..We now take two one 26 & one 27 with our garment bag & it worked just fine & all fit under the bed..

If we go on a longer one, I may have to go back to 29 inches, but sure hope not..LOL;) Betty

My chiropractor loves the fact that we got the new spinner luggage. She says she notices a big difference in the lack of strain it puts on our backs and hips. But man will I cry if they get destroyed before I consider them "well-used" :)

I bought a new 25" upright for my cruise in May. It's a red Swiss Army Wenger. When it arrived at my stateroom it was filthy. So I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can clean it up before I spray it with Scotch Guard?

I just bought a black rolling briefcase by the same maker.

By the way, Target has the Wengers, but I saved about 40 bucks by buying online (Luggage Point--with a Google discount, no sales tax, free delivery, and slightly lower original price). I saved about ten bucks on the briefcase at good old Costco.

I bought a new 25" upright for my cruise in May. It's a red Swiss Army Wenger. When it arrived at my stateroom it was filthy. So I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can clean it up before I spray it with Scotch Guard?

I just bought a black rolling briefcase by the same maker.

By the way, Target has the Wengers, but I saved about 40 bucks by buying online (Luggage Point--with a Google discount, no sales tax, free delivery, and slightly lower original price). I saved about ten bucks on the briefcase at good old Costco.

I've always cleaned our canvas bags with a little bit of grease lightning in warm water & a brush..Don't over wet it, rinse with clear water & let it dry thoroughly before scotch guarding it.. Betty

• 1 month later...
[quote name='advocado']Everyone above has pretty much said it all. I do, however, have a suggestion about luggage tags. These things are are great. Makes spotting and keeping track of your luggage a breeze. [URL]http://www.visitag.com/styles_twoside.html[/URL][/quote]

These look great!

Has anyone here ever seen the luggage straps that wrap around the luggage and are personalized all the way around? Similar to this but a long strap?

Archived