Why a set curfew for teens?

Why does Royal Caribbean have a set curfew for teens? IMHO I see adults cause more trouble/havoc late at night then teens. I have many stories about adults... and many about teens, but I think the adult stories out number the teen ones. Many times all the teens want to do is sit around and talk, remember they only have 3, 4, 7 etc... days on the ship. Why not let them be able to spend as much time as they can with there new friends or anyone they met. I can understand if there guardian wants to set a curfew for there teens, but not RCCL. I know many of you are gonna say, well they press buttons on the elevators, make to much noise, get drunk and disrespect many people. Then why not take down there room numbers, send them to there rooms or enforce some sort of discipline on them if they are caught doing anything like that (its not hard to miss) rather then spoiling it for all the other teens who aren't doing anything wrong?

Thats my opinion on the matter, just wondering if anyone knows RCCL reasons behind the matter, I know carnival has no curfew, and I don't believe the behavior of teens on Carnival ships is much different then that on RCCL ships.

Why does Royal Caribbean have a set curfew for teens? IMHO I see adults cause more trouble/havoc late at night then teens. I have many stories about adults... and many about teens, but I think the adult stories out number the teen ones. Many times all the teens want to do is sit around and talk, remember they only have 3, 4, 7 etc... days on the ship. Why not let them be able to spend as much time as they can with there new friends or anyone they met. I can understand if there guardian wants to set a curfew for there teens, but not RCCL. I know many of you are gonna say, well they press buttons on the elevators, make to much noise, get drunk and disrespect many people. Then why not take down there room numbers, send them to there rooms or enforce some sort of discipline on them if they are caught doing anything like that (its not hard to miss) rather then spoiling it for all the other teens who aren't doing anything wrong?

Thats my opinion on the matter, just wondering if anyone knows RCCL reasons behind the matter, I know carnival has no curfew, and I don't believe the behavior of teens on Carnival ships is much different then that on RCCL ships.

I know you are going to prob get flamed for this, but I do agree with you that the drunk "adults" cause just as much trouble as the teens, if not more. If they have a curfew for teens being in their staterooms, should they have a limit on drinks past a time at night?

Why does Royal Caribbean have a set curfew for teens?

enforce some sort of discipline on them if they are caught doing anything like that

The thing is, enforcing the discipline is where the parents should be coming in. I think the curfew is set because some parents would not set those limits for their kids. Unfortunately, we live in a society where many people want to be friends with their kids or believe their kids do no wrong. I understand that there are many kids that are respectful and reliable and plain good kids, but it's the bad seeds (and their parents that do indeed ruin it for everyone)

Now on the side of the adults. Yes, I've seen many obnoxious adults on cruise ships. Why are they allowed to act like this? I guess the cruiselines know they are paying customers and usually are the ones with the high bar tabs. :eek:

There are some teens that act more reponsible than some adults, no doubt.

But I think that the reason that teens do and adults do not have a curfew is that the adults are footing the bill and are legally adults.

But I guess your question was: why does RCCL have a curfew?

I do not know the timing, but perhaps it had something to do with the folks overboard, or staffing needs, or liability?

If you are a teenager, in a few years this will not be an issue. However, by then you may have determined that sleep is more important.

BTW, my kids will always have a curfew, regardless of what the cruiseline has in place. :D

Its funny though, because as paying customers, we have a curfew of 1am. I think that is a bit ridiculous. I go to bed at home on some nights at 1am!! Its vacation, we should be free to do what we want. I will be turning 18 at the end of November but will be in college in New York City, living on campus. If I go on a cruise before my birthday, I think its pretty pathetic that they would make a college student go to bed at 1am. Just think about that!!!! I'm not trying to start anything, I just think that it is so unbelievably unfair!!!

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

I know there will always be the close-minded people that think all teens are grouped into one category... the teens that push all of the buttons, scream, get drunk, and play knock and run. Thats not all of us!! Give us a chance!! It really is VERY frustrating!!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent.

Think about it, most everything fun for a minor is closed to those under 18. Idle teens unsupervised could be a problem when lately the ships frequently carry more then a 1,000 kids.

Secondly, as a parent myself, do you really want to expose your minor children to the behavior of all the drunks you mentioned?

Safety for me comes first. By one in the morning the numerous adult drunks (your words not mine) could in their stupor put your child in danger in an assortment of ways.

Do you plan to take excursions? If so your kids would perhaps enjoy the ports of call rested and ready to explore.

Do you think they get more complaints about the behavior of teens and kids or adults? Hmmmm! Gee, let me think. That's a real hard one.:rolleyes:

Do you think you're more likely to be the victim of a crime on a ship during the day or in the middle of the night when most people are in bed? Gee . . another stumper! :rolleyes:

Have I ever been next to a cabin of drunken adults yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? Nope. Have I ever been next to a cabin of college students with teens going in and out at all hours and yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m. YES! It was, in fact, on the Rhapsody, and when we reported seeing these same college kids buying alcohol and giving it to underage kids, we were told they were trying to catch who was doing that. The residents in that cabin were male, and their guests who we saw them give alcohol to were female. Those high school girls didn't have enough sense to stay out of that cabin of drunk college boys.

Now, just maybe it's not all about the way high school teens conduct themselves. Maybe it's about keeping teens in general safe. Maybe it's about keeping them from running and giggling down the halls at 2 a.m.

Maybe their staff need to sleep rather than policing the ship preventing vandalism, theft, or injury. The common theme in the passengers overboard would seem to be that it's night, so no one knows they are gone.

Maybe the rest of us (and I have teens) don't really feel any sympathy about the 1 a.m. curfew but feel there are ample hours in the day for teens and everyone else to enjoy vacation. If 1 a.m. cuts your day too short, then you can watch a movie in your cabin or read. Now I know this is just over the top, but you could try getting out of bed earlier and gain hours that way.

Have I ever been next to a cabin of drunken adults yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? Nope. Have I ever been next to a cabin of college students with teens going in and out at all hours and yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m. YES! It was, in fact, on the Rhapsody, and when we reported seeing these same college kids buying alcohol and giving it to underage kids, we were told they were trying to catch who was doing that. The residents in that cabin were male, and their guests who we saw them give alcohol to were female. Those high school girls didn't have enough sense to stay out of that cabin of drunk college boys.

Have I ever been next to a cabin of drunken teens yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? Nope. Have I ever been next to a cabin of adults going in and out at all hours and yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? YES! Just because you have been next to one cabin that was occupied by a bunch of irresponsible teens does not mean that we are all like that!!! Do you see me placing all adults in the same category just because I was next to a bunch of yelling adults? NO!

Now I know this is just over the top, but you could try getting out of bed earlier and gain hours that way.

And again, here you are making another comment that is not true for many teens. I set my phone alarm to 8am every day (unless we're at port, it varies by docking time).

I was recently on the Mariner last week with my two daughters of 14 and 18. My oldest I didn't have to worry about because she didn't go to the teen facilities, but my youngest didn't. From what I saw, I didn't really see a curfew on the boat. One night, I decided to go down to the Cafe Promenade for a snack at about 1:20 a.m. and I saw plenty of teenagers still awake and kicking, and the security guards didn't do anything about it.

I'm not saying we should let our teens run wild, but I think that their curfews should be where the parents come in. I know that the adults want a week to themselves without worrying about their kids, but it wouldn't hurt to take a minute at the least to set a time with their kids of when to get back. My daughters usually came in from 1:30 to 1:45 and always in one piece.

Not all teenagers are wreckless and crazy, but if there is, then it should be under the responsibility of the adult. If not the adults, then the security guards could put the situation under control. Have I ever had a situation with drunken, wreckless adults? Yes. Have I ever had a situation with wreckless teens? Less often than drunken adults. Have I ever had a situation with drunken, wrecken young adults/teenagers? No.

That's just my personal experience. What about you?

I have to be the rule maker and enforcer at home all the time, so its fine with me to let the ship be the one to make the rules for the teens. Then they can gripe about the rule maker on the ship instead groaning to me. I want my kids in by that time of the night no matter where we are anyway.

Wouldn't want one of my kids being the man overboard.

Most cities/towns have curfews for teens. A ship is just as big as some cities. Why shouldn't there be a curfew?:confused:

I have never seen a town or a city with a curfew. (not saying they dont exist) yet it seems like a severe extension of athuritarian power to empose a curfew. I can understand sending teens back to their cabins if they are being unruly and were seen by security guards. Its another story if they are just being mellow and not bothering anybody and thats when it seems that controversey comes up. Some security guards tend to take their privilage a bit too far while enforcing curfews. Having dealt with an issue involving 3 security guards and one teenage girl (trying to walk through an adults only lounge that was required to walkthrough to gain acces to other parts of the ship) i can say that curfews should be delt with apropreitly regading the behavior of the teens in question.

Its funny though, because as paying customers, we have a curfew of 1am. I think that is a bit ridiculous. I go to bed at home on some nights at 1am!! Its vacation, we should be free to do what we want. I will be turning 18 at the end of November but will be in college in New York City, living on campus. If I go on a cruise before my birthday, I think its pretty pathetic that they would make a college student go to bed at 1am. Just think about that!!!! I'm not trying to start anything, I just think that it is so unbelievably unfair!!!

Are YOU paying for the cruise??? or are your parents??? BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from

high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

surrounding you in packs??? curfew is meant as a safety precaution, it's there to keep you safe... you may be perfectly innocent and enjoying yourself quietly... but you never know what sorts of weird stuff could happen to you... like some weird drunk adult puts you in a situation that is dangerous... I don't want to alarm you, but there are freaks out in the world whose intentions are not always good...

I know there will always be the close-minded people that think all teens are grouped into one category... the teens that push all of the buttons, scream, get drunk, and play knock and run. Thats not all of us!! Give us a chance!! It really is VERY frustrating!!

Has it occurred to any of you that it has nothing to do with YOU??? Policies that cruiselines have in place are not necessarily there to punish you... it's complicated but someday you'll have an understanding of business, liability, safety, legal concerns that all factor into a cruiselines ability to make and protect their investment.

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

you will get older as time marches on and you, too, will go to the dark side.

And again, here you are making another comment that is not true for many teens. I set my phone alarm to 8am every day (unless we're at port, it varies by docking time).

Joe, you *do* know that if you leave your phone on to use it as a clock and an alarm, and there are any calls on it, and people leave messages, you can get hit with HUGE fees and roaming charges, don't you?

:)

Read throught the current 'Live from the Navigator' thread and you'll see why they need to set a curfew for teens. And I'm not a 'teen hater', I'm about to travel on a cruise with my own 2 teens but I'll be setting them a curfew and I'll be very annoyed if I have to experience the same problems as the Navigator last week. :eek:

Curfews

Ship’s management reserves the right to enact curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship’s Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety.

So it applies to anyone - not just a teen !!

jj.....

Archived