What shore excursions on Christmas Island

blackbird71

We'll be there in a little over a week ... and from what I've read, the only trip is a truck tour of the Island that you book ashore. It's only a tendered four hour stop. So, that really only leaves time to stretch your legs and walk about a bit.

We'll be there in a little over a week ... and from what I've read, the only trip is a truck tour of the Island that you book ashore. It's only a tendered four hour stop. So, that really only leaves time to stretch your legs and walk about a bit.

It has been several years since we made the stop at Christmas Island, but this was all that was offered then. It is a very primative island and aside from the private truck, or a quick swim in the ocean (water shoes are a MUST), there is not much there. It is very interesting, but that is about all. Don't miss it though, if nothing else to see the children singing on the shore.

We stopped at Christmas Island last July on the Tahitian P. There were no shore excursions. Everyone (or at least most) rode the tender to the island. The natives had a small handicraft market. Other than that, you could go down to the beach and sun or swim or snorkel.

Again to the OP-This island is so tiny, we don't look at it as an actual island but more like a small Atoll. Think traveling completely around it in about 30 minutes. Very tiny, so there is not a lot offered here. The primative way they lived was fascinating. If it hadn't been for the piles of beer cans and broken glass everywhere, we would have thought we had stepped back in time. Now remember, this was some years ago so not sure if they have done some clean up since. We were only the second cruise ship in history that stopped there, so as I said, it was many years ago.

We really wanted to return so booked a B2B from HawaIi/Tahiti/Hawaii a few years later, but their had been a storm and they refused to stop. This is also one place that if the seas happen to be rough, you will by-pass it entirely and instead have 5 days at sea, which we did both legs of our cruise.

I stopped there 2 years ago on the TP and absolutely loved it. I had been corresponding with a tourism guy on the island and had pre-arranged for the tour, which he personally led for my family and I and a few other people.

Even though there isn't much to see here, and it is very primitive, it was the highlight of the cruise for me, and I would suggest (as another poster above) not staying on the ship here. It was one of the only places I've stopped where the people seemed genuinely happy to see the cruise passengers.

Listed below is Kiraren's personal email address and his work address. Not sure if he's still in that position, but I wouldn't imagine there wouldn't be high turnover there.

kiraren_tebetanga@yahoo.com

tourismxmas@tskl.net.ki

Here is a link to some of my photos. I hope it works. The photos are at the end of this album and the begining of the next.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/nauticalbutnice2/album/576460762342455731

And lastly, here is a link to some info about Kiribati.

http://www.janeresture.com/kirricom/

Christine

Are there reindeers on Christmas Island?

Ummmmmmm Fuzzy, I don't think I have ever seen a reindeer in the South Pacific before. :D Although we looked all over for Santa on Christmas Island, he wasn't anywhere to be found either......how disappointing is that? :D

Ummmmmmm Fuzzy, I don't think I have ever seen a reindeer in the South Pacific before. :D Although we looked all over for Santa on Christmas Island, he wasn't anywhere to be found either......how disappointing is that? :D
Drats. I just read the history of the island. The Captain that found it sure was not very imaginative when he named it.

Jeez, what day is today? Oh, it's December 25th. Well then, I name this island Christmas Island.

Wait, Linda Ronstadt was born on this day. Let's call her July 15 Ronstadt.

We were on Christmas Island on June 23. We went in with the thought that we would see shops open- after all it was Saturday. Well Christmas Island is a day ahead of us- part of the island chain is on one side of the international date line and the other isn't.... So Sunday= no shops or services open. There was a small store open, that was it. My husband and I liked the island for a few reasons. One was that it was nice just to get off the ship and walk on land.

When we got to the island we had a long tender ride in. (About 20 minutes due to rough seas.) We were met by dancers of all ages- quite fun to watch. There were many different stands set up right by the tender area. If you see what you like buy it, don't wait until later to see what else there is- there isn't anything.

We walked down the road We got to the first church we found, turned by the church and walked out to the beach. GREAT snorkeling! But you need to bring your own from home. (I just pack my mask and tube and I'm set.) We had a great site offrom the beach. NIce white sand, nice shells and corals. Teh locals were VERY nice to us. They didn't beg, they didn't ask to braid our hair, or sell us junk. The children all smiled and many times they were practicing their English on us. Many yelled from their homes only to wave to us and say Hi! Welcome!

This is a very poor island. I saw many people going for a ride in the back of the trucks. Some said the far side of the Island was littered with garbage. I've seen much worse in the Caribbean- but again we only went a short ways in land.

Hope some of this helped. Gabrielle

Drats. I just read the history of the island. The Captain that found it sure was not very imaginative when he named it.

Jeez, what day is today? Oh, it's December 25th. Well then, I name this island Christmas Island.

Wait, Linda Ronstadt was born on this day. Let's call her July 15 Ronstadt.

Fuzzy, Keep in mind there are actually two islands they call 'Christmas Island'. One is off the coast of Australia and one is half way between Hawaii and Tahiti.

It's been many years since we stopped at Christmas Island. Our cruise was on the old Fair Princess, and we went RT from Honolulu. Best cruise ever! I treasure my little handcrafted shell basket from the little outside market and still remember the beautiful children that sang to us. Would love to go back. We really enjoy these small out-of-the way stops.

It's been many years since we stopped at Christmas Island. Our cruise was on the old Fair Princess, and we went RT from Honolulu. Best cruise ever! I treasure my little handcrafted shell basket from the little outside market and still remember the beautiful children that sang to us. Would love to go back. We really enjoy these small out-of-the way stops.

Our first cruise that visited Christmas Island was also on the Fair Princess. But that time, we only cruised one way from Honolulu to Papette. The next time, many years later, we did it the right way and went B2B. I still remember they couldn't fill the ship on the return from Papeete, so if your cabin had not been booked, they offered the return for $300 per couple......................but we could not take them up on it that trip. Such a shame. :(

Yes, that would have been wonderful. I'd love to do that same trip again. Only problem - we don't fly anymore, so we'd have to get to Hawaii by ship and back from there! I keep looking for ways to do this though!

Archived