2-3 days post cruise

Elliern

We will be disembarking in Whittier Wed Aug 18. and going on to Anchorage via cruise transportation. Our return flight home is Sat Aug 21.from Anchorage. I want to spend our time wisely and economically. I think we have a room at Elderberry BB. We can rent a car and drive, but to where? Is there a glacier we can drive to? Do we have enough time for Denali? Cars seem to be around $70/day. I am concerned that there seems to be no transportation services available near the BB so seems like we will need to get a car no matter what else we do. Am open to suggestions from those who have 'been there and done that'. Am really looking forward to our cruise and our couple of days after. Thanks so much for any advice/suggestions.

Ellie

No you don't have enough time for Denali. Cars are cheaper than $70/day?? Look at Thrifty, Payless, Dollar, Alamo- all are at the airport. And yes you do need a car. About 2 hours from Anchorage you can go glacier trekking with MICA "cheaply" at about $70/pp. You may want to consider an overnight in Talkeetna- would give you a look of a real Alaska town. icon_smile.gif

Instead of taking cruise transportation to Anchorage, you could take a private transport to Seward for $30 and spend some time there visiting Exit glacier, Seavey's dog sled, Alaska Sealife, and take a Kenai Fjords boat tour. To get back to Anchorage take the train, private transport, or rent a car from Seward.

Archived