If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Just back from NCL Sun's SA cruise (12/20 - 1/03) and we stopped in Falklands - and we were able to land !!!

It was all calm seas all the way from Cape Horn to Falklands on Dec 28th with clear sunny skies! The pool deck was full.

When we arrived on 29th Dec it was bright and sunny and it lasted all morning. We arrived before Star Princess so we (NCL Sun) had the first dibs on the Bluff Lagoon tours (b/c Star was leaving a couple of hours or so after us) and we got the best part - it started getting cold and raining in the afternoon!!

The Bluff Cove visit was OUT OF THE WORLD - those Gentoo penguins were so photographic and there were SEVERAL pairs of King penguins there too. We also saw Upland geese and other birds including a vulture there. The beach there was great with white sand.

Took tons of photos and some movies.

The ride in 4x4 from main road to Bluff Lagoon and back was so much fun that we screamed at the beginning - it was like a roller coaster on rubber wheels in slo-motion with all the bumps and curves!

Jasonflk, our mini-bus driver (that took us to the 4x4 meeting point from ship and then returned us to ship) was called Jason Lewis - was it you???

Edited by bluesea777

Those of us on the upcoming voyages of NCL Sun are thankful for the reports like yours. If that was jasonflk i hope to chat with him when the NCL Sun tries once again to visit Stanley on 2 April 2010. Please tell us more, you probably are trying to catch up with the stuff at home, etc. But there are many curious CCers waiting for your reports.

les

First, thanks for all of your information. We will be calling on Port Stanley on the Holland America Veendam on November 10, 2010. What will be open at that time of year? It is sort of the beginning of the cruise ship season.

Edited by jhuntermartin

Well, It looks like I've been found out, though I didn't hide myself well I will admit, yes it was me your driver. I do drive for Bluff cove but also work for other tour guides as well. The reason for not saying who I work for is I try to be as unbiased as possible and try not to be accused of pushing one tour over the other. I think I push the volunteer trip quite a lot but I have never been a tour guide to there, though have visited on many occasions.

All our beer is out of bottles and cans, so any of the pubs are goods, but I would suggest if the day is nice goto the globe and watch the queue for the tenders go down in enjoyment rather than standing doing nothing in the queue.

November is sort of our spring and therefore you just don't know what it will do, you will see penguins and other wildlife as they are coming ashore to start breeding if they haven't already. If you into flowers there are some interesting plants that flower at that time of year which most tourist won't see. Though I would concentrate on seeing King and gentoo penguins as the Magelenics tend to be hiding in their burrows with their eggs.

As for what tours are running what is open, all the tours, shops and attractions will be open subjext to the normal conditions of time in port.

Question for Jasonflk : I'm booked on the Princess Bluff Cove tour during my Star Princess cruise in March. Are the buses set up like a shuttle system back and forth from Stanley? What I'm wondering is am I stuck with the bus I get to Buff Cove on, or if I want to stay longer can I ride back on a later bus? Did the Volunteer Point tour last trip with Patrick and figured I'd try something different, and one that would allow me a bit of time in Stanley.

you appear to be visiting the same ports on the star this march as we will be visiting next feb on the star. we are booked with patrick watts but are not doing well in the other port. would you be so kind as to share what port tours you are doing this year? if you prefer to send the info directly my email is pennstateray@hotmail.com. thank you in advance for whatever info you can provide.

ray

DougH

The Buses for Bluff cove are only part of the journey, the total tour is approximately 3 hours.

The basics are

You are picked up at the Jetty taken out to meet some rovers who will take you overland to the Lagoon where you stay for about 1 hour and then do it in reverse.

Due to the popularity of the tour, plus not wanting people to miss tenders it is impossible to stay longer by skipping a return, sorry.

more info on the actual tour is here http://falklandpenguins.com/tour.asp

Jason

Jason, re: CavemanJoe's question about the best place to have a beer in Stanley. Your tactfulness and diplomatic response is to your credit. You could have just said "the nearest". Thanks for all your help, see you this April, the Lord willing and the creek don't rise.:rolleyes:

I've got to be careful, there are only so many pubs in stanley and I don't want to banned from them. :D - Forgot Deanos, also Stanley Arms, Narrows and The rose which are a bit further away. I think that covers them all

Which ever pub you go in just tell them that jason sent you ;)

Edited by jasonflk

It did, apparently bad weather on route and the predicted weather for stanley, they cancelled at least 24 hours before they were due in.

The weather in stanley was bad on the day so it was a good call, though meant we were with

We've had quite alot of rain over the last couple of weeks which has caused the tracks to become "interesting" but fun.

Hi Jason,

I believe a few posts back (maybe more) you outlined what you could do in an hour or two by yourself. Thank you for that information I think it will be nice to take a stroll around Stanley by ourselves and to see the spots you have pointed out. I am wondering as well if if there is a beach we can walk to from the pier or would it be easier to have a taxi take us for a drive? We are arriving Feb 7 and only have a short tender I think 10:00am to 4:00pm. Bluff Cove is waitlisted and Volunteer Point is out of the question with such little time to spare. I think we can catch a cab to Sparrow Cove but I think I am more interested in perhaps wiggling my toes in the sand. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks Angela

The main beach to Stanley is closed during the day at the moment due to mine clearance happening in the area. However If you can get a taxi to drop you off at the end of Stanley airport there are a number of small bays up towards the light house, cape pembroke.

However if you get to Bluff cove, which is likely as many ships hold spaces until the cruise sets off, there is a massive beach at the lagoon.

No taxis to sparrow cove as thats a tour with the ship but you can get one to Gypsy cove which is also near Stanley airport.

Hope that helps

Jason - what percentage of ships usually miss or make their landing in the Falklands? My neighbors were just on the Star and were SO disappointed not to land. We were on the same cruise last year and had a wonderful sunny day in Stanley. It was one of the reasons they took this cruise, so you can imagine their disappointment.

The Bluff Cove visit was OUT OF THE WORLD - those Gentoo penguins were so photographic and there were SEVERAL pairs of King penguins there too. We also saw Upland geese and other birds including a vulture there. The beach there was great with white sand.

Took tons of photos and some movies.

The ride in 4x4 from main road to Bluff Lagoon and back was so much fun that we screamed at the beginning - it was like a roller coaster on rubber wheels in slo-motion with all the bumps and curves!

We were there on Jan 6 and it was very nice. My videos will be posted at the Antarctica board.

March you will still see some penguins, you can all year round (Gentoos and Kings) There should also be some rockhoppers and magelenics around, though they will be thinking about leaving around that time

Number of ships that miss the Falklands change from year to year The expedition ships have more success they are smaller and can change their itinerary at short notice to cope with the weather conditions, Last year I think only one big cruise ship didn't make it but this year we've had one ship (star princess) not make it at all due to weather, One ship due to illness on the ship not making it and another one which only got some of it's passengers off due to the weather.

Mary, here's a website to see what other ships will be in port on what date:

http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php

Strange thing is that it shows the Veendam in Key West (with the Costa Fortuna) on that date! Either they have the schedule wrong or maybe your date or ship is different from what you wrote below?

We’ll be on the Veendam getting to Stanley on Feb 15, 2010. Does anyone know how many other cruise ships would be there on that day?

Thank you.

Mary

Mary, here's a website to see what other ships will be in port on what date:

http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php

Strange thing is that it shows the Veendam in Key West (with the Costa Fortuna) on that date! Either they have the schedule wrong or maybe your date or ship is different from what you wrote below?

cruisett is in error regarding the Veendam and Oosterdam ports for 2010. Also has an error for the Star Princess at the end of this season. Has her going to San Francisco when she is going to Ft. Lauderdale. If cruisett has no other errors, the Veendam should have Stanley to herself on February 15.