If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Dear Gixer,

Thank you very much for your help! I became concern when you mentioned that some ships weren't able to dock during the summer. My friend and I are thinking of taking NCL in December 2008 and the Falklands is a stop (one of the reason why we're going). Is December going to be okay or should we go during a different month?

Sincerely,

Hanh

December and January are typically our best summer months, lots of sunshine and big blue skies but with that usually comes a very strong wind. Nobody unfortunately can ever predict the weather, I couldnt even give you a ''general guide'' as it could be gloirious sunshine in the morning, followed by snow blizzards in the afternoon.

The weather changes very quickly, and everything as always down here is weather dependant, that doesnt stop the people who actually live here though, if it did then we would never be able to plan for anything or get anything done, if we decide we are having a bbq on saturday then thats when we will have it, if it happens to be snowing we just bbq in the garage :o

If the ships are able to dock then your tour guides would still get you to see the penguins or whatever else you have decided to do, but its up to the captain if he feels it safe enough, several ships have come unstuck and run aground on rough seas and a lot of captains wont take the risk, usually the smaller the ship your on the easier and more likley it is that you will be able to dock, as they can sail right into Stanley harbour where its usually always calm.

Please dont worry, last season only 4 ships out of hundreds were not able to dock and tender people ashore, it does happen sometimes, but its not ''the norm''

p.s - Iv also got the same concern about our cruise, Disney's castaway cay is the highlight of our trip but during the winter months the ship sometimes cant dock at its own island! I will be pretty upset if we miss that stop but will have to make sure it doesnt ruin the rest of a great trip :)

I will be on the Explorer II at the end of January and they offer an Helicopter excursion to Sea Lion Island. It's a bit pricey so and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm wondering if anyone has been there or knows anything about it and whether they would recommend a 6 hour excursion to Sea Lion Island.

I will be on the Explorer II at the end of January and they offer an Helicopter excursion to Sea Lion Island. It's a bit pricey so and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm wondering if anyone has been there or knows anything about it and whether they would recommend a 6 hour excursion to Sea Lion Island.

I just got back from a weekend at Sealion Island today! It was awesome, if you have the chance to visit then please go, words cant say how special this place is, I am waiting for the photos to upload then I will post them and you can see for yourself, whaterver the cost of the trip then I can assure you it would be worth every penny!

As promised, here are some photos of my favourite place in the whole world, Sealion Island, we actually only saw 7 Sealions during this trip, they dont usually haul out until November, but we saw them in abundance in Feburary and this weekend was all about watching the Elephant seals, we just missed the Orca's but have seen them before on several occasions, I hope you get lucky and see them when you visit! :D

ELEPHANT SEALS -

P1000065.jpg

P1000066.jpg

P1000084.jpg

P1000085.jpg

P1000091.jpg

Continued.......

This baby is so cute peping over the top of the sand -

P1000093.jpg

ROCKHOPPER PENGUINS -

P1000114.jpg

P1000121.jpg

My Mum and Daughters hanging out with the Lil' guys -

P1000126.jpg

A Caracara or ''Johnny Rook'' as they are know in the Falklands -

P1000131.jpg

My Daughters enjoying a day on the beach with the seals -

P1000136.jpg

Continued......

My daughters with the Gentoo colony, they love these penguins because they are so friendly and curious -

P1000199.jpg

My Daughter helping a Gentoo build his nest, she felt sorry for him because all the other penguins kept stealing his scrub!

P1000223.jpg

He was very grateful for this big piece of Diddle dee bush!

P1000227.jpg

We watched this Gentoo lay its egg, she seemed very suprised when she looked down and found it in the nest!

P1000233.jpg

Continued.....

This Gentoo was also very proud of her egg -

P1000236.jpg

A ***** penguin getting his burrow ready -

P1000244.jpg

A Baby seal suckling -

P1000253.jpg

P1000255.jpg

P1000262.jpg

Another cute, cute newborn -

P1000256.jpg

I hope you all like the photos!

Gixer,

I can hardly see to type these words, because of the happy tears in my eyes! Those pictures are fantastic! (You also have a lovely family!) You have just put into an even higher gear my excitement about my upcoming cruise.

When do the eggs start hatching?? I have a tour to Volunteer Point planned during our stop at Port Stanley (because of your recommendation, by the way). Will there be a variety of animals there as well like you photographed?

Hello!

Thanks for the lovely comments about the photos :)

The King Penguin eggs starts hatching from November onwards, when we were there last Feb we saw quite a lot of chicks that were only a few days old, so dont worry you will definatley see plenty of fluffy chicks! There are also Gentoo's and ***** penguins at Volounteer point, and you will sometimes find Sealions or seals hauled out but they dont tend to breed there (like my piccies of Sealion Island) I cant find my disc with all the photos on it from Volounteer, all I have at the moment is this one which was on my laptop, I will try and dig some more out for you so you have a better idea of what to expect.....unless of course you want it all to be a suprise when you get here!

VolunteerPoint32.jpg

Gixer,

These photos are incredible! If at all possible, I would love to go to Sea Lion Island when I am in the Falklands 1/08. Which animals are likely to be there mid January?

Thank you for posting these photos!!!

January is a wonderful time to visit Sealion Island! The seals will have finished pupping by then but will still be hanging around the beaches moulting, all the Sealions will have hauled out and will have large creches of sealion pups which is an increadible sight, and you will see all the Penguins that were in my photos, instead of penguins sitting on eggs though there will be hundreds of fluffy chicks, and they are always happy to come over and say hello to you :D

The visiting King penguins (there are about 8 which visit Sealion Island) are usually there in Jan/Feb and the Orca's are also usually patrolling the cliffs where the Sealion pups are, so you will get to see a wide variety of wildlife all within a very easy/accesible walk.

I didnt know that there were day trips available to Sealion Island for cruise ship passangers, if you get the chance to go then it will probablly be pretty expensive but sooooooooo worth it!

Your comments and photos are great!! But we need help on this one:

We'll arrive on the HAL Rotterdam Sat. 11/24/07 to Stanley and want to see penguins. Will they be there yet? Currently we have a reserved private driver, Paul, to take us to Volunteer Point for $100 each. We worry that we could get stuck in a bog at Volunteer, and not make it back to the ship in time. Has this ever happened?

Otherwise we wonder which ship excursion tour is best: Sparrow Cove $165 or Bluff Cove $168 because, if we get stuck in a bog there, the ship has to wait for us. Thanks, Bright Sky

Giles I haven't words for all the help and those pictures are fantastic. I just signed up for Princess's tour to Bluff Cove. Is there a private company that would go there and did I make a good choice between Bluff and Stanley. I know Volunteer Point is fantastic but I do want to see some of the town cause who knows if we'll ever get back. We will be there on the Feb. 15th.

You are a treasure to those of us who need all this great info. Thanks in advance.

Terry

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I have back problems and all the Princess tours to Sparrow Cove say that if you have a back problem you shouldn't take the tour. I'd be broken hearted if I couldn't see penguins on our trip. What is the road like our to Gypsy Cove from town? I know the other viewing places require a drive by 4 wheel drive vehicle due to rough terrain. I don't think my back could take all that pounding. Do you think the Gypsy Cove drive would be easier on the old back?

Gixer - terrific photos. Sea Lion Island was not on our itinerary last January, but your pictures brought back fond memories of our time on Carcass and New islands.

cruiserus - Gixer will probably agree that the drive to Gypsy Cove is quite smooth - not over 4WD terrain, that's for sure. We were taken out there by a shuttle bus that left from the visitor center in town.

Hi guys,

Sorry I havent posted for a while, its school holiday time again!

Bright Sky - You will definatley see penguins when you visit, the Kings at volounteer point are resident all year round, and trips out usually go in a convoy of at least 2 vehicles so if one gets bogged the other can pull it out. Your guides will all have been out track marking well before your arrival and will know the best route to take in any weather, so the chance of you getting bogged with a guide who knows where they are going is very slim.

If you stay in Stanley and just visit Gypsy cove then you will see the ***** penguins, they arrived at the beginning of October and are busy getting their burrows ready.

These isnt that much difference between Sparrow cove and bluff cove, both tours last about the same length of time and you will see the same things, ***** penuins, gentoo's and maybe the odd king, at both sites you may be lucky enough to see seals/dolphins etc and plenty of birdlife. The only real difference between the two are the methods of transport, the bluff cove trip is all overland and on the return trip you can be dropped of in the middle of Stanley for shopping or a walking tour of the town, Sparrow cove involves a boat trip then an overland journey, if your prone to seasickness in small craft then bluff cove may be better, but thats the only real difference. The chances of getting bogged at either is possible, but not very likley at all.

Terry - Bluff cove is a good choice, you will get to see plenty of wildlife, the journey isnt overly bumpy, and you will still have lots of time to explore town, so you get the best of both worlds!

Cruiserus - the journey to Sparrow can be very bumpy, the sea can be quite rough and the terrain in the 4x4 can certainly jolt you, but the road to gypsy cove is fine, you will have no problems at all going there!

Hope this helps guys :)

I would be happy to try and answer them for you as I live in Stanley. I actually registered to cruise critic to find info about Disney cruises as we are taking the children on a trip in January, and just had a look in this forum out of curiosity!

Hope I can be of some help to those of you planning a future trip :)

Considering a SA cruise with a stop in Stanley in late March. What kind of weather/temperature can I expect at this time of the year?

Gixer - You do a fabulous service to visitors and the Falklands. And its nice to see everyone so appreciative. Having just perused all these pages, having trouble keeping tours and local tour operators straight. Is there a 'quick list' of contacts to book arrangements for Volunteer Point and the many other notable places you've highlighted in your posts?