Aloha Airline Special

bug_dan

Dan, just to clarify....that is a book of one-way tickets (5 in all) that you can buy. WIth taxes, its $318.

If you are planing on hopping around the islands while here, that would be a GREAT deal. But I do not belive you can buy just one.

Some caviats with this "special".

First of all, it is one coupon per trip leg. During the last few years the number of neighbor island to neighbor island direct flites (i.e., Maui to Kaua`i) have been drastically cut. That means, to fly from Maui to Kaua`i, one must fly from Maui to Oahu, change planes, and then fly from Oahu to Kaua`i. That requires two coupons, or $116 for the trip.

Second, the coupons are "N" class, and Aloha will have ten or fewer "N" seats/flite. If you want to fly between a neighbor island and Oahu and have enough time to score an "N" seat, it's a good deal.

We're with Emi, bring on the interisland ferry. We can't wait!!!

It looked like a good deal at first, but they must be purchased in books of five and many flights now hop from an island to Honolulu and then on to another costing two tickets - they have a web special npw for $74 for direct flights and $84 for interconnecting flights whic is almost as good. they have to be bookek in advance though.

Yep...can't wait for the ferry! No more rental car...

There was sometimes an Island hopper type of ticket (can't remember the airline or maybe they both do it from time to time). You pay XX dollars and can fly back and forth, here and there, for XX days. Sounded like a good deal if you were planning a few flights in that time frame.

Emi

I would be sweet if we could use the ferry at least once before we leave! It will be close. Think of the savings on a family of 4!

I understand the car rental companies are screaming bloody murder on this....

Now if only Honolulu could get a monorail system to help out those poor Ewa people! Spleen, ;)

Yep...can't wait for the ferry! No more rental car...

There was sometimes an Island hopper type of ticket (can't remember the airline or maybe they both do it from time to time). You pay XX dollars and can fly back and forth, here and there, for XX days. Sounded like a good deal if you were planning a few flights in that time frame.

Emi

No more rental car, Yea! Heck, our pickup holds about 50 gallons of fuel. At the price differential between Oahu and Maui, it'll almost pay to put it on the ferry just to fill 'er up! And, think what it'll mean to the neighbor island car dealerships... No more captive customers.

Em, Aloha still has a monthly pass that is good for unlimited flites. A colleague of mine lives on Oahu and used to (pre 9/11) commute to Maui daily, and the monthly pass was ~$300. Now the pass is more than $1,500, and the seats are restricted (just like the $58 coupons), so he rents a room on Maui and flies over Monday and back Friday.

Similarly, we (faculty) used to fly to UH Manoa for meetings without giving it a thought. I could fly out on the 7 A.M. plane, attend a meeting, and be back in my office on Maui by 1 P.M. Now it is an all day affair, and the cost is so great that the college invested in video conferencing equipment and we "meet" virtually.

Archived