Question for Hank

Hank,

I am renting a car in Cannes and wanted to know if you have used mapquest for directions in Europe? If yes, have you found them to be fairly accurate? I think it would be a great help particularly on the roundabouts. Have you ever booked cars through tiger car rental dot com? They had a good price but I am leary of changing my reservation from Thrifty at the Gare trainstation because I have never heard of them.

Your expertise is much appreciated,

Melissa

P.S. If we get lost, miss the ship, and my husband gets mad at me I am going to tell him it's Hank's fault he encourages us all the time to try things on our own. Hope you don't mind.

Wow! I feel honored to have been a "topic." Regarding mapquest, I have sometimes used them as a basic guide when looking at various routes..primarily to guage the time. I will sometimes print out their maps, but we also own Michellin map books for most of the countries in Western Europe and also have some more detailed seperate Michelin maps. We just bought a new "toy" which is a Germin Nuvi 670 that has details for about 20 European countries (as well as North America). Its really hard to believe they can cram that much info into a little 5 ounce gadget and we can't wait to try it out somewhere in Europe. We have generally found France one of the easier countries for driving since they really have decent road signs. We have never tried Tiger or Thrifty (in Europe) and generally use Hertz, Europcar and Budget. However, Tiger is a rental car consolidator (discounter) that we would certainly use if the price was right. We have sometimes used Autoeurope (another consolidator who generally books with Europcar) when we need to rent for a few weeks. My only caution when booking with anyone in Europe is to double check the office hours of the rental location (its amazing how many are closed on Sundays) and of course always take a printed e-mail or some other confirmation letter regarding the price. It is very common to have the rental car dealers try to increase the price (or bait and switch you into a higher category) so its good to have proof of your reserved rate. As to getting lost (that can be fun as long as you are not rushing back to the ship) or missing the ship, keep in mind that you would be in a wonderful part of France (who needs the ship anyway). We generally have a back-up plan in case we would miss the ship (its never happened). You should always have the name and phone number of the ships' agent (it usually in the port info they give you on-board) and we always carry an ATM card and credit card. If we ever did miss the ship we would probably just take a train to the next port (or arrange to use the rental car). However, you do not want to miss the ship on an island :)

Hank

Hank,

Thanks Hank. I was surprised at how much detail was given on mapquest and believe we will take the mapquest directions along with unless you want to lend me that new toy. I'm glad to hear that Tiger is a well-known company in Europe it should save me roughly $50 usd and I'd rather spend it on lunch. I will be sure to check business hours and carry a copy of rental agreement. Any favorite lunchspots in St. Paul de Vence? A good spot for a cocktail or gelato in Antibes?

Melissa

I can't help you with spots in Antibes (we just eat whereever it looks good) but we do have a place we like in St Paul de Vence. That village has plenty of restaurants, some of which are very pricy and well known such as Colombe d'or. But, we like a very ordinary little creperie (its actually not so little) called La Terrasse which is located right on the main street on the right side (as you walk through the town away from the main gate). Why do we like this ordinary place? Well, if you walk through the restaurant to the back, there is a small terrace (covered but outdoors) that has a wonderful view overlooking the valley. The problem is that there is only a few tables on the terrace so you have to get lucky. We will sometimes eat an early lunch (just before noon) and often get one of those crowded little tables. Lunch is pretty reasonble in that place if you simply get a crepe and house wine. We would probably try some other place if we could not get on the terrace.

Hank

If you are going to be in Antibes..try any of the seafood restos as they have really good seafood that is very fresh and the meals are good,and not pricey.Luncheons are just as good as dinners.If you are going to St.P first Hank's reco is a good one,and they do have good ice cream there as well.There is a place in Anibes up along the seawall that I believe you can get a drink..may have changed sine I was there,but if you walk around you will find one I am sure.

Archived