Warning About Galveston Water!!!!

karenh1127

I just saw on the news where a tourist in Galveston has caught the flesh eating bacteria after being in the water for only 30 minutes. He may lose his leg and could still die. He apparently got it thru an open cut. Just a warning to not get in the water if you have any cuts or wounds. Galveston needs to put up some warning signs. Just FYI.

I just saw on the news where a tourist in Galveston has caught the flesh eating bacteria after being in the water for only 30 minutes. He may lose his leg and could still die. He apparently got it thru an open cut. Just a warning to not get in the water if you have any cuts or wounds. Galveston needs to put up some warning signs. Just FYI.

Man, that bites. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, but it's not all that dramatic. Take a look at this article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4976651.html

From this piece it's obvious that any normal healthy person need not worry about the Vibrio Vulnificus bacterium that caused this problem.

Exactly, and this man had a diabetic lesion to boot. He should have known better. And the organism is certainly not speciific to Galvestion as Vibrio occurs along the coast all the way to Florida.

Mike:)

I agree that it isnt likely for a normal, healthy person to contract it. Still, if my kids had any significant cuts on them, I would not let them go in the water. My x brother-in-law got this from Galveston Bay water but he has some liver issues too so make him more susceptable. Just use common sense. This man had no business getting in the water with a diabetic lesion! Still I hope he recovers.

This man had no business getting in the water with a diabetic lesion! Still I hope he recovers.

Exactly.

People need to be responsible for their actions. As was mentioned, this bacterium is common from Mexico to Florida. Tagging it as a Galveston problem isn't accurate in the least.

Just as you do, I hope the gentleman in question makes a full and speedy recovery.

Archived