cost of train - waterloo station to southampton

hi all. i tried getting this info from a website listed in another thread, but of course they make you register, etc and generally be a pain in the arse (been practing my english ;) ).

what is the cost of a standard train ticket, waterloo station to southampton? Thanks!

hi all. i tried getting this info from a website listed in another thread, but of course they make you register, etc and generally be a pain in the arse (been practing my english ;) ).

what is the cost of a standard train ticket, waterloo station to southampton? Thanks!

the walk on price is £27,check trainline.co.uk,should not have to reg,if you don.t buy.

but have you checked the National Express bus,from Liverpool st /Southampton. web nationalexpress.co.uk

2hrs/30min

£1-£5, funfare,which you can buy online,e ticket

thanks, makem. that site wanted me to register, too. what a bother. i have read about the national bus service but thought the train would be a better option because the bus has stricter luggage limits. no way i can make due with one medium bag. one LARGE, yes. LOL.

as it turns out there are a couple of people on my roll call that are hiring a car. i going to join one of them. not much more than the train and mucher nicer door-to-door service.

You can get train pricing information from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk without having to register.

Depending on which day of the week you're travelling, buying a standard class ticket and travelling in first class for a £5 supplement (payable on board) is the best value train trip between London and Southampton - available at weekends and on public holidays. You just sit down in first class and pay the ticket inspector when he comes around.

globaliser - thanks for the link. i was able to check without registering. at this point, the train would be 27 GBP for standard fare, one-way. sharing a private car would be 47 GBP. i'm going to share a ride with my fellow CCers.

My pleasure. Are you on travelling on your own, though? If you are, and unless you're staying a long way from the station or it's difficult to get there, I would still strongly urge the train. It would still be faster and more comfortable than a car.

My pleasure. Are you on travelling on your own, though? If you are, and unless you're staying a long way from the station or it's difficult to get there, I would still strongly urge the train. It would still be faster and more comfortable than a car.

i am traveling solo and for the 1st time in my life taking only 1 bag - albeit a large one - so i could navigate the train. arriving in london via the stansted express. i even picked my hotel for it's close location to waterloo station so i could get to southampton easily.

my CC friends have a van, with plenty of room for luggage and in the end i think the cost will be about the same when i figure in the cost of a taxi from the southampton station to the ship.

i do agree that taking the train would be more of a 'local' experience. i'll be making liberal use of my travel card for the tube and busses. i plan on taking the train to windsor castle (included with the london card & travel pass). too bad there is no longer a 'ship train' that i've read about from the golden days of cruising. sounded glamourous.

too bad there is no longer a 'ship train' that i've read about from the golden days of cruising. sounded glamourous.
Ah, yes - now that was the way to do it. I think that it still existed as recently as the 1980s, for some Cunard sailings. Pity that it's no longer.

Ah, yes - now that was the way to do it. I think that it still existed as recently as the 1980s, for some Cunard sailings. Pity that it's no longer.

Still runs - I'm on it in October.......They use carriages from the Brighton Belle - a very civilised way to do it - pulls up at the QEII terminal right next to the ship.

so, the tube to waterloo station then the train to southampton station. how do you get to RCCL's ship terminal. how far is it from the train station?

thanks

The train station to the port is a short distance - about 2 miles so only £5 in a taxi.

RCCL dock at Berth 101 at the City Cruise Terminal [Gate 10]

Archived