What Not to Take

cruiserdru

There have been lots of thread about what things we ought to pack and they have been great.

What I am looking for is what did you pack that you never used??

As I start making my lists for packing, I seem to have everything but the kitchen sink and I wanted to get some insight on what to leave behind.

clothes................I have always taken to many things to wear. I really don't need a dress shirt for every night onboard. I only wear the things for a few hours, there are cleaners and washing machines.....clothes.

I think you are sort of looking for the things like duct tape.........well we have never taken any of that odd stuff BUT we are going to take an over the door shoe rack thingy this trip, have noticed on the past two we could rreally use one.

:) Our 18th cruise is coming up in October and I have never found a need for:

Duct Tape

Power strips

Coffee Pots

Over the door shoe holder pockets thingys

Fans

Enjoy yourself and relax!

After seeing the prices for dry cleaning on the ship-I plan to wait until I get to the ship to have my suit cleaned. It was only $8 for a 2-piece suit. That way I don't have to worry about how it looks when I get there. I'll just ship it off the first day to cleaning, and have it nice and clean and unwrinkled when I need it. So, I wouldn't have all my clothes dry cleaned before I go!

I got to agree with Catmand , don't bring alot of clothes. I usually go on 10 day cruises and I pack one dressy outfit for both nights. I used to take too many tops and pants and found out that I hardly ever wore them so now I have that down to a science where I do alot of coordinating clothes such as black and navy pants which are staples of a women's wardrobe and a few tops that go with both pants. The first cruise I ever took I bought half my closet and swore I would never do that again. Take less clothes.

Marilyn

I'm with the others -- I pack far fewer clothes than I used to. I also have never used or needed duct tape, power strips or any of those other things. (I do bring a highlighter for the Patter, though.) For formal night, I bring just a black crepe skirt and a couple of tops. I also bring just 3 pairs of shoes: sneakers, sandals and black dressy shoes.

The night before packing, I pull everything out that I think I might want to take and hang it on an over-the-door rod. Then, I go through it to see what goes with what and leave the "odd" stuff at home. I wind up leaving about a third of what I think I'll take just 24 hours before.

My wife insists on packing snacks, like those cheez 'n' cracker combos. My supportive-husband style question to her is usually along the lines of, "Why the hell do you need to take food to a floating all-you-can-eat buffet?" We either drag them back home, unopened, or leave them for the cabin steward.

:) Our 18th cruise is coming up in October and I have never found a need for:

Duct Tape

Power strips

Coffee Pots

Over the door shoe holder pockets thingys

Fans

Enjoy yourself and relax!

DITTO!!!! On our first cruise I took 2 shorts, 3 slacks, 1 skirt, 2 pairs of shoes and 1 formal too many. I never bring anything that needs dry cleaning, except for hubby's suit (and usually don't do that since he wears it only twice). And I now wear the same formal twice on a 10 day cruise...on the longer cruise I brought one long black skirt and two dressy tops for formal. I bring along an old fold up tote, hang that up in the closet and that's where I toss my shoes to keep them out of the way. I have found out that you definitely do not need to be a fashion plate on a cruise. Comfort is the priority. Definitely leave the "gadgets" at home. However, don't forget your cell phone charger!

What you don't need to bring:

1. Blow Dryer - each cabin has one.

2. Shampoo / Conditioner - unless you are very picky about the brand.

3. Food / Snacks - there's food available 24/7.

4. 2 everything - the cruise shops carries toothpaste, sunscreen, aloe treatment lotion, dental floss, etc. so there's no need to pack two of everything.

Similar to everyone else, don't overpack cothing! If you love spending your time by the pool you'll probably end up wearing your swimsuit the entire time and will only really need one outfit per day.

However, I do like those shoe organizers b/c I perfer to have my shoes off the crowd so I can place my luggage in the closet.

Happy cruising!

RE: the shampoo/conditioner. DH would agree with you, but me and my overly thick, naturally curly (read: unruly) hair would respectfully disagree. I don't care for toiletries provided..I much prefer my own shampoo/soap/lotions

Actually, I should restate my phrase re: Shampoo and Conditioner b/c while that would apply to someone like my bf who has a shaved head, I need a deep conditioner to deal w/ my hair and all the damage it's been through from all the sun and salt water! :p So, unless you have long, thick or curly hair, the shampoo the cruise provides is suffiicient!

we have been on many cruises and what I have found to work best is to pack several empty soft sided bags the bigger the better.WHY you might ask.? Its so that I can pack everything that my mate purchases during the cruise. she has a quest to visit and make purchases at every store in every port that we hit. and when we are underway she sighs and says "well let me go see what they have on the ship. she cannot make just 1 purchase.. if she buys a blouse she must get a skirt to go with it, and of course shoes to match. If she sees a pair of earrings that she likes must include necklace and braclet and dont forget rings.... After 38 years I must conclude that it must be in the genes that she got from her mother who is the same way. I have been trying for many years to get her to go to a nudist camp for a vacation her answer is always no Why? NO SHOPPING... so after 38 years i have learned just to be quiet and pack empty suitcases and bags at least then i don't have 50 plastic bags to try to manhandle.... remember the worst day on a cruise is still better than the best day at work..........

All good points above. However, I did use the duct tape on my last cruise and I'm soooooo glad I took it.

Sometime between the time I checked in my large suitcase at the airport and the time I picked it up at baggage claim, the airline somehow managed to damage it and the only way to hold it together was to duct tape it. Not a pretty site but I had to get the thing onto the cruise ship and we didn't have time to go buy another suitcase.

By the way, it was clearly the airline's fault...the luggage was fairly new and of good quality. Accidents happen and it's good to be somewhat prepared. That little travel size roll of duct tape saved me a lot of grief. :p

Cheers!

I have the answer to the swimsuit cover up dilema as my favourite one is terry and take up a lot of room. I purchased two pairs of $5.00 nylon shorts and two cotton tank tops to coordinate with my bathing suits. I just pull the appropriate colored shorts and tank top over the suit du jour, add my lanyard (with cruise card and lip balm) and away I go to the Horizon Court. The shorts dry very quickly if they get wet and many of them have great pockets. I even bought a pair for my daughter in the boys' department as they have a back pocket with a button on it. She loves them!

Archived