Santiago Airport

Clint's Mom

For those of you who have been there:

Is there a restaurant ?

How long does it usually take to check in ?

How many lines do you go thru ?

Our plane does not leave until 4am!!Not ideal,but that is the way it is.

Anything you can tell me about this process will greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Is there a restaurant ?

Our plane does not leave until 4am!!Not ideal' date='but that is the way it is.

Anything you can tell me about this process will greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.[/quote']

Three or four restaurants/bars (sit down), fast food, pretty good book store. There is also a "left luggage" facility, but it is in the National terminal, NOT the international terminal

Check in lines can be VERY long, especially on cruise disembarkation day. You will have to go through check in, then security.

In Dec, we were flying LAN, our friends were flying Delta. We had airport club privileges in the LAN lounge and invited our friends. Both our planes left about 10:00PM. It took them about 4 hours to get through check in (economy-no elite airline status). They never made it to the lounge. They were VERY glad they got to the airport by 5:00PM.

As a frequent South America business traveler (Santiago and Lima, particularly), I would look into the possibility of buying a day pass to the airport club for the airline you are flying. But check first that they will be open at 3AM before you spend the money. Snacks, some of them have real food, drinks, tv, internet, quiet place to wait.

There is also a hotel, Hotel Diego de Almagro Aeropuerto, very close. May be worth you while to get a room and get some rest and a shower.

Just curious-what flight leaves at 4:00AM??? Most are out of SCL by midnight.

Thanks for your quick response.We will be flying Copa to Panama and Continental to Houston. It is fortunate (I guess) that we will have access to the Club if there is one for Copa.It promises to be a very long day,no matter what.We have a driver and guide from the time we get off the ship until about 7:30 pm so we will have a lot of time on our hands at the airport.

Thanks for your quick response.We will be flying Copa to Panama and Continental to Houston. It is fortunate (I guess) that we will have access to the Club if there is one for Copa.It promises to be a very long day' date='no matter what.We have a driver and guide from the time we get off the ship until about 7:30 pm so we will have a lot of time on our hands at the airport.[/quote']

No COPA and no Continental lounge in Santiago. There is a Delta Crown Room, but it closes at 10:00PM, so that doesn't do you much good. Sorry

LAN's lounge is very good and so is the Admiral's Club (AA). But they both close about 10:00PM, so not much help there.

Take a good book!!! Enjoy!!!

Even though I appreciate your promptness,I am sick to hear the message that there is no Copa or Continental Club room.How far is it from downtown Santiago to the airport? I am trying to decide if maybe we ought to take a room at a hotel and have a leisurely dinner at nice restaurant and go to the airport later.If we did this,which hotel and restaurant would you suggest? Many thanks for letting me pick your brain:)

We will be in Lima for a land tour prior to our cruise from Chile in April 2008. Does Lan have a lounge at the Lima airport? Our flight leaves at 1 am in the morning to get to Santiago at 6am. Also, any info out there regarding the shuttle by Lan Air to Vina del Mar from the Santiago airport and the hours they leave?

We will be in Lima for a land tour prior to our cruise from Chile in April 2008. Does Lan have a lounge at the Lima airport? Our flight leaves at 1 am in the morning to get to Santiago at 6am. Also, any info out there regarding the shuttle by Lan Air to Vina del Mar from the Santiago airport and the hours they leave?

Yes-very nice although small and can be pretty crowded. First and business class only. If you smoke, they have a smoking area.

I am not sure the lounge is open after the flight to JFK leaves (11:30PM). I am usually on this plane or the one to MIA (leaves at 10:50PM) The food court and internet cafe are kind of, sorta open all night, as are some of the stores. Lots of backpackers sleeping in the airport, as the planes from the USA arrive late evening and the planes to Cusco leave starting at 5:00AM. You will definitely NOT be alone in the airport.

PLEASE do not go wandering around outside the Lima airport. It is truly dangerous. The airport is in one of the WORST areas of Lima. Ripoffs, muggings, etc. happen a lot. Please be careful.

Don't forget-you have to pay departure tax to leave Peru. So don't dwaddle around after you think you have checked in. I have almost missed a couple flights as the lines were VERY long to pay departure tax. THEN you go through security.

The shuttle bus to Vina leaves about 8:30AM, unless they have changed the schedule. Takes about an hour and 1/2 to get to Vina.

• 3 weeks later...
we were hoping to stay in vina the night before our cruise.Is there a later bus from santiago airport area to vina...we get in at noon.Is this a good plan

Very good plan-Vina is a great town-very, very pretty.

There are buses which run about every 1/2 hour. There are also tour/transport companies which can get you to Vina. Obviously, the public buses are cheap, but you will have to deal with getting luggage on and off.

You may want to look into a rental. Advantage rental car rents from Santiago airport to Vina del Mar and reverse. Easy drive, you can stop and see some of the wineries. And you can drive up in the hills in Vina-the views and houses are spectacular. VERY easy drive-4 lane toll road-with a service plaza that has a McDonald's. About $100 for one way car rental.

Yes the vip LOUNGE IN lim IS open very late because so many flights leave from 10pm-2am. It is very nice and has a small sleeping area as well as internet good food and some free computers you can use if you dont have your laptop. Make sure you have gate agent give you a pass for it though and you may have to ask very nicely as some airlines are very stingy with VIP passes as it is aupposed to be first and business class only

Yes the vip LOUNGE IN lim IS open very late because so many flights leave from 10pm-2am. It is very nice and has a small sleeping area as well as internet good food and some free computers you can use if you dont have your laptop. Make sure you have gate agent give you a pass for it though and you may have to ask very nicely as some airlines are very stingy with VIP passes as it is aupposed to be first and business class only

Just curious-have a question. I know you are in Peru about as many times per year as I am.

Is the LAN lounge open after the 11:50PM flight to NYC leaves? I have taken the NYC flight quite a few times and it always was my impression that the lounge was closing after the flight left. At least the attendants certainly made sure every one left the lounge.

And the gate agents give out VIP passes for the lounge????. Where, in case I need to get one?

I am an AA EXP-OneWorld Emerald (top tier) and an AA Admiral's club member. IF I take the AA flight instead of the LAN flight, I ALWAYS have to hassle to get into the lounge. 75% of the time I fly at least business class. But by virtue of my One World status, I should automatically be given access to the lounge, no matter what class I fly.

Really frustrating if LAN is refusing admittance to an AA top tier elite and gate agents are giving out passes to the lounge.

Just curious-have a question. I know you are in Peru about as many times per year as I am.

Is the LAN lounge open after the 11:50PM flight to NYC leaves? I have taken the NYC flight quite a few times and it always was my impression that the lounge was closing after the flight left. At least the attendants certainly made sure every one left the lounge.

And the gate agents give out VIP passes for the lounge????. Where, in case I need to get one?

I am an AA EXP-OneWorld Emerald (top tier) and an AA Admiral's club member. IF I take the AA flight instead of the LAN flight, I ALWAYS have to hassle to get into the lounge. 75% of the time I fly at least business class. But by virtue of my One World status, I should automatically be given access to the lounge, no matter what class I fly.

Really frustrating if LAN is refusing admittance to an AA top tier elite and gate agents are giving out passes to the lounge.

greatam

Yes the lounge is open after midnight. The reason it is hard to get the passes is because the lounge is shared by all the airlines and not just one alliance.

If you are flying in business you can definitley get a pass. I have some luck showing my World club pass and my skyteam eliteplus card when on Delta or Continental in coach also.

It seems to me that the gate agents in LIM dont know the rules very well and you can explain them to them. I have always either flown delta or continental from there though and as delta has 3 -70lb bag allowance for there elites I have some success getting that perk with my NWA plat card also. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

We are flying out of Santiago airport after a cruise in February 2008. We will be flying business class on American Airlines and wondered if they have a club at this airport. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Renee

Clint's Mom: Would love to know how it goes!!! I'm on the same flight, but not leaving until the Nov. 29th. Last spring I used Delta and rode 'front of the bus', however there wasn't any seats open for using miles... so we are stuck with back of the bus seats, doing the Copa/Continental pain.

Greatam: Thanks for the heads up!!! We will be flying to Lima post cruise to visit M.P. then returning to SCL for the return flight home. (on LAN)

Cruisingrandy: Also want to say thanks for the reminder about using the World Perks card. While I'll be using LAN, I am a NW elite with a club membership.

We are flying out of Santiago airport after a cruise in February 2008. We will be flying business class on American Airlines and wondered if they have a club at this airport. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Renee

Very nice Admiral's club in SCL. Enjoy!!!

greatam-when you say that left luggage is in the national terminal as opposed to the international are they still accessible to each other-in the same bldg?

In February (my latest trip in 2007 so far), the national terminal was closed off from the international terminal (renovation). They are actually in the same VERY large building, but you had to go outside, then go back inside.

Who knows what they are renovating and how they are doing it??? Someone mentioned that they were moving left luggage to the international terminal. Sorry I can't give you more specific information, but change is in the air at SCL.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your quick response.We will be flying Copa to Panama and Continental to Houston. It is fortunate (I guess) that we will have access to the Club if there is one for Copa.It promises to be a very long day' date='no matter what.We have a driver and guide from the time we get off the ship until about 7:30 pm so we will have a lot of time on our hands at the airport.[/quote']

To: Clint's Mom...

We're arriving in Valparaiso on 1/10/08 and looking for transportation to the Santiago airport. We have a flight out at 4pm. Would you mind sharing the name of the company you're using for the trip? We'd like to make our reservations in advance.

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

HI Ruth

My husband and I made adjustments for our trips with http://www.enaturchile.com they are high recommended and not request money in advance. In our transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso, we visited a vineyard and the main demonstrations of Vina Mar and Valparaiso. we think that it was sufficient.

I hope to have been able to help

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a restaurant ?

Our plane does not leave until 4am!!Not ideal' date='but that is the way it is.

Anything you can tell me about this process will greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.[/quote']

For anyone who may want to check out the airport diagrams or other specifics, here is a line to the Santiago International Airport site:

http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/ingles/index.php

I'm a cruiser but will not cruise SA until probably 2009. I have traveled to Santiago and spent most of August 07 thereabouts, mostly La Serena (work-related).

Upon my arrival in Chile I had to obtain a Visa at the airport, which as a cruiser may be waived? I don't want to give out a whole lot of information about this if the Visa is waived, but if anyone is interested or if anyone knows if it is waived because you are cruiser, please let me know.

Thanks,

VB1

Archived