WINDSTAR dissappointment

sockster

Just a brief note on the Windsurf: Just returned from Barcelona-Monte Carlo cruise. Fantastic ports. Very short stays in most ports caused not enough time to see these chic ports. The wait staff tried very hard to make the stay wonderful. We had some complaints: while in Europe, why come back to such a wonderful venue and have to eat American food instead of local wonderful food from the region visited that day? During our week, there were LOUD, OBNOXIOUS New Yorkers screaming and partying LOUDLY every day and night. One of the crew members told me it was the worst crowd in his eight years on Windsurf. The bottom line of this review is: If you want a European sofisticatied experience, look at another cruise line. This is an American cruise line giving you a truly American experience (with the worst bands you have ever heard) in Europe. The new captain has 0 personality and it shows in his executive staff. Hotel chief Marcella is just and dry and has no personality either. She will walk right by you without saying a word. We felt that this experience felt like we could have been on a small Carnival cruise ship, (with sails of course), with much better service from the wait staff, instead of an expensive luxury cruise, with a crew with an atitude. VERY DISAPPOINTING!! I would never take this line again..Look elsewhere if you want a true European cruise. :eek:

Sorry about your bad experience on the Wind Surf, but it can happen on any ship. We have gone on a total of 10 cruises, 6 with Windstar, and have encountered : noisy Russians, pushy Australians, snooty French and a rude German lady (?) that attacked me on New Year's Eve for Pres. Bush's policies. Yes, there are always those travelers who feel free to annoy others, no matter what their nationality,but the vast amount of people we have met on our cruises have been polite and interesting. We have 3 cruises lined up for next year with Windstar, as we love their ships and their crew members. Hope your next cruise on whatever ship is a wonderful experience.

Can't comment on staff attitude; I don't go on cruises to make friends with the people who work on the ship. Went on a Wind Surf cruise in June and found the crew to be very well mannered on the whole. I wonder why, if these passengers were so obnoxious and bothering so many people, the crew did not do something about it? Since when do bores and rude people have more rights than others?

Basically, I take a European cruise to get a European feeling. Here, we were on an American cruise ship in Europe...eating American food. If you never got off the ship, you never would have known where you were! :eek:

I always value everyone's opinion but I sure hope you are wrong about Windsurf being so bad this year.

We have 3 weeks booked on Windsurf between now and the end of the year (one Venice-Rome Sept 2nd and back to back Barbados-Barbados for Christmas and New Years) We have never been disappointed in 5 prior Windstar cruises and hope it isn't changing due to the recent sale. We have been looking forward to seeing the new refurbishing of the cabins and ship.

I had heard that Captain John (our favorite) is staying with Holland American and was seen by a friend on a HAL cruise recently. That is a disappointment - he was always a lot of fun to sail with.

Has anyone else had similar experiences to the one posted above? (e.g. disappointing crew etc.)

Thanks

We are cruising on the Windsurf in October and will end up in Venice where we are staying an additional couple of days at the San Clemente Palace. Does anyone know the area and how to get from the port to the hotel?

TIA

Has anyone else had similar experiences to the one posted above? (e.g. disappointing crew etc.)

Thanks

If you look at the complaints of the OP they tend to center around a specific group of guests and the fact that Windstar is an American style cruise ship.

The problem with the guests can happen on any cruise line. The fact that Windstar is an American style cruise ship is one of the things that many of us enjoy.

I would not worry about the cruises that you have booked.

Enjoy

We are cruising on the Windsurf in October and will end up in Venice where we are staying an additional couple of days at the San Clemente Palace. Does anyone know the area and how to get from the port to the hotel?

TIA

I'm afraid that your question here is going to get lost since it is buried under a posting for a different topic altogether. However, to answer your question, go to the Ports of Call / Europe / Mediterranean East & West forum on this board and do a search -- this has to be one of the most frequently asked questions about Venice, so you probably won't have to search too far!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just thought I'd chime in...we have to have been on the same cruise as the itinerary was the same and Sockster was absolutely right about the obnoxious passengers. I mean, they weren't rude to others but they sure were loud.

The problem as I understand it is there were two sizeable (and on a ship this small anything more than ten qualifies) groups of passengers onboard and they tended to dominate the scene. One couple, part of one of the groups, told me that they couldn't believe how much their fellow pals drank -- and um, yes, I could understand that -- and that their own bar bill for the week was $2,000 -- and it was the smallest of anyone in their group. So there you go :)

Re the ports. I loved the calls so have to disagree with you there -- favorite day was the really long day in Marseilles, which meant I got to go to Avignon and also spend some time in Marseilles. And re the food -- well, I ate ashore in every port which I tend to do.

On the whole, I thought the experience was quite similar to that of a couple of years ago (on the same ship), some excellent, some stuff that needs improvement, like on any cruise, really. But I will say this: the ship looks a million times more beautiful than I remembered and that is of course due to its recent major overhaul. Just lovely....

I'm working on the review of the ship and a Come Aboard feature...will let you know when it's launched.

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic.com

Just a brief note on the Windsurf: Just returned from Barcelona-Monte Carlo cruise. Fantastic ports. Very short stays in most ports caused not enough time to see these chic ports. The wait staff tried very hard to make the stay wonderful. We had some complaints: while in Europe, why come back to such a wonderful venue and have to eat American food instead of local wonderful food from the region visited that day? During our week, there were LOUD, OBNOXIOUS New Yorkers screaming and partying LOUDLY every day and night. One of the crew members told me it was the worst crowd in his eight years on Windsurf. The bottom line of this review is: If you want a European sofisticatied experience, look at another cruise line. This is an American cruise line giving you a truly American experience (with the worst bands you have ever heard) in Europe. The new captain has 0 personality and it shows in his executive staff. Hotel chief Marcella is just and dry and has no personality either. She will walk right by you without saying a word. We felt that this experience felt like we could have been on a small Carnival cruise ship, (with sails of course), with much better service from the wait staff, instead of an expensive luxury cruise, with a crew with an atitude. VERY DISAPPOINTING!! I would never take this line again..Look elsewhere if you want a true European cruise. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that if a primary travel goal is enjoyment of fine Mediterranean cuisine using locally grown ingredients, land-based travel might be a better choice for your trip. Or at least, as one poster mentioned, dine on shore at every port. I don't think ship cuisine is likely to be truly "local". That would be a huge challenge for the cruise line, wouldn't it?

Archived