Sailaway from Fort Lauderdale

mhugcat

Is sail away exciting on Princess. I have never cruised Princess neither have I sailed away from FLL, so my questions are:-

Is there music playing.

Champagne or cocktails.

A seafood buffet (which I recall from another thread)

Anything else??

Our cabin is completely AFT, so would this be a good spot to be? all be it a bit lonely though.

I imagine sailaway to be quite exciting as it's the start of hopefully a brilliant vacation:) :)

Christine

Is sail away exciting on Princess. I have never cruised Princess neither have I sailed away from FLL, so my questions are:-

Is there music playing.

Champagne or cocktails.

A seafood buffet (which I recall from another thread)

Anything else??

Our cabin is completely AFT, so would this be a good spot to be? all be it a bit lonely though.

I imagine sailaway to be quite exciting as it's the start of hopefully a brilliant vacation:) :)

Christine

When sailing out of Port Everglades, I have to admit, it used to be a lot more exciting. When one of the mega ships would sail out, the condos on shore that you sail past used to blow air horns and drop their logo banners. But I think it is getting old hat now, as we haven't seen that in the last few years when sailing out.

As for on the ship, the seafood buffet would be on the Caribbean Princess, but sailing out of FLL that is the only ship that offers it right now. There is always music playing at sailaway, usually around the pool area. Cocktails flow freely as long as you are willing to pay, no freebies, sorry.

If you want quiet, stay on your balcony for sailaway, if you want music and crowds, then go to the pool area.

When sailing out of Port Everglades, I have to admit, it used to be a lot more exciting. When one of the mega ships would sail out, the condos on shore that you sail past used to blow air horns and drop their logo banners. But I think it is getting old hat now, as we haven't seen that in the last few years when sailing out.

Toto they were still there and put on a show in March for us. We always book a port side cabin when leaving from FLL for just that reason. If one sails out on a Saturday or Sunday I do believe there is still always a show of somekind not only from the condos but from people out on the beach and the jetty. We've oft times wondered if the cruise lines don't compensate those folks in some fashion. We always have 4 balcony cabins in a row and one of the fellows has the Love Boat Theme on CD and we have our own Sail Away party fuled by all that stuff we were not supposed to bring on board with us. :eek: Lots of fun! :D

Hummmmmmmm, I wonder why the last few years we have not seen it? Maybe we have sailed on the wrong day or something? I know it used to be a hoot to hear all those air horns and watch the banners drop. We sail out again in August and have a port side, will have to see if they do it this time.

Actually glad to hear it still happens. I can remember when the Grand was new and the first year or so it sailed out the show on shore was more fun to watch then what was going on onboard the ship. :)

On our last cruise the locals were having fun mooning us and the girls taking their bathing suit tops off while they were in their own boats going past us:eek: :D . If you were looking you got an eye FULL:eek:

Sailaway is always one of the best parts of the cruise. I enjoy being on one of the top decks, drink in hand, and watching the shore slip away. I especially enjoy when there are a number of other cruise ships in port and a couple of them sail away first.

I think the farewell you get at FLL from the condo dwellers is partially dependent upon the time of the year.

I have told the story previously on these boards that I sailed just before and just after Sept 11. When our ship, Grand Princess, sailed out (it had a couple of sailings cancelled during that time), there were many, many people with the air horns, signs, flags, etc. Everyone appreciated seeing the ships start sailing again. It was a great moment.

Archived