Digital Photo Taking

I'm not Sue

Those of you who have taken digital photos' date=' do you carry a large compact flash card or download to laptop? I'd like not to take the laptop and have a 2GB flash card. I tend to take lots of pictures when we travel.[/quote']

We just took extra memory cards with us. We ended up with about 500 pictures, but we both got sick and I have a feeling we would have had many more than that if I had been feeling well ;)

Those of you who have taken digital photos' date=' do you carry a large compact flash card or download to laptop? I'd like not to take the laptop and have a 2GB flash card. I tend to take lots of pictures when we travel.[/quote']

I take several flash cards and download to a data storage device called Wolverine. Works great. But, I tend to take hundreds of photos and shoot in RAW format. For the average photograher, flash memory has really come down in price - so a couple extra cards should work fine.

Memory cards are getting cheaper - I bought a 1G Sandisk last month at CircuitCity for $20 - today I got a 2G Ultra for $30 (bothSD).

Good to have spares and more than enough memory in case a card fails - and cards are easier to pack than a laptop.

We took a 2 GB card and had no problems, except when I had to readjust the resolution down (I'd been taking them at high resolution,. and lowered it halfway through the cruise when I realized I was low on space!) Given my lower res photos are still at 1600 x 1200, I'm not worried.

Lets see - the cruise probably cost you several thousand dollars at least. You can buy a 2 gig card for less than $20. If you buy 5 of them, the cost of the cards (which are reusable) will be about 2 1/2% of your vacation cost or looking at it in a different way, less than 1 excursion.

HOWEVER, what happens if one of your cards die which they do on occasion. All of your pictures are lost. So, also take your computer so that you have a backup of what is on your card.

If you do not want to take the whole computer, there are devices that you can put your card in directly. The problem with this method is you can not look at your pictures.

Now, if you want to be totally paranod (which I am), also take a portable hard drive (cost about $100) so that you can backup the stuff on your computer to a third location.

DON

On our 1st trip to Alaska we were there for 2.5 weeks. We took about 2500

pics. We had our laptop with us. But memory was so so much more.

But on the cruises we have taken the last 2 years we only take the memory.

I just purchased on line 4GB CF X 2 for $24.00 each, free shipping. So I should

not run out now on my next year trip to Alaska!

If you really are worried about it you can get them printed or loaded to CDROM

on the ship or in several ports. The cost anymore is not too bad.

"I just purchased on line 4GB CF X 2 for $24.00 each, free shipping. So I should not run out now on my next year trip to Alaska!"

Where online did you get 4 GB for $24? What a deal!:eek:

When I have my 4MP Canon 3G, 2 to 3G Flash Memory is fine with me for a 7-day cruise, but I bring a laptop along for a longer than 7-days cruise. I bought my 10.2MP Canon XTi recently, I brought 7G of momory with me on our May 2007 Alaska cruise, and used up all of them because I like to take pictures.

It depends on what type the digital camera do you have, like Canon 3G has about 1 to 2M per picture; but my new Canon XTi is about 4 to 6M per picture. Also, you can view the pictures you took on your spare time, delete the one you don't like, and leave more space for youself, and you may not need to set to the highest resolution for all your pictures.

Enjoy your cruise,

Nancy

I transfer pictures from memory cards to the computer each night, then burn a CD as a back up. DD was in Europe for 6 weeks and put all her pictures on her computer. The computer died. :( Lesson learned: Back up always.

Thank you for your input. I also have a 512card in addition to the 2GB' date=' but think I'll pick up another card to be safe.[/quote']

On an Alaska cruise it's so easy to get carried away shooting the magnificent scenery that I'd buy one more card than you think you'll need.

I bought three 2 gig cards before I left.

Also, to prepare in case I took LOTS of pictures, I bought an Apple video IPOD with a camera connector. Before we left I downloaded songs to listened to. Then I could download my pictures for backup--with the video feature you can see them after they download, which made me feel better.

Also, great music use on the plane!

what does it cost to transfer your pictures to a cd while on board? Or better yet since this is a rather port intensive cruise are there places on shore where you can either burn a cd or send your pictures to your email?
If you take lots of high resolution photos taking up several Gigabytes of storage (like some people are doing these days), please remember you will need to burn many CDs to store all of it (a CD only holds up to 650 MB worth of photos)! Better to burn DVDs (4 GB+ each) if you are shooting a lot of photos.

As for email, it's simply not feasible or cost-effective to send photos over the internet. Even if you had the email server storage capacity, it would probably take a few minutes to upload EACH photo at the ship's very slow internet speed. Considering you are paying $$$ per minute, you'd be broke before you could send a couple dozen photos!

I just purchased on line 4GB CF X 2 for $24.00 each, free shipping. So I should

not run out now on my next year trip to Alaska!

My personal preference only, but I don't buy any memory cards larger than 1GB. With my camera at the finest setting I get about 300 photo on a 1GB card. That is more photos than I am comfortable in losing in case the memory card goes bad. A 4GB card would be able to store 1,200 of my precious photos. That is about all I took at Katmai NP in 2-1/2 days. I would be heartbroken if ALL of my photos were lost on the card for some reason. Having used 4 memory cards, if one went bad at least I would still have 75% of my photos from Katmai. If you saw my photos from Katmai, which I just had some printed today, you would be heartbroken too, if you lost them all.

Again, just personal preference. But note that memory cards can and do go bad. Note that you can and should reformat your cards every once in a while (see the instructions that came with your camera).

John

The larger cards may be cheaper per gig, but I'm with John and just don't want to take a chance on losing that many pics! (Also plan on using two separate cameras, downloading to both computer and cd's at night!)

I'm not sure of the cost on all cruiselines, but on Celebrity Constellation, the charge to download the photos to a CD was $14.95.

also keep in mind, it takes 3 CDs to download a 2GB CF memory card. The cost of downloading to CD far exceeds the cost of CF itself. I myself took laptop with me, which is used for daily download and GPS as well.

You can lose pictures on anything. Hard drives on laptops go bad, memory cards go bad, etc.

I prefer just getting a bunch of smaller memory cards and then spreading out the pictures above them. Just reformat them before the trip. I've got enough luggage without having to worry about lugging a laptop around.

You can lose pictures on anything. Hard drives on laptops go bad, memory cards go bad, etc.

I prefer just getting a bunch of smaller memory cards and then spreading out the pictures above them. Just reformat them before the trip.

Of course you can lose pictures on anything but the chances of all 5 memory cards going bad rather than 1 memory card going bad is vey slim. Another reason why I don't delete the photos from my memory cards until they are both on my laptop and backed up onto another medium (CD's or external hard drive).

I've got enough luggage without having to worry about lugging a laptop around.

I need to carry my laptop to do some work while I travel (for those who say it is not a vacation if you have to work as well, you can just be jealous of my three trips to Alaska this year not to mention 14 other trips this year within the US and to Europe). So carrying the laptop for me is just a part of life.

What about if you have the video cable then view your photos at night and delete the "bad" ones - would that be an idea to free memory space?

Not sure about that, but I have looked through the digital display on the back of my Nikon and deleted some that way. Unfortunately it is not a big enough display to delete ALL the ones I didn't want (hard to tell). Plus, with Katmai I did a lot of bracketing so it is hard to tell the subtle differences between 1/2 stop over or under. Viewing them on the larger TV would help. But honestly, I hardly have enough time to be out on the deck viewing, and on the shore excursions. Last year I only downloaded and quickly backed up photos. Did the sorting, editing, etc. once I got home.

John

Archived