Carry-on info needed

UGA Fan

We will be flying to Vancouver in Sept for our Alaska cruise. I would like to know if I can take a backpack besides a carry-on bag on the plane. I would use the backpack as my "purse" and put our camera in it as well. I didn't see on the airline website anything about backpacks. It would be nice if I could carry one as my purse and my husband could take one to put another camera in as well as a regular small suitcase.

I suggest that you go to your respective airline web site and there will be an area on the site that will provide you with the information you are looking on carry ons. On domestic flights most airlines allow a carry on (they will note the size) plus one personal item such as a purse, small computer case and small backpack. Some folks will try to interpret the rules to bring on both a carry on and an enourmous backpack but the gate agent can and sometimes does stop them.

Keith

I suggest that you go to your respective airline web site and there will be an area on the site that will provide you with the information you are looking on carry ons. On domestic flights most airlines allow a carry on (they will note the size) plus one personal item such as a purse, small computer case and small backpack. Some folks will try to interpret the rules to bring on both a carry on and an enourmous backpack but the gate agent can and sometimes does stop them.

Keith

Thank you for your response. I did check the Continental airline website and nothing was mentioned about a backpack as a personal item. It was stated that one bag and one personal item was allowed and the size couldn't be over 51 lin. inches. The personal items suggested were a purse, briefcase, laptop computer and camera case. etc. Guess I will just skip the backpack and try to find a large purse that will work. I would hate to be turned down on getting on with a backpack and a carry-on.

Thank you for your response. I did check the Continental airline website and nothing was mentioned about a backpack as a personal item. It was stated that one bag and one personal item was allowed and the size couldn't be over 51 lin. inches. The personal items suggested were a purse, briefcase, laptop computer and camera case. etc. Guess I will just skip the backpack and try to find a large purse that will work. I would hate to be turned down on getting on with a backpack and a carry-on.

I think you are wise to do that. The airlines are not the only ones that might stop you, either. When you first go through security, the screeners may interpret the rules so that the backpack is not the personal item but another carry-on. I actually saw that happen to someone recently at Nashville International. The screeners told her she was going to have to check either the backpack or the bag.

And, while we're talking about carry-ons, I guess I will mention that you really need to watch what items you carry on with you. Over the weekend, screeners took an almost empty tube of toothpaste from us. It was a full-size tube, but had maybe two days of toothpaste left in it (and it fit in the quart bag). Didn't matter. . . .They took it. Of course, last month (when it was almost completely full), it went through without a hitch.

The problem with all of this screening stuff is that, while there are "specific regulations," different airports - and screeners - interpret the rules in different ways.

I'm not complaining about it. . . .I'd rather be safe than sorry. . .

Chris

I think you are wise to do that. The airlines are not the only ones that might stop you, either. When you first go through security, the screeners may interpret the rules so that the backpack is not the personal item but another carry-on. I actually saw that happen to someone recently at Nashville International. The screeners told her she was going to have to check either the backpack or the bag.

And, while we're talking about carry-ons, I guess I will mention that you really need to watch what items you carry on with you. Over the weekend, screeners took an almost empty tube of toothpaste from us. It was a full-size tube, but had maybe two days of toothpaste left in it (and it fit in the quart bag). Didn't matter. . . .They took it. Of course, last month (when it was almost completely full), it went through without a hitch.

The problem with all of this screening stuff is that, while there are "specific regulations," different airports - and screeners - interpret the rules in different ways.

I'm not complaining about it. . . .I'd rather be safe than sorry. . .

Chris

Thanks for the "heads-up" tips. I will just pack my backpack that we use on excursions in Alaska in one of my check-in bags. I don't want to take the chance of it either going to be ok or not. I am just going to have to double check and measure our small suitcase to make sure it is the right size for a carry-on and pack as much as I can without it going over 40lbs. We are so use to driving to ports that it is going to be a challenge for me to pack for flying and the worry of the luggage not making it to the ship with us.:D I got really worried last March when we went to the Western Caribbean and one of my suitcases didn't show up in the room and I had to go down to the purser's desk. I thought that it had gotten left back at the port. I ended up finding it along with other people's "lost" luggage in a conference room. They had pulled it aside because I had suntan lotion and shampoo and cond. in it. It was during the time that they were checking for spring breakers. I was afraid that it was "lost forever" and of course, pushed the panic button!:p My husband had his luggage but I just had the luck of the draw so to speak and didn't have mine. I always try to put some of his stuff in my bag and some of mine in his. But, wouldn't you know that this was the one time I failed to do that. Live and learn, huh?

Again, thanks for your advice.

I always travel with my backpack and then either a duffel bag, roll-aboard suitcase, or laptop computer bag.

I have never had any issue carrying both on as carry-on and have been through a myriad of airports & airlines.

Maybe you might have an issue of you try to use one of those extra large camping backpacks, but if you use a regular sized back pack you shouldn't have an issue.

As an aside, what I do if the security lines aren't too long and I have time and am running into a TSA person who is Dudley Do-Right is that I just leave the line and get in another line. Mostly this takes care of any problem with Dudley Do-Right saying my bag is not within the limits.

Archived