RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

I can honestly say that I haven't met 99% of the smokers, but the ones that I have met have no problem blowing smoke freely. I personally love the courteous smokers who turn their heads so they won't blow smoke in faces at their own table, but instead blow it in the face of a person at the next table...:rolleyes:

Ah, the debate rages on...

LL

lol.....isn't that the truth!

I propose that RCI build a new ship called the Complainers of the Seas. Then all the people who have nothing better to do than complain about________(fill in the blank) can cruise together and enjoy their vacations griping since, it appears, that's what makes them happy. The only problem is would it be smoking or non-smoking. Okay...maybe 2 ships.....;)

That is probably the funniest thing I've read all day!:D

Coy860

I was on the Navigator with Coxswain and thinking about it, he is right. There were smoking tables in the Schooner bar, boleros, the champagne bar, cosmopolitan Lounge, 19th Hole, two poets etc. In fact every bar I went in onboard had a smoking section. Perhaps because I am a smoker, I didnt look too hard for a non smoking bar anyway but other than the Windjammer Bar, I truly cant say I saw one :eek:

Chubbas XX

Here is where RCI's inconsistent smoking policy gets confusing. When I went on the Mariner in March I had a very hard time finding a smoking bar. Viking Crown and Schooner Bar were smoking in August and non smoking in March when I went back. The Schooner Bar had so many stickers (every few inches) on the bar area that I thought it was a joke. The Lotus Lounge which permits smoking had no entertainment the whole week. The only bar that offered smoking was Bolero's and Wig & Gavel where it was impossible to find a seat.

There was a smoking thread this past May where someone posted that the Mariner, Brilliance and another ship offer less smoking areas than the other ships in the fleet.

I believe that is was Thumper the rabbit who once said...

"If you can't say something nice' date='[/color']

then don't say anything at all!"

I think it was same move but wasn't it Flower the skunk?

But as my mom said..."If you can' say something nice about someone... come and sit next to me:eek: :eek: :D "

I propose that RCI build a new ship called the Complainers of the Seas. Then all the people who have nothing better to do than complain about________(fill in the blank) can cruise together and enjoy their vacations griping since, it appears, that's what makes them happy. The only problem is would it be smoking or non-smoking. Okay...maybe 2 ships.....;)

Actually, it would be both smoking and non-smoking. But the rules would change hourly.

Also, all lounge chairs would be reserved by the ship staff.

All DR staff would wear tuxedo tops with khaki shorts or jeans.

Actually, it would be both smoking and non-smoking. But the rules would change hourly.

Also, all lounge chairs would be reserved by the ship staff.

All DR staff would wear tuxedo tops with khaki shorts or jeans.

All DR staff would wear tuxedo tops with khaki shorts or jeans...to the dining room on formal night:D

I really wish people would "get over" the smoking thing. I find it simply amazing what they can and DO advertise on t.v. but yet someone lights a cigarette and the world comes to an end. If you are outside in the open air your chances of getting anything from the "2nd hand smoke" is so small - and if you don't like it move. Smokers pay the same price for their cruise as everyone else does yet they are treated like second class citizens. You don't like my smoke - I don't like your hairspray or perfume that you put on so thick is chokes me (and by the way is BAD for the ozone layer). I'm not a drinker so I don't want drunks around me, so maybe the next thing the cruise lines should ban is drinking. I've walked into common areas before that were so heavily perfumed I had an instant headache and the smell of alcohol is overwhelming, but no one complains aobut that. Stop and think - it's not the smoker who jumps off the ship - it's usually the drunk!! America used to be a "free" country, but for smokers it sure doesn't seem free anymore.

I really wish people would "get over" the smoking thing. I find it simply amazing what they can and DO advertise on t.v. but yet someone lights a cigarette and the world comes to an end. If you are outside in the open air your chances of getting anything from the "2nd hand smoke" is so small - and if you don't like it move. Smokers pay the same price for their cruise as everyone else does yet they are treated like second class citizens. You don't like my smoke - I don't like your hairspray or perfume that you put on so thick is chokes me (and by the way is BAD for the ozone layer). I'm not a drinker so I don't want drunks around me, so maybe the next thing the cruise lines should ban is drinking. I've walked into common areas before that were so heavily perfumed I had an instant headache and the smell of alcohol is overwhelming, but no one complains aobut that. Stop and think - it's not the smoker who jumps off the ship - it's usually the drunk!! America used to be a "free" country, but for smokers it sure doesn't seem free anymore.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

America is free more than ever now that non-smokers are more free of second hand smoke-

Goodness! I have read this thread for two days now and just can't contain myself! I have to say I have never been flamed on these boards before by you nice, helpful people. Guess that is about to change!

What happened to reasonable tolerance? I have always booked a balcony room and will continue to do so. Yes, now that the cruiselines seem to be drifting towards non-smoking cabins, more smokers will book balcony cabins - - or they will not cruise. As my DH never smoked, I never smoked in our cabin anyway; I really do not like the smell of stale cigarettes on my linens and clothes. I smoke only in smoking 'areas'. When smoking was prohibited at my federal workplace several years ago, I went to the 'smoking room'. It gave me the opportunity to meet some of the nicest people.

Like Trainman-2, I want to know what to do with the cigarette butts. I have always emptied the balcony ashtray into a plastic bag, knotted it and put it into the waste can in the cabin.

Now what do I do with it to avoid appearing to be 'hiding' the butts in the can and being slapped with a cabin 'fine'?

Oh well. I hope this is resolved quickly as I would like to book a bargain cruise with RC since so many people are cancelling their cruises. There should be some great deals - - possibly. If things get too restrictive for the smokers, their bookings will stop. I can only imagine the cruise fare increase as the nonsmokers will have to subsidize the smoker's cabins ..... since they won't be there.

Complainers: grow up and count your blessings (and your money!).

I think you've got something there - make the cabins on one side of the ship smoking and the other non smoking. When you book a cruise if all the balcony rooms are taken in the section you want you'd have to make that choice for yourself "do I or don't I". It makes more sense to split the cabins this way. But who says big companies ever make sense. For the record I am a smoker who has tried repeatedly to quit - it's not as easy as all you non smokers seem to think it is. Some smoke for the enjoyment, some smoke because they are so addicted and others smoke just because!!

Goodness! I have read this thread for two days now and just can't contain myself! I have to say I have never been flamed on these boards before by you nice, helpful people. Guess that is about to change!

What happened to reasonable tolerance? I have always booked a balcony room and will continue to do so. Yes, now that the cruiselines seem to be drifting towards non-smoking cabins, more smokers will book balcony cabins - - or they will not cruise. As my DH never smoked, I never smoked in our cabin anyway; I really do not like the smell of stale cigarettes on my linens and clothes. I smoke only in smoking 'areas'. When smoking was prohibited at my federal workplace several years ago, I went to the 'smoking room'. It gave me the opportunity to meet some of the nicest people.

Like Trainman-2, I want to know what to do with the cigarette butts. I have always emptied the balcony ashtray into a plastic bag, knotted it and put it into the waste can in the cabin.

Now what do I do with it to avoid appearing to be 'hiding' the butts in the can and being slapped with a cabin 'fine'?

Oh well. I hope this is resolved quickly as I would like to book a bargain cruise with RC since so many people are cancelling their cruises. There should be some great deals - - possibly. If things get too restrictive for the smokers, their bookings will stop. I can only imagine the cruise fare increase as the nonsmokers will have to subsidize the smoker's cabins ..... since they won't be there.

Amen to that!! We always get a balcony room and we bring along our own little ashtray with a built in smoke "sucker upper" and the room stewart empties it off the balcony each day. Until they tell me I can't even smoke on my balcony I will continue to cruise, continue to smoke on my balcony and continue to smile nicely as I listen to those who have drenched themselves in the worst smelling perfume complain about my cigarette smoke.

Good point! I guess people will leave the ash trays in the cabin where they are not suppose to smoke so the stewards can empty them;) I'm not sure they'd want people to leave them on the balcony with ashes blowing around:) I see very little change for balcony/suite guests. Hey, non smokers have been asking for non smoking cabins for a long time and now they have them. They now have all the non smoking interiors and Oceanviews they want:) There is no reasonable tolerance with some of the people on the smoking threads and it seems some people will never be happy. I'm sure RCCL thinks it's the perfect compromise for both groups. Non smokers can't complain as the cabins are non smoking like they wanted, smokers can't complain because they have all the balconys/suites to book! I guess all the large families and groups that book will probably share balconys with those who couldn't afford one or found they were already booked. I'm guessing those balconys are going to be a little bit more crowded now with smoking friends but like you said they will be a great place to meet nice people! ;)

as I listen to those who have drenched themselves in the worst smelling perfume complain about my cigarette smoke.

Ever think that some of the people wearing too much perfume are smokers trying to cover up that nasty smell in their clothes?

America is free more than ever now that non-smokers are more free of second hand smoke-

Jake, you always go to this point. Out of curiosity, how is it "more free" when you have taken away the right of a bar owner to run her/his bar as s/he wants to run it?

Sure, you have a right to walk into a place that is non smoking but you should also have the smarts to read a sign that says non smoking or smoking and make a choice.

I know I will never go into every bar across these United States so why should I inflict my preference on every bar across the country. Many non smokers are doing it simply because they have the power to do so. You think you are creating a safer place when in fact you are causing some (no matter what the number) businesses to close. Deny it all you want but that is true.

Please folks, understand I am talking about stand alone bars, not your Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc type of places.

Many people wanted non smoking rooms. RCI gave that to you. Are you satisfied? Nope. Now the complaints are they have not gone far enough. You don't know how to take small steps and be grateful, the greed instantly comes out for more.

Personally, I wish RCI had made their new line smoker friendly ships. They are small, as is the population of smokers and I don't think they would have had any trouble filling them with pax or crew. They also have multiple ships at some ports; make one smoking and one non. Revenue would determine whether that solution would work.

Since RCI didn't ask me what to do :D , I'll live with what they have done. Just as smokers have the right to change lines or accept RCI's new rules, non smokers have the right to accept it or go to lines that have a policy that is more acceptable to them.

I, for one, do not believe there will ever be a non smoking world and if there is, it will be long after you and I exit this world. :D

Happy cruising to all!

I found this article

Smoking is to be banned on boats and ships in British waters, the Government said.

Douglas Alexander, the Transport Secretary, said that he plans to extend the ban on smoking in public places to the nation’s waterways.

In a written statement to MPs, Mr Alexander said: “I now intend to introduce similar provisions to provide protection from secondhand smoke for people on vessels operating in UK waters, at sea and on inland waterways.”

Sailors and passengers will still be allowed to smoke in their cabins. Mr Alexander said that the ban would be enforced by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. Flouting it would carry similar penalties to those for smoking on dry land.

About time !!

jj......

Most cruise line operate this policy anyway, they all have restricted areas for smoking/ not smoking.

On the Navigator they only had 1 bar that wasn't non-smoking - the sooner its brought in the better.

it would be easy enough for them to implement no smoking policies for the brief periods of time they are in UK waters.

Brief periods - what about the British Isles cruise with RCCL ?

jj.....

Archived