Sunscreen 101

I need to pick a sunscreen for my upcoming cruise but I really don’t know how. I know that I’m supposed to use sunscreen when I go outside but I never do. For my first cruise I left my sunscreen on the ship and didn’t realize it until I was already on Coco Cay. I let my ignorance talk me out of buying some on the island. For some reason I thought black people don’t burn and I wouldn’t have a problem. BIG MISTAKE! I turned a shade of coal that I’ve never quite seen on another human being. So with all that being said I need Sunscreen 101.

• I’m looking for something I can use on my entire family.
  • I also want something I can put on my face so I can try and avoid that horrible peeling thing.
  • I don't know what that whole SPF thing means but I need something that won't let me get any darker than what I am now.

Any recommendations will be very helpful :)

ANY brand of sunscreen works. The only thing that really is different is the texture of the lotion and the scents (and the COST!)

For your face, buy a "faces only" lotion -- Coppertone and other national brands make them. The "faces only" lotions are lighter textured and less greasy.

As for SPF....higher number = more protection. Use at least an SPF of 25 if you do not want much additional color....45 or higher is even better. Reapply after an hour or two in the sun, or after going in the water. Use at LEAST an ounce of lotion for every application (more if you are a larger person)

SPF helps you calculate the amount of time it would take you to burn sitting in the sun with that sunscreen on. So if without sunscreen it would take you 10 minutes to burn (that's me :P), then SPF 20 means that I can stay out 20 times longer without burning, technically. However, the stuff does wash off/sweat off, so I never find that I get that much life out of it. I go with the heavy duty stuff (45 or higher) and reapply during the day if I am out.

Ditto on the spray on stuff - easy to use, and it feels really good going on. It also allows you to get harder to reach places, like your scalp (yep - that can burn) and your own back.

I like Neutrogena spray on - it's cool going on, just has a really light/non-medicinal smell and it hardly feels like anything. And it blocks both UVA and UVB (UVA is what causes melanoma). Plus I figure that they are the face soap/moisturizer people, so they probably know skin better than just about anyone.

Hope that helps - I seem to be kind of chatty today. :)

Wow, sorry you had a bad case of sunburn last time!

First, SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. I'm sure there is a long technical answer someone can find, but bottom line, the higher the number the better the protection.

If your children a quite young, you may want to pick up one that is formulated for babies, etc. Either way, wherever you shop (Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Target....) will have a bazillion from which to choose.

For your faces you may want to buy a product that is applied more like a solid than a cream. I looks like a chapstick container with a twist bottom, only bigger. There are several bands that have these containers marked "for faces" or something similar. It tends to stay on better for me.

Also, and I have the opposite problem...flaming white skin, but I'm very lazy about applying. But, recently I have been buying one of the brands like Coppertone that has a spray on for your body. Not like an aresol, more like a mist. I find that I'm more likely to take a moment to apply (and later reapply) if I don't have to remove my rings and get all gooey rubbing my whole bod down. It has even gotten my hubby to spray himself before mowing! That was a big thing. The only down side would be that they run out faster than a similar size cream style. Just buy 2 of them and you will be prepared.

I would not every buy anything less than an SPF 30, that is just me.

Try not to make this task harder on yourself than it needs to be.

a) Buy a couple of products and don't forget to take them.

b) Use them!

c) Reapply every hour or so, depends how much splashing around you've done.

You will be fine:D ...just remember to bring them with you.

We use Coppertone Sport with the 50SPF in the spray can. We went through 8 cans on the Mariner in June:p I do use a Neutragena face sunscreen on my face though. If you have sensitive skin, I would be careful of the No Ad brand. Found out both m son and I are allergic to that the hard way. If you do use the spray type, make sure you put it on before you go out if it is breezy.

Nuetrogena Dry Touch (oil free) SPF 45 for the face, nose and EARS (what people tend to forget). Coppertone oil free SPF 30 for the body. Both are waterproof/sweatproof so they won't wash off with normal swimming and sweating (if applied correctly - see below).

Always apply 30 minutes before going outside. The reason being, is that if you don't, and instead apply it in the hot sun or go swimming right away you just sweat or wash most of it off.

According to my dermatologist sun screen should be applied every 2 hours of sun exposure. If you don't after about 4 hours you will be burned, I speak from experience. Now I am a white guy, so I burn a bit easier, but I was really red after about 4 hours.

SPF - Sun Protection Factor. I have been told... SPF 30 - every 30 minutes of sun exposure equates to 1 minute without sun screen, SPF 45 - every 45 minutes of sun exposure equates to 1 minute without sun screen, etc.

PS - The photos of Kevin in his life jacket cracked me up!!! I'm sure he felt much safer with it on! :)

First let me say THANK YOU to everyone for these great suggestions!

You would think he complained the whole time with that thing around his neck. He was SO happy to wear it, in fact I had to make him take it off. I was the one complaining the entire time. I would worry if we did have a really emergency though. I would make him take it off and use his body as the flotation device.

I am allergic to the sun, and I have a LOT of experience with sunscreen.

The thing that works best for me is Coppertone Sport SPF 50. USE THE LOTION, NOT THE SPRAY!!!

The spray is great for re-applications after you have been in the water or sweating, but for the initial layer of coverage, you have to use the lotion. The spray just puts a very light coat on you, and you will miss spots on your body. Apply the lotion at least half an hour before going outside, this gives it time to soak in. Re-apply everytime you get out of the water, even if it has only been 15 minutes. Again, the spray is fine to re-apply with, but when I used it for the intial application, I had a severe reaction (luckily I was at home when it happened)

I am sure there are other brands that work well, but this method has worked for several years for me.:)

I like to use the Clinique City Block SPF 40 for my face. It's also available in SPF 25. It's more expensive at $16.50 than store bought brands, but because my face is very sensitive and prone to breakouts I wanted to use something that was oil free and for sensitive skin. A little goes a long way and you can wear it alone or under makeup. It's not greasy at all and when you apply the sunscreen, it absorbs fast into your skin so you don't have to wait to apply makeup. I never used to wear sunscreen on my face until someone told me I should still start while I'm young. Now I swear by the stuff. By the way, both men and women can use this sunscreen, it's not just for the ladies!:)

For the rest of the body, we use the waterproof/sweat proof Coppertone in the spray can. My husband likes that one the best because it's quick and easy to apply. We get the highest SPF we can find. Just make sure you cover yourself well and don't miss any spots. I like to rub it in after I spray too to make sure I covered everywhere.

Archived