Bringing Alcohol on Board

oceantraveler

I had seen that link on the HAL website and looked at it. It shows wine, but no other alcohol. On other lines I have been given (high end suite) or purchased bottles of vodka, tequila, etc. to have in my cabin. I have sent an email to HAL to find out if this is an option.

Go to the "For Booked Guests" section of the website, and the "Order Onboard Gifts" section in particular. You'll find "Spirits & Liquors" (but be prepared for some sticker shock!).

It shows wine, but no other alcohol.

Go to the "For Booked Guests" section of the website, and the "Order Onboard Gifts" section in particular. You'll find "Spirits & Liquors" (but be prepared for some sticker shock!).

See my post #25 (this thread) for price ranges.

I'm not sure if policies have changed since last week, but I can assure you that I have brought on many bottles of booze on board to consume in my cabin over the past 20 years on Holland America. Their official policy is no, no no, but they look the other way. I stress that this is for consumption in the cabin and not in the public areas which, besides being gauche, cuts into the massive revenues they generate from Alcohol.

I take groups, both large and small, aboard with me. I have stopped using the RCCL family of cruise lines because of their X-Ray/confiscate policies. I think this is an intrusion, and has hurt their business more than they know. Next year I plan to take 100+ passengers aboard Rotterdam to Europe and two other large groups aboard one of the Alaska ships (haven't decided which).

I was on Noordam last week, and had no trouble with my Tanqueray. Yes, if you bring wine to dinner expect to be hit with the corkage of $15, which is a fair price to pay.

Bulabula

Folks can rationalize away any specific actions they take in their own personal interest, but what I believe is that rationalization doesn't really reclassify those actions as anything other than transgressions. JMHO. AFAIC, comply with the dress code; comply with the alcohol policy; in general, don't exclude yourself from the obligations that you implicitly agree to by booking passage, but rather voluntarily live up to those obligations. icon14.gif

It is often impractical to apply rules by universal enforcement. Instead, the expectation is that patrons will voluntarily comply, i.e., the honor system. This system generally works; on the highways, in grocery stores, in school, at work, etc. The system only breaks down when there is an environment wherein otherwise reasonable patrons seek to exploit the honor system, often motivated by personal financial interest.

Zuiderdam inside passage last year and I bought a 12pack of Alaskan Amber on board at each port. Noone said a word, and it went right through the detectors. I was very transparent about it, no bags concealing it or anything.

Here's the bottom line as far as bringing alcohol on board HAL: Just like the dreaded dress code, enforcing it is hit and miss! I've seen security officers confiscate bottles of booze (including beer) and hand out claim tickets at embarkation and upon coming back onboard at ports of call and I've seen S/O's wave pax and their booze on before you can say "whazzup".

If you want to bring booze onboard in your carry-on's, take your chances. Maybe you'll luck out and get to consume it, then again, maybe you won't see it again until the last night aboard that dam ship.

If you bring your own hard-liquor to your cabin, does your cabin steward "police" it and take it away especially if it is a brand that is not sold by HAL?

If you put it away he won't be in a position where he has to make an ethical decision on the matter.

Uh Oh John! ( used to be)? Does that mean he is in Doggy Heaven? sorry. If not I hope he gets lots of treats!

Yeah, had to have him (Wodan) put down:( Hip problems, common in German shepherds, especially in working dogs. They do a lot of tough work and it takes its toll. Great partner, best one I've ever had!

Sorry to go OT!

Last December on the Veendam - we received a free bottle of some

sport of local rum (which we don't drink). We carried it on board with us totally oblivious to the rule. We still have it at home unconsumed.

Anyone want it?

Archived