I need some advice on Tahiti Hotels

etmanch

I am staying in Tahiti 2 nights prior to getting on board the PG for our 7 day cruise in April and I am trying to nail down some hotels.

Originally I thought I would book hotels through Regent since we have booked Regent Air however my TA can get better prices on hotels if she books them herself. I thought Regent would have better pricing?

I need some advice on hotels. Any thoughts on either the Radisson OR Sofetli? One is close to the airport and one is futher out. Radisson comes in about $138.00 more expensive for 2 nights but I think it is rated a bit higher then the other hotel. Also do we board the PG? Is the port close to the downtown area? Just trying to figure out what it will cost us for cabs. I would assume since I have Regent Air booked they would transfer us to the ship even if we don't book our hotel with them so we would just need cab from the airport to the hotel?

Just caught a cab from the Radisson to Faaa on Saturday.

It was 3100 CFP - @ $39 US at 83/$1

The cost from the pier to Faaa was 1700.

The cokes in the mini bar were 800 CFP. Heard someone complaining about their $40 hamburger.

The room was really pretty, the black sand was soft and fine, but the distance from town would be a turnoff for me.

Also would be leery of the Sofitel if the strike is still going on.

I might be wrong, but I believe if you book your own hotel pre-cruise, you will be deviating and thus will not have your transfer included. So in your calculations, remember that, plus add the deviation fee of $100 pp. Hotels age fast in FP--I believe the Sofitel used to be considered kind of run-down, but I think maybe it's been renovated. It's certainly close. If it's a better deal, I'd say take it. I like the Radisson myself, it's quite new, and I will probably stay there again next year. But it is definitely isolated.

Wendy you are right!

I was just thinking about that as I was getting ready for my work day. I would get hit with $100.00 US per person if we deviate so now I am thinking we are better off with booking the Radisson so that we can have our transfer to the hotel and then to the ship included. Do know if Regent includes any meals with their hotel packages?

Also for getting in to town to see the Market on the Friday does the Radisson have a shuttle service or does any one know the cost of a cab in to town? Sorry if I am repeating questions already asked in this forum :)

Only 9 months left before we get to leave. I hope time flies :D

I have just returned from the 11 day cruise through the society islands and rangirora. I would STRONGLY recommend you book through regent. This is something we did not do and regreted it from the start. My wife and I stayed at the sofitel and I would not recommend it. It was close to the airport but the room was small, beds were uncomfortable and the beach at certain times of the year is not safe to swim on due to release of certain strains of coral which can cause a significant dermatitis ( called sea bathers eruption for other dermatologists out there). If you book through regent they will include a day room at the Radisson which is a VERY nice hotel with a nice black sand beach. We dropped our day room after the cruise at the sofitel and stayed with friends we met on the cruise in their day room at the Radisson and had a blast. Other perks to booking with regent include their being responsible for you prior to leaving for the cruise. There were several people (booked through regent) that were late getting in and the PG stayed late in port for them to arrive before leaving. This is not something they will do for independant travel according to the ships captain unless you are booked through regent. This may not be your situation since you are leaving early but still a perk. The intercontinental and Radisson are both better options than sofitel in our opinion if your booking on your own. Regent also includes transfers which will save you approximately $100 in cabs if you include getting to the hotel from airport, getting to the ship from the hotel, getting to the hotel dayroom after the cruise and back to the airport that night. It adds up. Hope this helps.

Hi Zitdoc,

Thanks for your input on the hotel. I have booked the Radisson. After hearing your comments on the Sofitel I am sure glad I did not try to save a few bucks as I am sure after a long flight I will need a comfy bed to lay my head down :)

We are doing our own air since we had miles to book the tickets, but our TA arranged our pre and post-cruise hotels through Regent (2 nights at the Intercontinental pre-cruise and Raddison day room post-cruise before evening flight). To my and our TA's surprise, the prices through Regent were better than what we could find on our own for the particular times we needed. And, the nice thing is that all our transfers to and from the airport and the ship are included - we just have to supply our flight information prior to our trip.

Going through Regent was great. Splurge and try to go to the InterContinental. I've been to all 3 now - InterContinental, Sofitel (was called Maeva Beach), and now the day room deal at Radisson. You can get a package that includes breakfast at the IC. They have a great view of Moorea there, the rooms are nice (beds are hard!), and the swimming in their pools, lagoon, and the ocean are all very good. You'll end up paying a bit for dinner, but that is about the only downside. Food is also expensive at Radisson. Use Le Truck to get into town if you just want to look around. I actually loved wondering around Papeete. Transfers arranged through Regent all went without a hitch.

The Regent package usually includes breakfast. I believe the Radisson has a free shuttle into Papeete during the day, it doesn't work if you want to have dinner in town. Their food and drink prices were very high, as is most of Tahiti, but there was a 2 for 1 happy hour in the bar when we were there 2 years ago. The bar (outdoors and upstairs) had a great view of the sun setting behind Moorea. I have not been to any other hotels, but the Radisson has an absolutely gorgeous, large horizon pool.

They still have the 2 for 1 special at the Raddison as of last week. You are spot on regarding prices for food. My wife and I ordered an appetizer off the tapas menu at the radisson. It was chips and Guacamole for $13. When it came out they were doritos and it averaged $1 per chip. I just had to laugh.

There's a very pleasant restaurant at the Royal Tahitien hotel, which is fairly close the Radisson, towards town. It's open-air, on the water, food is (or was) great, lots of locals. Expensive as usual, but better value that the Rad. (We stayed there once pre-cruise, quite adequate BTW.)

Thanks everyone for your comments regarding the Radisson. I know I made the right decision after hearing the quote from someone on this board that they paid $290.00 for the day room at the Radisson post cruise. :eek: As Zitdoc says all the little things start to add up and where you think you have saved by booking on your own perhaps in the end you didn't.

Archived