Open 2008

tobes

My son and I would love to attend the British Open next year. Hotels in Southport are all being held by tour operators who will sell packages. Could someone tell me the next best town to stay in for easy access to Southport? Any suggestions on how to plan this trip will be welcomed. We would like to combine it with a visit to Liverpool and Manchester since my son is very much into music. Thanks, Judy:)

Hi There,

First thing I would say is book as soon as possible as everything gets block booked and prices just get silly, traffic can be a bit of a problem so you have a trade off between being close but costing a bit of traveling and having a cheaper room,

Have not been to the open for a few years used to live in St Andrews, but apart from the golf, the tented village is also worth seeing as there is so much for sale.

have a great trip

yours Shogun

The 2008 Open is being held at Royal Birkdale which is on a direct rail line between Liverpool and Southport

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/liverpool.pdf

You could stay at any of the small towns in between but I would suggest your best option would be to stay in Liverpool itself. You would then have a quick and painless journey to the course by train avoiding all the problems associated with travelling there by car.

Hope you enjoy your visit :o

Archived