Aft or Mini ?????

flgray

Am hoping someone who knows, can help us make a decision. We need to choose between an Aft cabin, and a Mini Suite on the Crown. Have read about "the noise" by the Aft cabins, and was wondering how bad it really is. We would love it if anyone has any pics of Baja Aft, or Emerald Mini's. We think we have narrowed it down to........ Bigger Cabin vs Bigger Balcony. Any information would be great!!!! Thanks...............

We like both! We are staying this time in a Dolphin mini as it has a slightly larger balcony and definitely more room in the cabin plus a larger bath area. If you are booking way in advance, you might try to get a mini on the very end of either Emerald deck or Dolphin as both of those balconies are extended. Alos, Emerald mini's are covered and Dolphins are not and get full sun. Have fun deciding.

Am hoping someone who knows, can help us make a decision. We need to choose between an Aft cabin, and a Mini Suite on the Crown. Have read about "the noise" by the Aft cabins, and was wondering how bad it really is. We would love it if anyone has any pics of Baja Aft, or Emerald Mini's. We think we have narrowed it down to........ Bigger Cabin vs Bigger Balcony. Any information would be great!!!! Thanks...............

One vote here for the Emerald Mini. We had one on the Caribbean Princess (same layout) and loved it. My sister just had one on the same ship and also loved it. Just check out the deck plans and make sure your cabin is not directly over Club Fusion stage below. Cabins on the other side (723, 725, 727 and 729) will be quiet and peaceful. You will have a full size tub instead of just a shower, and a sitting room with two TVs. Also, very little traffic past your door. A quick zip up to the Horizon Court and pools. Good place to be!!

Karen

I just went through this same decision...ultimately booking a mini suite (D528). Check the Baja aft staterooms carefully, some of them have a beam going through the balcony. (And reservations doesn't seem to have a clue about this obstruction). This is our first Princess cruise and I hope I've selected a good location on the Crown.

Here are photos of E731 on the CB which I believe has the same lay out on the crown. D730, D731, E730, E731 shoudl all be the same but please get confirmation from someone who has sailed on the Crown. These rooms are mini suites, have an extended balcony and have a side and aft view. The best of both IMO.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559184216mMxiEP

Thanks to all of you !!!!!!! Sounds like the mini might be a better choice. The Aft cabin is not one with the obstructed view. Would not take that cabin anyway. Will have to see exactly which mini's are available, before making a choice.

Thanks, Whimsy for the pics!!!! That looks like a terrific cabin, just what we would want!!!!

Unless you really enjoy the views of the wake, the mini would always be my choice. Not sure why some think a few extra square feet of balcony space is so important that they would give up the extra space and luxury of a mini suite cabin, but there are many. I look at it as if the balcony is big enough for us to enjoy, then we sure don't need a lot of extra space out there. I would much rather have extra space, a bath tub with larger bathroom area and sitting area inside the cabin, then give that up for a larger balcony. IMHO of coarse. I always wonder what those do with the larger balcony if it rains, or the weather isn't perfect? Kind of makes the larger cabin a bit more inviting for us.

We were in a Baja aft cabin recently on Caribbean Princess. I forget the number, but it was one of the ones on the corner (port side) with no obstruction.

The noise is really not very noticeable, but there is a definite vibration when docking (usually early a.m.) if you are a light sleeper. There is also more movement -- we usually have had a location more in the mid-ship area, and could definitely tell the difference. However, the aft balcony was relatively large (deep and roomy) and covered, and I enjoyed it very much.

We have just booked a cruise on CB for next May and are going to try an Emerald mini-suite. Looking forward to seeing what the differences are.

Different people have different tastes, of course.

We prefer a larger balcony when cruising in the Caribbean so we can get a lounger on it. Caribe balcony is perfect if it does shower as it is, 1/2 and 1/2. A lot of people don't like the minis because of the full sun are there are not that many covered mini's on the Emerald deck,6 total I believe.

On the other hand, the larger bathroom and the extra space is nice too.

To end our dilemma, we booked the last mini on the Dolphin deck that has the interior space and the extended balcony:D

It seems like this is a "personal choice" kind of thing. Everyone's opinions make alot of sense!!!!

This is our situation........ We are booked in an Aft Cabin. We are # 1 on the waitlist for a mini suite. [ So they say]. Has anyone been waitlisted, and actually got to switch cabins??? How did that work??

We would have preferred a mini, since our cruise is 14 days, we figured the larger cabin would be better. But.......if we end up in the Aft, we will probably survive!!!!!! After all, we will at least be on a ship!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
It seems like this is a "personal choice" kind of thing. Everyone's opinions make alot of sense!!!!

This is our situation........ We are booked in an Aft Cabin. We are # 1 on the waitlist for a mini suite. [ So they say]. Has anyone been waitlisted, and actually got to switch cabins??? How did that work??

We would have preferred a mini, since our cruise is 14 days, we figured the larger cabin would be better. But.......if we end up in the Aft, we will probably survive!!!!!! After all, we will at least be on a ship!!!!!

Curious .. what aft cabin are you in? There is some confusion about this. Is it aft or actually in the stern? I'm not fond of aft cabins but I do love the stern cabins with the view of the wake. I prefer the stern to the aft mini suite.

We are in B 757, an Aft Cabin. We were trying to decide between that and a mini suite on Emerald deck. We have read alot of comments about Aft Cabins, and wanted info so as to make a choice!!! Never having been in one, we wanted the pros and cons!!!

We're about to cruise the Crown in the second mini suite we've ever had. We like the mini for the extra space on those 9/ 10 day voyages and of course that bigger bathroom.

We had a Riviera balcony cabin for 10 days on the Dawn and a Baja balcony on the Grand for 7 days.

However, on our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise this March we're trying a BB...one of those C 7xx cabins at the back of the ship. I've just gotta try it once as so many CCers have raved about these...don't really care about any "anchor noise" since my DH gets my butt out of bed early on a cruise anyway.

We'll see if the thrills of C7xx are true.

Archived