parking in NY

DaveC426913

I'm driving down to New York. Where shall I park my car for 6 days?

This is my first ever cruise, so I'll have lots of questions.

If you are referring to the Manhattan cruise terminal, there is a parking deck next to the terminal. I believe the cost is $24/day for cruises less than 8 days.

You can also experiment with staying in Jersey and parking there, but the NY terminal parking is most convenient.

It is a lot of $ compared to what you pay at most airports "satellite" parking lots, but on par with what you would pay for airport terminal parking, or whatever else you might find in New York. Remember, you are in Manhattan.

You can also park in New Jersey at one of the NJ Transit train stations. Add to that the cost of the train (minimal) and the taxis between the train station and the cruise terminal. Also consider that you will be carrying your luggage from the car to the train, in the train, and from the train to the cab at the train station.

Scott's suggestion is also good, but there will not be a huge difference in cost. Just drop off your luggage at the port and go park somewhere else. If you can't find anything worthwhile, you can always come back to the terminal and park there.

Highly doubtful that you will find a spot on the street in Manhattan...and if you do, it is either a meter, a no standing/stopping zone or alternate side of the street parking. Any garage will cost you at least $30 per day...maybe they have a weekly rate that would probably come to the same as the cruise ship terminal parking.

OK thanks. I'm not about to leave my car on a sidestreet for six straight days. For piece of mind, which is what I'm looking for, I'll park it at the terminal.

Even if you wanted to, you wouldn't be able to.....not in NYC thats for sure.

Depending on where you're coming from..... I live north of NYC near Poughkeepsie. Since you're driving DOWN to NY, you might be passing this way. I take the train from Poughkeepsie, either Amtrak or Metro-North, park in the lot there for $4-$5 a day plus train fare/cab fare. Or I take Trailways from New Paltz for lower fare. So many options. Plus, NYC traffic, and the nightmare of having to drive after coming off a relaxing cruise.... Think about NOT parking in NYC and taking a more relaxing, convenient and less expensive option

Park at the cruise terminal. That's what I did in June and it is the best option. Even if you could save a few dollars parking elsewhere it's not worth the hassle. We drove up to the front of the terminal, we unloaded the luggage with the help of a porter which took all of 5 or 10 minutes. The family went into the terminal, I drove up the ramp, parked the car, took the escalator down to the main terminal where my family was waiting and off we went. The whole process from arrival took about 20 minutes. Certainly worth a few extra dollars compared to parking elsewhere and then having to make your way back to the terminal. It's also better when you return; just go get your car, drive down the ramp to the front of the terminal and load up the luggage. It's all simple, convenient, quick and worth a few extra dollars.

Park on the cruise terminal parking lot . Is 24 bucks a day but your car is right there and is secure. Every ship has its own parking area. When the ship leaves ,they lock the parking for that ship and only open when the ship returns. You see you car from the top decks when you leave and when you return . If you don't know if you locked up you can always use your remote from inside the ship and make sure is locked . Don't mess around in NY. Just park on the Cruise Terminal Parking Lot.

This is my first ever cruise, so I'll have lots of questions.

If you park your car in Manhattan, you will double the cost of your cruise.

I'd park it in New Jersey, or even in one of the outer boroughs and take a cab to the pier, or public transportation.

Or, there are plenty of spots in front of these funny looking black stumps with silver heads. I think they are some kind of phallic worship symbols from the Canaanite period, because they are always left undisturbed.

You could park it there for six days, and when you come back you'll find your car at the police impound, all safe and sound. It probably costs the same amount at the impound as it would to park in some lot somewhere, and this way NO ONE IS GOING TO STEAL IT!!!

If you don't bring your car into Manhattan, and write to Mayor Bloomberg, he might nominate you for one of those Medal of Freedom awards.

BnB

I've always thought of cruising out of NY but have always was concerned about the parking and thought it would be a nightmare. I was in NY this weekend, while looking for the Westside Highway, I was literally in front of the cruise terminal and there parked in front of me was the Carnival Miracle :eek: . I do believe I was at 53rd Street West and 11th Avenue. As I sat at the redlight, I couldn't believe how convenient :o the parking was at the pier. Ditto as others have said, you can't get it any easier. Oh by the way, this was approximately 1:30 - 2:00 (Sunday afternoo) and there was absolutely no traffic.

Will be planning my next cruise out of NY shortly.

I've always thought of cruising out of NY but have always was concerned about the parking and thought it would be a nightmare. I was in NY this weekend, while looking for the Westside Highway, I was literally in front of the cruise terminal and there parked in front of me was the Carnival Miracle :eek: . I do believe I was at 53rd Street West and 11th Avenue. As I sat at the redlight, I couldn't believe how convenient :o the parking was at the pier. Ditto as others have said, you can't get it any easier. Oh by the way, this was approximately 1:30 - 2:00 (Sunday afternoo) and there was absolutely no traffic.

Will be planning my next cruise out of NY shortly.

You can't go by the traffic on a Sunday. Try coming during the week and you will see it is a nightmare. Fridays are the worst.

Being a native NYer who has experience with our traffic....just park in the garage next to the pier and make the start of your vacation easier. :D

We have taken the Victory out of NYC twice. Once, a relative took us so we did dnot have to pay for parking. This year, more of us went, so we didn't have room for an extra driver. Last year we got to the pier around 2:00, and there were three ships in port. The NYC traffic was not bad at all, but there was a long line of cars waiting to get up the ramp into the terminal. This year, we got to the termial a little before noon, and all was clear. Absolutely no problems, and we did park on the pier for $24 a day. Leaving the ship both times was a breeze. I think it was around 10:00am both times, and traffic was very light. If you want directions from the Lincoln Tunnel, let me know. It is really easy!

You can't go by the traffic on a Sunday. Try coming during the week and you will see it is a nightmare. Fridays are the worst.

Being a native NYer who has experience with our traffic....just park in the garage next to the pier and make the start of your vacation easier. :D

I too am a NativeNYer (Queens) and I was totally surprised at the lack of traffic on a Sunday. So if you sail out on Sunday, it will be a breeze!

near jfk....don't really want to say exactly since we are on a public message board. How about you?

I grew up within bike riding distance (at least as a kid), to LGA and Shea Stadium. Astoria Blvd was a straight shot to my house. :o

Archived