what did you like best about the volendam?

jcike1980

The Volendam is a great ship, she's well appointed, her color scheme is very nice and I find it soothing. You never feel crowded, and when I sailed her, we were sailing at just about capacity, still plenty of room for everyone.

Her crew is outstanding, we just thought she was spectacular, hope you find her to be the same.

That's an excellent question, and a difficult one to answer. I'll give you my top three, if that's ok: Ship Layout, Color Scheme, and superb staff.

The Volendam/Zaandam/Amsterdam/Rotterdam all have excellent deck layouts. Based upon the Statendam deckplan, HAL added a central stair-case and elevator shaft to these ships which improved traffic flow all around the ship.

Colors ... this is difficult to quantify, but I found the ship soothing. The use of woods and various primary colors was lovely, tasteful, and comfortable.

I've been on 5 different HAL ships, several more than once, but only one ship 3 times: the Volendam. Among my reasons for choosing her was her staff and crew -- FANTASTIC. I never had a cabin steward who wasn't excellent, and my dining room stewards were equally good. The staff during my two cruises aboard on the Maasdam was good; the Statendam was superb too; but the Volendam has been my favorite ... three times, and the staff was excellent each time.

There is plenty of room on the ship for everyone. The 2nd level Frans Hais Lounge had the best seats for the shows The design of the ships lately are more the floating hotel feeling. This vessel still has a ship feel to it (IMHO).

we will be cruising the volendam on the 17th of october. would like to know what was your favorite thing you liked about the ship. jcike1980

heres to fair skies and calm seas!!!!!

Cruised 1 1/2 years ago on the Volendam and had a Deluxe Verandah Suite. Here's what I loved about the Volendam; CABIN, cabin stewart, the Captain, the employees, the passengers, the ports of call (10 day Southern Caribbean), the food, the service. This was my favorite cruise. This year went to another cruise line just to compare. Wasn't impressed and it didn't compare and now I want my HAL the next time.

Have a great time and if you have Sri as your cabin attendant, tell him Boni and Cindi said hi.

After sailing for a total of 84 days(two cruises) aboard the Volendam, I must agree with the other posters. She is a very comfortable ship, with diverse public areas so that one always has a choice as to where to spend some time. I would add to the other areas mentioned: a pleasant, quiet Library, a Lower Promenade Deck with wood deck chairs and padded cushions to allow one to read, nap, or contemplate the sea, the Crow's Nest--my favorite public room of them all, a well designed Lido Restaurant with plenty of seating, inside or outside, and a great bar overlooking the aft pool that makes wonderful Pina Coladas.

Be sure to check out all of the plaques that were given to the ship as a result of Maiden Arrivals at a particular port. Due to the ship's 2002 Asia Pacific cruise, she received many very interesting ones. These are located in the hallway, aft of the Marco Polo(Odyssey) Restaurant and Wajang Theater.

And, most importantly, the crew: among the best, most friendly afloat!

You will enjoy a wonderful cruise experience on "the beautiful and elegant Volendam", to quote one of the Cruise Directors.

Thanks to everyone for their remarks about the Volendam. We sail on her November 26, this year for 10 days in the Eastern Caribbean. This will be our 29th cruise in 40 some odd years. Only the 5th on HAL, after the old Westerdam, the Noordam, The Maasdam and the Oosterdam. We are really looking forward to being on the Volendam.

I too, will be cruising for the first time on the Volendam next March. We have heard so many great things about her, we can't wait.

I have a question, what is the color scheme? I've heard it is very soothing and relaxing, I'm trying to get a visual. I seem to remember the Statendam as being more earth tones, so I'm trying to picture the Volendam...

Hi ekerr19,

The design theme on the ship is flowers. I remember a Hostess on the Zaandam when she first went into service saying that she thought that the Volendam's colors were somewhat darker than the Zaandam. Having been on both ships, I don't know that I would agree. I did not see a great deal of difference, myself. But, I am no design/art expert, either.

I would describe her interior design/colors as being elegant and not something that one would get "tired of" in a hurry.

I hope you will like her as much as I do.

Just had my very first cruise, and it was on the Volendam. To everyone's comment I say Yes, yes, yes! Superb, wonderful, elegant, etc. One specific thing we kept commenting on was how wonderful the decor was. I wouldn't know how to classify it, sometimes it seemed classic, sometimes art nouveau, eclectic, call it what you will, but we noticed that everywhere you looked, whether it was the ceiling, the walls, the furniture, it was always interesting. Wonderful and freshly innovative use of texture and design, a feast for the eyes at every glance. I feel so fortunate to have taken my first cruise on her.

we will be cruising the volendam on the 17th of october. would like to know what was your favorite thing you liked about the ship. jcike1980

heres to fair skies and calm seas!!!!!

The Volendam is a beautiful ship. The crew was one of the best we've seen. Edrick at the Lido pool was very attentive and a very nice young man.

Hi ekerr19,

The design theme on the ship is flowers. I remember a Hostess on the Zaandam when she first went into service saying that she thought that the Volendam's colors were somewhat darker than the Zaandam. Having been on both ships, I don't know that I would agree. I did not see a great deal of difference, myself. But, I am no design/art expert, either.

I would describe her interior design/colors as being elegant and not something that one would get "tired of" in a hurry.

I hope you will like her as much as I do.

rkacruiser-

Thanks! I'm sure we will love her. We are so excited.

Loved our Volendam mini-suite, Lido, aft pool, wraparound promenade deck. Oh wait, sounds like we're describing a typical HAL ship. We really did like the Volendam because with a mini-suite, you were treated as if you were in a suite. Also, loved the Lido. Going on the Zuiderdam in November and we're looking forward to the atrium bar, outside elevators, aft pool, Pinnacle Grill, Lido, disco, etc. Just can't wait to see how the Zuiderdam differs from the Volendam. Anybody want to do a comparison?

--R&K

She is a classic Holland America Line ship. Her theme is "Flowers", particulaly tulips.

She is elegant without being pretentious. She is elegant but invites you to sit and relax and enjoy without worrying about anything.

I've been on some very spectacular upscale ships. Several made me feel uncomfortable as they were too elegant and too proper. Volendam gives elegance and comfort at the same time.

You will love the ship and the crew. She may become your favorite as she is to so many on this board.

Have you seen the video about her? If not, ask your TA is she/he has a copy for you to watch.

Archived