Excursion in Skagway

Emptynesters38

Does anyone have any input regarding the White Pass Train and the Yukon 4X4 jeep adventure. Having taken the train down from Anchorage to Seward I was looking for something different to do when arriving in Skagway. We're on the Southbound Summit in Sept.

Thanks

The White Pass & Yukon Route train is very different than the Alaska Railroad you've been on. It's narrow guage, through and along extremely steep mountains, and you can see the 1897-98 "Trail of '98" beside you near the Summit. It's the top attraction in Alaska for good reason. I'm not at all impressed with the Jeep tour - 98% of it is highway travel in tightly-controlled convoys (I saw a group that had to be 20-25 Jeeps yesterday), and you "4x4" to a spot where locals take their regular cars, way below where the good stuff begins. There's lots of unique stuff to do, though - hiking (guided or unguided), rafting (in Haines), horseback rides, bus/van tours, sled dog tours, etc, etc...

Murray

I agree with Murray. We went horse back riding above Emerald Lake. It was awesome. The ride up to the ranch was picture perfect, including mountain goats, two bear, and we got to see the worlds smallest dessert in Carcross also. The stop near the border was interesting, including the monument that has peterified wood within it, and the numerous waterfalls and that neat little bridge that is only attached to one side of the mountain.....If you rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake and Carcross, you can stop and get some of those wonderful cinnamon buns too.

Archived