Reading recommendation

rjscott

I've just finished "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It is a humorous account of the author's travels through Australia. It is not a new book, having been published in 2000, but I enjoyed it immensely. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much prior to my trips to Australia, but still, I enjoyed reading about both the places I have been and those I hope to see in the future.

Jennie, thanks for your response. As I read it, I wondered what the Aussie people thought of the book. I thought his love of Australia and fascination with the country came through quite clearly. Right now, I'm reading an older one about his journey across small town America, and so far, it's also a good read.

I've just finished "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It is a humorous account of the author's travels through Australia. It is not a new book, having been published in 2000, but I enjoyed it immensely.
I also enjoyed it very much - Bill Bryson has a way of writing that entertains me enormously, even in the bits which I know have been subject to some artistic licence.

Note for UK readers: This book is entitled Down Under in the UK (and possibly in other markets too).

I'm wondering if there are other recommendations for books (fiction and non-fiction) about Australia and New Zealand that others might suggest as good background for visitors. Also movies - for instance, I always recommend renting Whalerider for those going to NZ for the first time.

Here are some films that have been made over the past decade or so and show our way of life down here They are in no particular order, some are full of humour whilst others are dramas.

Muriel's Wedding

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

The Castle

Strictly Ballroom

Lantana

Kenny

Little Fish

The Man from Snowy River

Candy

The Dish

Look Both Ways.

I could also mention oldie's like Crocodile Dundee, Gallipoli,the Max Max films and many more but here is a start.

Jennie

With regards to novels there are so many depicting our way of life, our history etc.

Here are a few: The Secret River by Kate Grenville, Eucalyptus by Murray Ball, Oyster by Jane Turner Hospital, The Snake Cradle by Roberta Sykes, any books written by Peter Carey, Thomas Kennelly and Tim Winton are all good reads.

Jennie

Archived