Name an actual restaurant that you frequent that has two dinner seating's an evening.

If we have to explain then ya just don't get it. Surprising come from a Canadian though.....:confused:

It's all a matter of preference.... To each his own. No problem with those wanting "personal choice' freestyle just was pointing out differences.

CC

PS yes a mess hall is eating as is a college food hall but so is TGIF an Applebees etc. Just go in and eat and run under an hour. It's the American way........... rush rush rush. Not so in Italy, France, Spain. Dining is an event in of itself... oh my I'm explaining dining vs eating.....:eek:

Why would you think that because you dine when you want to, you race through your meal? Hell, when we cruise Princess Pesonal Choice with our friends we take soooo long to get through dinner we often close the place. It's nice that we don't have to clear out for another sitting.

Believe me, I get it.... do you? :D

Why would you think that because you dine when you want to, you race through your meal? Hell, when we cruise Princess Pesonal Choice with our friends we take soooo long to get through dinner we often close the place. It's nice that we don't have to clear out for another sitting.

No wonder the people who didn't make reservations have to wait around with a pager. :p

No wonder the people who didn't make reservations have to wait around with a pager. :p

Admittedly, we eat.... oops.... dine :D late. Usually between 8-9pm. I don't think we effect any one's plans. Besides, there are always those who do much as curiouscat says, scoff their chow down and head to the show.... there are enough tables to satisfy all

Admittedly, we eat.... oops.... dine :D late. Usually between 8-9pm. I don't think we effect any one's plans. Besides, there are always those who do much as curiouscat says, scoff their chow down and head to the show.... there are enough tables to satisfy all

:D That's cool. I'm really not one of those who feels threatened by the concept of anytime dining, but I would miss it, if they did away with the traditional. I did find the phrasing of your original question little odd, though. Really, who want a dining experience just like they can get at home? Not me.

Believe me, I get it.... do you? :D

If that's your idea of an ideal dining environment, I'd suggest you cruise Princess. I would if that were mine and important to me.

However, what's important to me is a set dining time where I know I don't have to call ahead or make arrangements, I can just show up every evening at the (one of two) time I chose and get good service by waiters who will get to know me, and my preferences.

As far as making it a 3rd option, I have no problem with that at all - as long as I'm not forced to choose it as an option, which is what I've heard has happened on Princess.

:D That's cool. I'm really not one of those who feels threatened by the concept of anytime dining, but I would miss it, if they did away with the traditional. I did find the phrasing of your original question little odd, though. Really, who want a dining experience just like they can get at home? Not me.

I guess I'm lucky enough to get a pretty nice dining experience on a fairly regular basis a short stroll away from my home. A few of the cruise ships we've sailed on (14 or 15 so far) have only matched the food and service we have come accustomed to.

The whole experience of the cruise is the thing for us, and the dining has never disappointed us (that said... Louis Cruises wasn't great, Princess was excellent.... NCL okay... etc)

I phrased my OP the way I did because there seems to be a few posters who are convinced it's far easier to prepare fine cuisine for "sittings" rather than on-demand. The fact is it's always hard to prepare excellent food, but it does happen under both systems.

BTW I like the idea that RCI seems to want to follow the Princess model and have both dining options.

Goodness, I stepped away for a couple of hours and this has turned into a surreal thread. I nominate it for Funniest Thread Ever :D :rolleyes: .

I hate to say it but it's "American Isolationism". My husband is from Russia and clearly noticed that(when he moved here 30 yrs ago) Americans are very isolationist. Garage door openers... gotta run into your house.Can't say hi to the neighbor... etc etc.

I'm not American and I don't live in the US, so that can't be the sole explanation for not wanting to be forced to socialize. Maybe I'm just antisocial :D . Maybe people have different likes and dislikes. My mother goes to the doctor and comes back with stories about the secretary, the nurse, the patients... she loves to talk to anyone within earshot. Me, I go to the doctor to be seen by the doctor, not to make friends with the secretary, nurse or other patients. Mind you, I'm very polite, good morning, please, thank you, hold the door for others... but I really don't want to talk to random people who just happen to be seated near me.

Hence the issue. I prefer trad dining because I just don't eat I dine. There is a difference. A dining room is for dining and freestyle is a restuarant for "eaters".

See, I have a different perception. If I can choose the time and who I will dine with, it's a dining experience. Having to eat at a set time with a table full of strangers, well, to me that's no different from your basic run of the mill banquet at a convention or meeting.

I prefer to "dine" on my own schedule. My life is scheduled enough when I not on vacation.

Amen!!

On Princess, did you call down earlier in the day to make reservations or did you simply show up? When we ate in the dining room, we called ahead for reservations and never had to wait. We were also given exactly the size table we asked for.

Sometimes we called ahead, sometimes we showed up. It was a New Year's cruise, sailing at capacity, so I really had no issue with having to wait for a table. Really doesn't bother me at all. We would sit at the nearest bar, have a drink and people watch :D .

I guess I'm lucky enough to get a pretty nice dining experience on a fairly regular basis a short stroll away from my home.

Exactly! I think that for people who are used to eati... I mean dining out regularly, a ship's dining room isn't such a big deal (at least not on one of the mass market lines -- maybe on the QM2 things are different, but I'll probably never find out :rolleyes:). If someone's dining out experiences are more limited, then I guess their perception of the DR will be different.

We can go on and on and on about this until we wear our fingers out from all the typing and each of us will still feel the same way. :D

I guess I'm lucky enough to get a pretty nice dining experience on a fairly regular basis a short stroll away from my home. A few of the cruise ships we've sailed on (14 or 15 so far) have only matched the food and service we have come accustomed to.

Oh, me too. But that's part of what I like about the traditional dining on a cruise. It's just a different kind of dining experience that I can't get at home. I can get as good or even better food at home, but it's a different social atmosphere on the cruise. I like it; others would rather keep to themselves. I'm all for everyone being able to have their preference.

Oh, me too. But that's part of what I like about the traditional dining on a cruise. It's just a different kind of dining experience that I can't get at home. I can get as good or even better food at home, but it's a different social atmosphere on the cruise. I like it; others would rather keep to themselves. I'm all for everyone being able to have their preference.

We agree 100%. Both always.... everyone's happy.:D

Please tell us why its so much better than all the other eateries near your home.

All the fuss about RCI adding an option to the dinner choice has made me really wonder if I am in the dark on this. :confused:

There are also few restaurants in one's hometown that will likely ask you to sit with strangers every night. For me, it's the getting to know you conversation at every meal (or the long wait for the very few tables for two) that makes me want fixed seating.

Archived