Name an actual restaurant that you frequent that has two dinner seating's an evening.

let me add that this 'restaurant' with 2 seatings would also seat you at any table of THEIR choosing (no window/next to band/table with little kids/etc) and will make you sit with these complete stangers for 2 hours.

i personally welcome the change.. i hate to eat with stangers, especially on my vacation. And kids! ugh.... Sure we're met great people, but i'd rather dine with my family anytime :)

We love eating with strangers. We always ask for a large table during breakfast and lunch.

During dinner, I really enjoy knowing that my table is ready for me and my waitstaff is waiting with all my favorite things already at the table. I don't want a different waiter each night. No personal touch there.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

This is one of those debates that will never be settled. I don't understand why I would want to sit with strangers. I don't go on cruises to make friends. DH and I enjoy being together, by ourselves :) . I don't care if waiters know my name or my preferences, and I certainly don't equate communal eating with elegance or sophistication. OTOH, those who prefer traditional seating will never understand why I don't enjoy those aspects of cruising.

On our first cruise (on Monarch back in prehistory when she was new) we had traditional dining at a large table and hated every minute on it. Back then (prehistory, remember? ;) ) we didn't know we could ask for a table for two. Next 2 cruises, asked for and got tables for 2 -- heaven! Next cruise, Princess, anytime dining, always got a table for 2 and yes, we had to wait sometimes for a table, but that's no different from going to a local restaurant. Last cruise, AOS, we never made it to the DR. Instead we ate at WJ every night (and Portofino both formal nights) and it was just perfect for us. We eat in restaurants all the time, so for us the DR service isn't a novelty. We were very happy with our arrangement.

Next cruise is a group thing (work related), so I'm sure we'll have to do traditional, but it's only 3 nights, we'll survive :D . The one after that is again on Princess and we have PC again.

Vive la difference! ;) :D :)

Sounds like it is a matter of preference. I have always loved the traditional dining experience because I have gotten to so many amazing people. It turned out our table last January was populated solely by Cruise Critics. (Hi, Aprille (and DH) and Judgeman and Judgelady.) Guess I look at my tablemates as friends I haven't gotten to know yet instead of strangers. I love cruising with my husband but gettting to know others just enhances my experience.

It's all a matter of personal preference. There's no right or wrong here.

Anytime dining sounded like a good idea until I tried it on Princess. We never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a table even a table for two. But we did always go as soon as seating began and I hear that does make a difference. One of the days we asked for a table for 2 the maitre de rolled his eyes at us. The whole meal we felt rushed. The waiters never smiled and never spoke to us except to get our order. One night we missed eating in the dining room because we were busy doing other things. If we had a scheduled time to eat we would have made sure we were there. The dining was one of my favorite things about my last RCCL cruise. We got to know our waiter so well and even took pictures with them on our last night. We forced them to sit at the table while we posed like we were serving them. It was great. We had so much fun. I sooo missed that while I was on Princess. Because my Princess booking was almost last minute by the time I made the reservation traditional dining was already full because they only have 1 dining room for traditional and 2 for anytime.

Besides our Country Clubs and perhaps private functions, we have a few restaurants in our town that take reservations for dinner seating's.

Let me tell you a story about our favorite beach eatery. In the past years, we have gone to the Fish House at Litchfield Beach, SC for a night out. No reservations! We have always had to wait to get a table, but the food was worth it. Then three years ago, the wait was extremely long, the service was too fast and poor, and the food wasn't nearly as good as it use to be (plus the prices went way up!) We decided to try other seafood places for the next year. Then last year, we heard that the Fish House was now taking reservations for dinner. We called and found out that we could have a time of 5:30,6:30,7:30, 8:30 or 9:30...depending on party size and availability. Well, let me tell you that the service and food has improved greatly and we have not had to wait for the last two years! We get a table for 10 at 7:30. Having a reservation is the way to go and it works for the proprietor of the restaurant, too! Also, we have learned to share meals as the portions are huge. This cuts down on expense. ;)

that is just not true.

when we cruise, we eat 90% of our breakfasts and lunches in the dining room, and we ALWAYS request AND get a table for two. We may have to wait, but the wait was never more than 5min.

Do you cruise during the high season when the ships are filled to capacity? Because we HAVE been denied every time we've requested the opportunity to sit by ourselves at breakfast and at lunch. We've been told that they have to fill up the larger tables, or that there is no wait team assigned to the smaller tables or any number of other excuses.

On Adventure, they tried to seat us with a very large party that was travling together, so we felt like outsiders. When we said that we weren't confortable with this arrangement and wanted to be seated at a smaller table, we were told that it was impossible. They actually let us to walk out instead of accomodating our request - this is appalling and inexcusable, and exactly what I invision happening if RCI goes to open seating at dinnertime.

So, YES, what I wrote is absolutely true and I stand by it 100%

Many times you call a restaurant and they have seating at only 6:30 or 8:30, no other choices. So, I think that many restaurants probably do have a 2-seating evening, they just don't tell you.

The thing that you have to remember is that the food on a cruise ship for dinner is pre-prepared, they estimate how many of X dinners vs Y and Z dinners they will need. After years of serving, they have the formula down pretty well. Your waiter doesn't go in and order your dinner from the kitchen, then they get it ready. They go in and tell how many plates of X Y Z they need and it is put onto a platter, an assembly line plated the food.

My point being that it would be totally confusing for the cruise ships to have the great service they do for the masses of people they serve without it being orchestrated. I've read so many complaints about NCL and Freestyle, Personal Choice on Princess. The only ships that seem to have a method that can work are the smaller ships, with less passengers to serve.

So, while I wish there was another choice to the set dining times, early is too early, late is too late, 7:30 would be perfect. I've come to the conclusion it is the best way to serve a huge amount of people in a timely fashion.

We've done Freestyle, it worked great for us because we opted to go to the specialty restaurants every night. The lines waiting for the main dining room was extreme.

"In my opinion, traditional seating is what sets cruises apart from other vacation venues. It provides a certain classy atmosphere aboard the entire ship, and that's what a lot of us don't want to be diluted if RCI goes with Personal Choice or Freestyle. We cruise specifically for this atmosphere and level of service across the board."

Took the words right outta my mouth.....Sailing dining is different than land dining... Period. You can't compare appples and oranges. If you like that type of dining there are plenty of AI resorts.

I like the traditional dining on a ship. It is nice and classy and adds a certain panache to cruising. And I'm in my 40's.

CuriousCat

PS I was told directly by the pres of RCL this would not happen. I am disappointed in that regard too.

TELL ME ONE PERSON WHO DOSE'NT HATE TO EAT WITH STRANGERS ? and for me i love to be around kids thats why i take them on any vacation i go on, and not just leave them with relatives and be selfish!!! MAY THE NEXT TABLE YOU RECIEVE HAVE LOTS OF SCREAMING FOR JOY KIDS,BECAUSE THEY ARE HAVING FUN.

Many of the friends we have made on our cruises were strangers to us when we boarded. Most cruisers are friendly people who enjoy sharing travel experiences with others who have similar instances. I have to wonder where this sudden anxiety about dining with "strangers" has come from. Until the last few years, all massmarket lines have only had traditional dining and sharing a table with "strangers" didn't seem to be much of a problem. If you are traveling with a group of friends or relatives, the cruise line will usually seat you together, and if there are just two of you, they will, if you request it and they can accommodate you, seat you at a table for two. Someone said that "strangers are just friends you have yet to meet". Perhaps adopting that philosophy will help you get over this inordinate fear or "hatred" of eating with strangers.:rolleyes:

I hate to say it but it's "American Isolationism". My husband is from Russia and clearly noticed that(when he moved here 30 yrs ago) Americans are very isolationist. Garage door openers... gotta run into your house.Can't say hi to the neighbor... etc etc.

It's more accepted in Europe and other cultures to eat with others.... Oh well. To me it's their loss. I'll continue to meet others and have the time of my life. Our table is always so much fun....:p

CuriousCat

Here we go once again. DW and I like the traditional dining but we usually dine at all the options on a ship.Chops, Windjammer,etc. It is the best way to get the know the crew.Those who will whine and push for change will usually be the one complaining next year how they had to stand in line or got poor service.Sometimes we need to learn to go with the flow and not DEMAND it to be our way.

Well, I wouldn't say that I frequent it ... I have had the pleasure of dining there just once, but The Inn at Little Washington serves just two dinner seatings:

http://www.theinnatlittlewashington.com/restaurant.asp

Here's a little article about the food they recently provided for Queen Elizabeth II:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/08/AR2007050800397.html

As for why it's better than everything else, words fail to describe how unbelievably good this food is.

There is one near us - I can't remember the name of it but it's named after a south American country. We didn't like it at all. We were rushed out so they could get to the next seating. We would never go back.

Hence the issue. I prefer trad dining because I just don't eat I dine.

There is a difference. A dining room is for dining and freestyle is a restuarant for "eaters".

CuriousCat

You've got to be kidding. So when I dine out you think I'm just eating... ? :eek:

Freestyle is for "eaters"? Sound like someone has an attitude problem. Relax. You can 'eat" traditional seating if you want.... :D I prefer to "dine" on my own schedule. My life is scheduled enough when I not on vacation. (is it okay that I call my cruises "vacations", or in your book am I only "taking time off" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

BTW Cows eat but I'm not a cow, and none of MY friends are. :mad:

There continues to be misunderstanding about the dining options on other cruise lines....

freestyle: choice of restaurants -sometimes as many as 9 or 11. You make a reservation in the morning and you get the time and the table you choose. If you have concierge service they do it for you...otherwise you do it yourself. If you don't make a reservation then you are on first come first serve basis and you may have to wait. We never got a beeper even once.

Personal choice...you choose either traditional or choice. If you choose personal choice you call in the morning and request a time and table size and you get it. You can even sit with the same server every night if you desire.

We never called in the morning (our fault) and twice on an 11 night cruise we got a beeper - but it's not the norm by any means.

Traditional dining...my experience. You sit with people you have nothing in common with...so next cruise you request a small table and you don't get it...then you have to argue with several people - miss the first night in the dining room and eat at the same time every night unless you choose to eat in a specialty restaurant.

For some reason this keeps going round and round in circles. If you make a simple call in the morning you will get your time and table with or without new or old friends.

This is one of those debates that will never be settled. I don't understand why I would want to sit with strangers. I don't go on cruises to make friends. DH and I enjoy being together, by ourselves :) . I don't care if waiters know my name or my preferences, and I certainly don't equate communal eating with elegance or sophistication. OTOH, those who prefer traditional seating will never understand why I don't enjoy those aspects of cruising.

On our first cruise (on Monarch back in prehistory when she was new) we had traditional dining at a large table and hated every minute on it. Back then (prehistory, remember? ;) ) we didn't know we could ask for a table for two. Next 2 cruises, asked for and got tables for 2 -- heaven! Next cruise, Princess, anytime dining, always got a table for 2 and yes, we had to wait sometimes for a table, but that's no different from going to a local restaurant. Last cruise, AOS, we never made it to the DR. Instead we ate at WJ every night (and Portofino both formal nights) and it was just perfect for us. We eat in restaurants all the time, so for us the DR service isn't a novelty. We were very happy with our arrangement.

Next cruise is a group thing (work related), so I'm sure we'll have to do traditional, but it's only 3 nights, we'll survive :D . The one after that is again on Princess and we have PC again.

Vive la difference! ;) :D :)

On Princess, did you call down earlier in the day to make reservations or did you simply show up? When we ate in the dining room, we called ahead for reservations and never had to wait. We were also given exactly the size table we asked for.

To respond to concerns others brought up throughout the thread...

1) Princess did not seem to have a problem scheduling entertainment so that there were choices in time that would work with a variety of dining times.

2) Why would you only have 3 hours to feed everyone on the ship? The current dinner hours run for at least 4 hours. First seating is 6pm and last seating starts at 8:30 so I am sure people are still there until 10pm or later.

3) To make anytime dining work, I would think that some remodeling changes would need to be made, including and increase in tables that seat fewer people, leaving enough large ones for large parties.

Just my thoughts.

If we have to explain then ya just don't get it. Surprising come from a Canadian though.....:confused:

It's all a matter of preference.... To each his own. No problem with those wanting "personal choice' freestyle just was pointing out differences.

CC

PS yes a mess hall is eating as is a college food hall but so is TGIF an Applebees etc. Just go in and eat and run under an hour. It's the American way........... rush rush rush. Not so in Italy, France, Spain. Dining is an event in of itself... oh my I'm explaining dining vs eating.....:eek:

Please tell us why its so much better than all the other eateries near your home.

All the fuss about RCI adding an option to the dinner choice has made me really wonder if I am in the dark on this. :confused:

Seems like an odd question, really, because I don't go on a cruise in order to have the same kind of experience I can have at "all the other eateries near my home."

I don't mind if they add an option of "anytime dining", either, but I would prefer to retain the option of the traditional seating. It's not an essential thing, in my mind, but I like the part of getting to know your waitstaff and tablemates over the course of the cruise.

Many times you call a restaurant and they have seating at only 6:30 or 8:30, no other choices. So, I think that many restaurants probably do have a 2-seating evening, they just don't tell you.

The thing that you have to remember is that the food on a cruise ship for dinner is pre-prepared, they estimate how many of X dinners vs Y and Z dinners they will need. After years of serving, they have the formula down pretty well. Your waiter doesn't go in and order your dinner from the kitchen, then they get it ready. They go in and tell how many plates of X Y Z they need and it is put onto a platter, an assembly line plated the food.

My point being that it would be totally confusing for the cruise ships to have the great service they do for the masses of people they serve without it being orchestrated. I've read so many complaints about NCL and Freestyle, Personal Choice on Princess. The only ships that seem to have a method that can work are the smaller ships, with less passengers to serve.

So, while I wish there was another choice to the set dining times, early is too early, late is too late, 7:30 would be perfect. I've come to the conclusion it is the best way to serve a huge amount of people in a timely fashion.

We've done Freestyle, it worked great for us because we opted to go to the specialty restaurants every night. The lines waiting for the main dining room was extreme.

Oh come on, can you tell me you haven't read a lot of threads complaining about the dining room or dining room service on RCI or any of the other lines that only offer traditional dining?

You can't make everyone happy. We absolutly loved PC on Princess and I know many others who do as well.

Also, do you have to go to the specialty restaurants at only two specific seatings? It seems odd that RCI can handle a reservations for those, but not non-paid dining options.

I hate Free style dining!!! Hate it , hate it , hate it!

We cruise to meet people and actually enjoy sitting with others. I like having my set time & table.

I realize some people would like to go to dinner when ever they want and honestly, sometimes it is hard to wait to eat till 8:30pm.

However, my hubby and I eat out 2-3 times per week sometimes with friends sometimes just us and being with others is just so much fun.

I don't see a perk in going to the dining room at 7pm for dinner and waiting in line for a table or being seated with some folks that have already ordered and have started eating the bread.

I get "free style" at home.............just like Formal nights (wish they only had 1 not 2) it is something we look forward to about cruising.:)

Every restaurant in our town except the diner has set seatings on every holiday when it is busy--that equates with it being busy every day on the ship...those who don't wan't traditional dining have so many options already..Hope they do not change it esp on rRdiance class & Vision class...It is nice to meet & mingle at lunch but for dinner I like a set group of diners & waitstaff.

Archived