What are the best Alaska souveniers I should get?

pcann

I know to look for original made Alaska souveniers. I want to buy items we do not have and cannot get anywhere but Alaska. We will be shopping Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria. Suggestions?

Some suggestions: an ulu (Eskimo "kitchen knife" - attractive and practical), gold nuggets (raw or made into jewelry or other crafts), burl bowls or boxes (made from wood "knots"), mammoth or walrus ivory.

Murray

After the first couple of stops, you will be sick of seeing the same stuff over and over...There are all the same T-Shirts, goofy hats and ulu knives everywhere you go...

Remember, if buying an ulu knife, NOT to pack it in your "carry-on"!!!

A lot of the merchandise you'll find is made in China or wherever...

Buying things specifically Alaskan, you are really looking at native arts and crafts--carvings made of bone or rock, also furs, blankets and sweaters and other woven goods...There is a marking to look for, a stylized "hand" denoting that it is made by the native peoples...

Be aware, the native merchandise is pretty expensive for the most part...

I could think of a few places of note we visited during the land portion of our cruisetour (a small shop just a block from the Marriott in Anchorage, the Gift Shop and Artists' Tables at the Alaska Native Heritage Center near Anchorage, etc.)...But, it sounds like you are doing "Cruise only"...

Our guide in Ketchikan pointed out the native shops for us...and there's a small store with native merchandise along the highway just outside the Saxman Village Totem Poles near Ketchikan...

Good luck...

>>Buying things specifically Alaskan, you are really looking at native arts and crafts...<<

Not by a long shot! There are thousands of non-Native artisans working here in a wide variety of media as well.

Murray

Are there any more native heritage craft places besides the mentioned in Ketchikan I might be able to locate? I understand there will be alot of China made items and I will look hard to find the authentic Alaska made items.

If you walk a few blocks from the Ketchikan pier straight ahead to to Creek Street you will see several shops in that area selling very nice art, hand made kitchen items, clothing, etc. in a very pleasant setting.

Les

I always enjoy local jams and jellies. They let us go back to our vacation on a piece of toast! We sampled so many wild berries during our tirp that this was a must, particularly b/c our local guides were telling us how much they enjoyed making their own jams. We found a kitchen store in Skagway (toward the far end of Broadway) that had Salmonberry Jam (not a fish derivative), Huckleberry Jelly, and Spruce tip Jelly (which has this amazing light minty flavor). We also picked up (same store) syrups from Birch Boy (a company out of Haines), which was featured on Food Network's Food Finds.

this time i am going to buy a authentic russian made nesting doll. i saw a beautiful one last sept and thought i could not afford it. but i am going to try to find it in may or one similar to it. it was in a little shop near creek street in ketchikan. the russian influence is in alaska also. i picked up a ammilite ring last year. ammilite is a shell that is found in the alaskan waters. it is gorgeous colors--red,yellow, green and blue ( blue in the color scheme makes it more valuable, that is the info i got on it anyway ). it is in some of the jewlery shops. you might want to try and find it. good luck and i know you will find something wonderful to bring home.

I think this will be a great gift to bring back to my husband. (He won't be on the cruise with me) I am copying all the stores and directions so we will visit them. My sister will love the jams. This may be a weird question but are there native or eskimo villages that see items directly to people rather than going through the tourist stores?

shookdm

where did he buy that?? i dont remember seeing or hearing about those :eek: . i wouldnt say your family is weird--just unique :D .

Don't know where he bought it - we've had it for 35+ years. But it's ivory tipped!!

Gotta admit, though, out of everything we got when we lived up there, the oosik is definately THE conversation piece.

I've returned from Alaska without the ONE thing I really wanted to buy - Salmon Dog Treats! Once on the cruise, all rational and organized thinking disappeared. Does anyone know where I can order them from, or would it not be worth cost of the shipping?

I remember some time back seeing a thread on the dog treats, but who knows where it is now.

Thank You

I bought salmon from Dejon in Skagway. I bought a couple of small packets to carry home and had more sent in the mail. Yummy! I also bought my ulu right there. It is Alaskan made and strictly utilitarian- no engraving on the blade or handles. Boy, can it cut! I also got a silver whale fluke pendant at a small local jewelry store in Skagway. Completely unexpectedly, my husband bought me a fur and leather parka in Denali.... whew! What a memento! Actually, I wear the whale fluke often and enjoy it very much. We spent so many hours watching for them from our balcony.... that's a wonderful souvenir of a wonderful trip!

>>...are there native or eskimo villages that see items directly to people rather than going through the tourist stores?<<

No there aren't.

Murray

Yukon, who am I to question your statements about Alaska? But in Barrow, at the Inupiat Cultural center, there were Eskimos selling their own stuff. Granted, no one fly to Barrow for this, but still...

Also in Hoonah, just where the bus drops you off in the village, people were selling objects in the "community center".

Good point, boten. There are actually lots of places, but with the exception now of Hoonah (which I haven't been to yet) and the Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage (which you have to pay $20+ to get into even just to shop at the artisans' area), none of the places are readily accessible to cruisers, nor consistently available. The bar of any Native community is often productive, but there are occasional craft sales and such in communities as well.

Murray

We made our first trip to Alaska in May of this year and this is our list of favorite items and shops. I think the Blue Heron in Ketchikan was my favorite.

We hope this helps.

Russ and Vivian

SKAGWAY

Skagway Art - Beautiful original artwork. Look at the Transformer (eagle/woman) and Whales Tail pendants.

North To Alaska - Purchased our Ulu Knives here. Made in Alaska with matching cutting board for $31.95. They also have the quality Grizzly Paws for salad serving. They ship for whatever it cost and do not charge any handling fees. The nice lady from OK will be glad to help you. The items we purchased on Tuesday afternoon were at our home when we arrived on Sat.

JUNEAU

Galligaskins - 219 S. Franklin St. Real up town type store. Say hello to the lady from Charleston SC for us.

The Fireweed Shop - 469 S. Franklin St. Look at their leather pocket books. Bet you will want one.

Caribou Crossings - Driftwood Santa

Alaska Shirt Co. Alaska Hand Puppet with 5 Alaskan animals.

KETCHIKAN

Perfect Partners - 22 Creek St. Alaskan made dolls. Beautiful.

Barnaby's Old Town - 422 Mission St. Great selection of a lot of items and you can have your photo made with a big ole Polar Bear. Be sure and pet the dog at the door.

Blue Heron - Alaskan & Native art. Check out the handmade Ulus and other knives. I got one here with a 6" antler across the top.

Poker Creek Gold - $39 Gold whales tail.

Dockside Trading Co. Children's Fleece

Tom's Treasures - Silver whales tails with mother of pearl, onyx, turquoise or other insets.

These are the ones we liked. The owner/operators were most gracious and we hope to see them again.

I just got back from Alaska on the 19th. I purchased Theobroma Chocolate Bars for my co-workers. I purchased it in Talkeetna at The Chocolate Corner but it is made in Sitka and available in other stores. Well everyone loved it! One person even found the web site and ordered more. I think the dark chocolate is especially good!

Archived