Best Alaska Cruise Choices?

puhkuh

My husband & I are planning to take a 7-day cruise Summer 08 to Alaska. This will be only our 2nd cruise and first one to Alaska (possible only one). I would greatly appreciate any feedback offered on a couple of questions.

First, which cruise line/cruise ship would you recommend for an Alaska cruise?

Second, which itinerary and ports would you recommend? Inside passage? other?

We are early 30's, w/o kids, not too interested in on board group activities - mainly dining, shows, and relaxing. Would be really interested in interesting ports with beautiful scenery. I am just starting my research, so I apologize if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for your help!!

If you do not plan to spend any time in Alaska before or after your cruise then I would recommend going with an inside passage cruise that begins and ends in Vancouver.

There are many cruise lines that sail Alaska. A nice once is Celebrity Cruise Lines.

Keith

My husband & I are planning to take a 7-day cruise Summer 08 to Alaska. This will be only our 2nd cruise and first one to Alaska (possible only one). I would greatly appreciate any feedback offered on a couple of questions.

First, which cruise line/cruise ship would you recommend for an Alaska cruise?

Second, which itinerary and ports would you recommend? Inside passage? other?

We are early 30's, w/o kids, not too interested in on board group activities - mainly dining, shows, and relaxing. Would be really interested in interesting ports with beautiful scenery. I am just starting my research, so I apologize if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hi puhkuh,

We have cruised Alaska on Princess, Hal and Celebrity. I would highly recommend Princess or as a close second Hal for cruising to Alaska. Princess and Hal, on most cruises, go into Glacier Bay and College Fjord and Celebrity does not. While IMHO the food and service on Celebrity are equal to the other cruise lines that cruise Alaska the big drawback with Celebrity is the on-going propulsion problems that have plagued Celebrity M-class ships since their launch about 6 years ago. Since you mentioned that this may be your only cruise to Alaska I would be very concerned about sailing Celebrity M-class (Millennium, Infinity & Summit) ships that have this problem because of the possibility of missing ports and not getting close to the glaciers. I have not yet sailed NCL Pearl, but have read many great reports about that ship cruising in Alaska.

As for Inside passage RT or one-way, if time permits I would recommend a one-way cruise to or from Alaska and then spending a week on land before or after your cruise. Renting a car and driving in Alaska is very easy and a great way to experience this wonderful place.

The ports are pretty much the same for all cruise lines and each have there own attraction.

The key is to do a lot of research for your self and check the cruising and reliability record of the cruise lines that you are interested in.

Hope this helps.

We recently completed an Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess based on the recommendation from a friend who is a long-time cruiser. We are kid-less as well but never made it to any formal on-board activities other than meal-times (traditional late dining which is great because it's still light at 10 PM and most families with young ones have eaten earlier), and enjoyed this cruise immensely. The Coral and her sister-ship the Island are lovely, with less than 2000 passengers making them feel more intimate rather than crowded (and that's the major reason we’re considering the Coral for a Panama Canal cruise next year). It's a Vancouver/Whittier transit stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, with gorgeous cruising through Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The ports are fairly popular with many cruiselines, but have excursions catering to a wide variety of tastes - i.e., great visuals everywhere. Don’t be afraid to book those independently, which can save you money. Although it can be more expensive to fly in an out of different cities, you're not retracing steps since you start and end in different ports so everything is new. The trip home (or to) Anchorage can be fairly long, but I think the additional glacier views were definitely worth it. Whatever you choose, I don't think you will be disappointed with the beauty of the Alaska.

The ship was very nice and well kept...The price was right we got a corner aft suite for what most regular balconies run on other line. The food was excellent and the dining room was nice because it was 2 levels and I did not feel closed in..

Our favorite port was Sitka and Juneau..Juneau because of the Tracy Arm tour we took and Sitka because it was just soo picturesque..

I am sure whatever line you choose you will have a wonderful time..

We recently completed an Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess based on the recommendation from a friend who is a long-time cruiser. We are kid-less as well but never made it to any formal on-board activities other than meal-times (traditional late dining which is great because it's still light at 10 PM and most families with young ones have eaten earlier), and enjoyed this cruise immensely. The Coral and her sister-ship the Island are lovely, with less than 2000 passengers making them feel more intimate rather than crowded (and that's the major reason we’re considering the Coral for a Panama Canal cruise next year). It's a Vancouver/Whittier transit stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, with gorgeous cruising through Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The ports are fairly popular with many cruiselines, but have excursions catering to a wide variety of tastes - i.e., great visuals everywhere. Don’t be afraid to book those independently, which can save you money. Although it can be more expensive to fly in an out of different cities, you're not retracing steps since you start and end in different ports so everything is new. The trip home (or to) Anchorage can be fairly long, but I think the additional glacier views were definitely worth it. Whatever you choose, I don't think you will be disappointed with the beauty of the Alaska.

Puhkuh, You are very welcome.

LoriPhil,

We were on the Island Princess earlier this year on an Alaskan cruise and I could not agree with you more. We spent a week, after the cruise, driving in Alaska and it was also fantastic.

Archived