10 day partial of 14 day full canal on RCCL

Cruiser Steph

I originally was thinking of doing the 14 day eastbound on Vision but I looked at the intinerary and saw that there is only 1 day in the canal cruising. Then I saw a 10 day out of Miami that includes 1/2 day in the canal cruising with the remainder of the day in Panama.

Has anyone opinions on pros or cons?? I like the idea of round trip airfare to Miami vs one way to LA and then a one way out of the Domincan Republic, which makes me kind of leery.

Thanks for any info. I really appreciate it!!

Stephanie :D

I think most people would agree if everything else was equal, the full transit would be the best. Having said that, it doesn't mean the partial transit is not a great cruise. Doing the complete transit would certainly give you the complete picture as well perhaps some satisfaction in knowing you went from ocean to ocean, all in about 8 hours.

On the partial transit you will enter Gatun Locks and lock up to Gatun Lake. Once in the Lake passengers who have booked tours through the ship will disembark. The ship will then lock back down Gatun Locks, proceeding to dock in Cristobal. While docked in Cristobal there are local vendors and the tours will rejoin the ship. There is a tour available that takes you to Gamboa where you board a ferry which takes you through Gaillard Cut and the Pacific Locks. You return to Cristobal by bus. You get almost the ocean to ocean experience and you get to see some of the countryside. The part of Canal you don't get to see is the Gatun Lake portion from Gatun to Gamboa.

They are both great cruises, no real cons. You could always do one cruise now and the other one later. Both cruises are sufficiently different and each have some distinct advantages.

You might look into an "open jaw" ticket, as opposed two oneway tickets. I don't if they are available on international flights.

Have fun!

I have done 2 full transits and one partial transit. During the partial, we took a shore excursion on a boat that took us all the way through. Have a full transit scheduled for December with Princess. I would strongly recommend the full transit. The partial doesn't take you through the Culebra cut or under the Bridge of the Americas unless you take a shore excursion to the Pacific. If you do take a shore excursion to the Pacific, that will probably take up most/all the time that you would have in Panama. Also, I don't get the sense that the time in Panama is that exciting. You didn't say how the other stops compare, but if the main focus of the trip is the canal and you are unsure, I'd highly recommend the full transit.

• 1 month later...
I've done the partial transit and I enjoyed it. Yes I would have loved to go through the Culebra cut and under the Bridge of The Americas but I really wanted to see the Rainforest. Honestly for me seeing the Gatun Locks section of the canal was enough.

Where did you see the rainforest? Pananma or Costa Rica? What excursion were yo on? I have a partial transit scheduled for January.

Archived