Voyager transatlantic cabin selection.

I know cabin selection is personal taste for each cruiser, but I would really appreciate advice on this one.

We're planning on taking the Voyager crossing in April'08 from Fort Lauderdale to the Azores (8 days). We've never sailed on the Voyager

before, or with Regent for that matter, but will be on the Paul Gaugin next month, so thought we would book on board then to get the 'on board discount'.

Originally we were considering anything between an 'H' (although we've discovered these are sold out already), up to Penthouse B.

Maybe I spend too much time reading all the reviews on here, so I'm aware it's probably best not to opt for an aft 'c' cabin, but now I'm confused as to whether a penthouse b is worth the extra for only a little more space (but the layout looks good to me) ? Will we actually use the services of a butler ? On a transatlantic crossing would we use him more as we're not off on shore sightseeing ?

The fare difference isn't that great on this sailing, so that's not the issue.

We've previously sailed on Silverseas 3 times, so are familiar with their 'regular' balcony cabins which were perfect, but that was on port intensive itineries.

From previous experiences, are there more favourable cabins to have on a transatlantic cruise ?

All opinions , good and bad, genuinely sought !

Yes, probably best to avoid the aft cabins on Voyager. I would assume that by now all the G cabins are also sold out. I have never been in a B with a butler, so have no comment there. I tend to get seasick so I have a preference for low and mid-ships located cabins. I have crossed the Atlantic (and Pacific) in a deck 7 F cabin and it was fine. So, I can recommend an F on deck 7 to you. Hopefully, you will be happy with whatever cabin you end up in. Enjoy, Debbie

We've done 2 Spring crossings aboard Voyager. They're usually fairly smooth compared to the Fall crossings. As a matter of fact our 2 were like glass all the way. We usually go for a Cat E or F just forward or just aft of the atrium. Wouldn't waste the extra money for a penthouse aboard Voyager, since they're only 20 sqft larger than the standard; just a different configuration. You can always go for a Cat G or H guarantee, but then you run the risk of getting an aft stateroom if you're concerned about vibration. We've had a penthouse twice aboard Voyager before they went all inclusive and it was nice, but not worth the extra buck IMHO. We were in 1007 for one of the Spring crossings and it was very smooth. We've cruised Voyager 5 times; 6th coming up 1 Sep. It's our favorite ship.

I agree with Doug Burns - no need for a PH suite on Voyager. The "normal" ones are just great. We had a PH suite with butler twice on V. last year. The extra room is not much and the bathroom etc are the same. Our second butler, Ronnie, must be the best in the business and he certainly contributed to the enjoyment of our crossing, but that said, butlers are not really essential!!! Do stay away from aft cabins though unless vibration is not a problem for you. Also, the sea can be rough in the mid Atlantic. Last Nov Navigator had a rough crossing, while we, three days behind, had smooth sailing! So amidships has to be better...

We have done the November crossing every year since The Voyager's maiden season. We always get the same cabin (number) - a "B" Penthouse. Like the extra closet space and the way the sitting area is seperated from the sleeping area. We use the balcony almost everyday. Also, have room service breakfast every morning, beautifuly served by the butler. Last year we had Ronnie, who was magnificent. Previous years, we have had Ian who was equally as wonderful (seems last year the two were cabin-mates). Ian would stop-by and check-up on us.

Whether a butler is worth it or not is up to the individual. I enjoy the extra touches provided by both Ian and Ronnie. I also prefer the layout of the cabin compared to the standard cabin, which is quite comfortable as well.

Been on Yoyager many times, including the maiden shake-down cruise, never for more than 14 nights, however. Penthouse cabins just 14 more square feet than standard, not worth the up in price in my mind, like on the Mariner where they are really big. Room service regular guys are fantastic. Take a close look at their website and decide for yourself what floorplan you like. Flipping of plan means friends can walk into your PH cabin and be shielded from a view of your bedroom, that's all. Oh, you get a window in the bedroom in PH, just more chance for sunlight that I don't like in the a.m.!

koalabear6314: Jeff and I are also booked on the transatlantic cruise along with the following segment to Barcelona (14 days). Great to hear of someone else joining us (we were feeling a little lonely). We were lucky enough to book an "H" category. After you book on the PG, let us know.

We have been in a PH B once when we booked a guarantee and ended up with an upgrade. I like the shape of the room and the larger closet BUT wouldn't pay extra for it. The regular suites are large enough for us and we didn't see the need for having a butler. Like others have mentioned, we prefer mid ship and low the best. (Category G, Deck 6)

I guess you must be getting on the Voyager on April 30th (the day the World Cruise ends)?? I'll wave as we're getting off and you're getting on. I hope you enjoy Regent.

Thank you all for the advice. You've convinced us that it just isn't worth paying the extra for a PHB, and along with reading the threads about the butlers, I'm sure we'll manage fine without one as well.

Looks like we'll go for a G, which our TA has said there are plenty still available.

Only 3 weeks to go till the Paul Gaugin , and paradise.

And at least we wont feel too bad getting off at the end knowing we'll have something else booked and to look forward to !

Archived