Lodging in Sydney close to airport/pier

lbeck

We're going on the Sapphire Princess to A/NZ on Feb 26, 2008. We arrive in Sydney a couple of nights before boarding the ship. Do you know of any lodging that offers transportation from the airport to their place, then from their place to the Princess boarding?

If not, any advice on making it work without private transportation (e.g., rental car) will be appreciated.

Also - where exactly do you board the Sapphire Princess in Sydney? Seems that this should be easy to find, but can't find it on the Princess site or by using Google. With the pier location I may be able to find a hotel on my own if necessary.

Thanks.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Lee

There are shuttle services that operate from the aiport to the city and to Circular Quay (the port). This one for example charges $20 per person

http://kst.com.au/airport.php

Realistically, if there are two of you or more, you could get a taxi for the same price which will be more comfortable, convenient, you don't have to share and wait for drop off of other people.

I would definitely get a hotel closer to the pier than out at the airport as you are arriving early so you will have time to see some of the wonderful sights of Sydney which are close to the city. There is nothing to see at the airport.

I definitely would take a taxi to your hotel, there is a train from the airport but if you have luggage and going on a cruise it usually is more than one piece each, then a taxi is well worth it and as the two previous posters have mentioned it is only around $20AUD. I would not try to hire a car as Sydney is very confusing for a newcomer, with lots of one way streets etc and if you are not used to driving on the left hand side it can be a huge headache, plus it will cost dollars to have the car parked overnight.

There are some great hotels both close to Circular Quay where the ship will leave from and also at Darling Harbour. The hardest decision is which one!

Jennie

I definitely would take a taxi to your hotel, there is a train from the airport but if you have luggage and going on a cruise it usually is more than one piece each, then a taxi is well worth it and as the two previous posters have mentioned it is only around $20AUD.
I agree with the recommendation for a taxi. It's fast and efficient. However, I suspect that the fare to Circular Quay would now be about AUD 30 - see this recent post of mine for my experience last month.

Thanks to everyone for your excellent replys. I have booked my hotel which is a reasonably priced 4-star (out of 5) close to Hyde Park and Oxford Street. I figured our legs will need some streching after the long flight from the U.S. and a walk in the park will be nice. My wife enjoys shopping, and I understand that Oxford Street has plenty of places to shop.

I did ultimately confirm that the ship leaves from the OPT. This site actually lists the ship and date. After finding that, I also found the Travelodge very close to the OPT. It was a toss-up on the hotels, so I chose the one by the park and shopping area so that I wouldn't be tempted to walk my luggage to the terminal. I've done that in the past when there have been only a few blocks to traverse but we will have a lot of luggage and I'd need to make a couple of trips and feel pretty silly dragging that stuff down the sidewalk. Plus, being unfamiliar with the area and logistics, I don't know whether I could check in without actually boarding. So I decided to eliminate the temptation and take a cab from the airport and to the OPT. What I was initially trying to find is lodging that supplys a shuttle from the airport and/or to the terminal. But, as has been mentioned, the cabs are reasonable and you aren't at the mercy of a hotel employee that may or may not be prompt.

On the hotel location, I continue to be amazed at the advances in technology. I was aware of Google Maps and have used it as a novelty item to see satellite views of places that I know, like my home and surrounds, but find it very useful to see the area that we will be staying. What I was not aware of is the feature that allows you to click on picture thumbnails that show actual ground-level photographs of the area.

So - with the arrival hotel chosen, I'll now begin searching for where to stay in Fiji, which is where we will spend a few days before returning to the States. Thanks again for all of your help.

I 'm not sure you'll be happy with the location. While there are shops in Oxford St, its not really known for its shopping. Its also about 1km from Hyde Park so a good 15 minute walk to do your walk around the park.

You mentioned the Travelodge - I would seriously look at the one in Phillip St (which is near Circular Quay) or Wynyard near all the big shops, they are both centrally located. The Cambridge is kind of on the edge of the city and in area with a lot of gay bars and nightclubs and its not really close to public transport.

gay bars and nightclubs
Uh oh.:eek: Maybe I acted too fast. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can get out of the reservation that I made.

It's good toget some local advice.

Lee

Hi there,

We sailed on the sapphire in january this year, it was fantastic, you will love it.

We stayed at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn, located at the Rocks, Circular Quay. It was a great location, close to the ferries and 5 minute walk to board the ship. We could see the sapphire berthed (before daylight) out our window, it was beautiful. It was very close and the hotel was lovely also. We were able to put our luggage in early and continue looking around untilboarding.

We also took a taxi from the airport for 3 of us, cheaper than a bus and more convenient than the train.

Have a great holiday, wish it was us again.

Michele:)

it was fantastic, you will love it.
Thanks, Michele. I can hardly wait.

I see on your post that you are going to Fiji on my birthday! As it turns out, we're going to spend 3 days/4 nights in Fiji after our February cruise. Our trip will be a stopover en route from Auckland to the U.S. I'll certainly welcome anything that you have learned about the island(s) so far ane hope to be in touch after you return to glean some knowledge from your trip.

Thanks,

Lee

There is a shuttle service from the airport to city hotels. It used to be $7.50 pp. It might be a little more now. The driver puts your bags on and off the bus.
Just a word of warning about this, though: You can spend a long and very frustrating time on board while it trawls past numerous hotels dropping people off. One might think that the extra time taken is not worth the money saved.

Not to hijack someone elses thread, but this is pretty much related. I have booked a room at the Radisson Plaza Hotel Sydney (27 O'CONNELL STREET) for my pre-cruise stay from November 6 to 10th.

The location seems pretty good and I was able to get a decent rate by using my companies corporate discount.

Anyone stay here or have any opinions they can add about the location or hotel itself?

Thanks!

A great little Hotel right across the street from the terminal is the Russell. I stayed here for a week before my cruise and loved it and the location The shuttle bus from the airport dropped me off right at the doorstep.

The location can't be beat. Every night I walked around the harbour area with the bridge and the opera house all lit up, and there are numerous small restaurants in the area. Ferry terminal is across the street, there was a street fair/market in the Rocks on the weekend and you are minutes walk from downtown area.

Here is their link: http://www.therussell.com.au/

A great little Hotel right across the street from the terminal is the Russell. I stayed here for a week before my cruise and loved it and the location The shuttle bus from the airport dropped me off right at the doorstep.

The location can't be beat. Every night I walked around the harbour area with the bridge and the opera house all lit up, and there are numerous small restaurants in the area. Ferry terminal is across the street, there was a street fair/market in the Rocks on the weekend and you are minutes walk from downtown area.

Here is their link: http://www.therussell.com.au/

Looks really o.k - with lots of charm, but rather steep in price at US$205 (for double with private bath) when the 5* Marriott Sydney Harbour is generally available through Priceline for about $150.

I 'm not sure you'll be happy with the location.

The Cambridge is kind of on the edge of the city and in area with a lot of gay bars and nightclubs and its not really close to public transport.

And remember you will be staying there at the tail end of the month long "Madi Gras" celebration. Could get pretty noisey.

And remember you will be staying there at the tail end of the month long "Madi Gras" celebration. Could get pretty noisey.

Oh yes!!! Right in the thick of it:D :D :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that.:p

Hi. There is a shuttle service from the airport to city hotels. It used to be $7.50 pp. It might be a little more now. The driver puts your bags on and off the bus. Just ask when you exit the terminal.

This is how we got from the airport to our hotel at The Rocks. Somehow my husband found they guy with a van while I was getting cash out of the ATM. I think we made 2-3 stops before being the last to get dropped off. I looked at it as my first glimpse of Sydney and places I had read about, so didn't mind that it took a few extra minutes to get us to our hotel.

We are very serious about going on an Australian Cruise, would like to do the one back to Los Angelas. What are the best months to Cruise. Taking notes here. We normally let our TA book everything thru the Cruise lines, in this case, Princess, with transfers. Should we not do this and go on our own. Thank You Oh anyone flying from California, what was the best price you were able to get.

Well, we are already booked for Feb 08 and to tell you the truth the airfare is almost the cost of the cruise itself. We have a Mini-Suite(AA) and it is priced very-very well. I must say that we booked it in November '06. At that time the airfare was 1,399 (booked on-board) However, I'm taking a group of 18 with me and had to change the date 1 month later and the cruiseline charge 1,599 for air - LAX -Sydney - Auckland to LAX.

PinkSuit

We are very serious about going on an Australian Cruise, would like to do the one back to Los Angelas. What are the best months to Cruise. Taking notes here. We normally let our TA book everything thru the Cruise lines, in this case, Princess, with transfers. Should we not do this and go on our own. Thank You Oh anyone flying from California, what was the best price you were able to get.

Not sure what you mean by the best months to cruise - are you talking about weather or price or something else. Weather wise - Australian spring, summer or autumn would be good - that is from Sept to April

Gee. The cruise cost does seem to be competetive with the airfare. Wish that we had the time.

We're flying to SYD and then cruise AU/NZ 12 days and fly out of Auckland. So our flights also are LAX -Sydney - Auckland to LAX like Pinksuit's. but the price that we're paying is a little less expensive at ~$1200 and includes a 4-night stopover in Fiji. Flights are with Air Pacific and they didn't charge extra for flying home from a different city than we flew into, and the Fiji stopover also was at no additional charge.

Archived