Infinity to Alaska July 15-22, 2007 Review - Awesome!

maureenk

Background

We are in our early 40’s and this was our 5th cruise – our 3rd with Celebrity We’ve cruised once with RCCL and once with Carnival. We’ve more recently been taking resort vacations to Mexico, because DH prefers the more casual atmosphere and more time and space on land. We have 2 girls who have gone on all of these vacations with us except for the first, which was pre-kids, and this trip to Alaska.

Pre-cruise

We flew into Vancouver the day prior to embarkation and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson St. It is a very nice Hampton Inn with a very nice “free” breakfast. Got a “deal” on Travelocity but it was still over $200. We spent the day we arrived walking down Robson and we ate dinner at Carderos. The restaurant was already crowded at 6:00 p.m., though more than ½ the tables were being held for reservations. We sat at the oyster bar, which gives you viewing of the kitchen. It was fun. Vancouver is really a beautiful city and we enjoyed the waterfront. On the day of embarkation, we arranged the included shuttle for a ride to the pier at 10:30. Great service!

Embarkation

When we arrived at the pier, people were still waiting for cabs following disembarkation. The baggage handlers really weren’t set up yet to start embarkation, but were happy to provide us with our baggage tags. We proceeded inside and waited in the embarkation line. There was wedding party, which was allowed to board early, and then we were the first people through security. Everything was a breeze and we were on the ship at 11:00! It was great wandering around the ship and checking everything out before anyone else was on the ship. There was an announcement at noon that the buffet was open for lunch and then another announcement at 1:00 indicating that staterooms were ready. It’s a very exciting time on the ship when everyone has a look and feel of anticipation of a great week ahead of them! We unpacked all of our things after lunch, did the drill, which took a long time, and then went to the deck 10 aft deck for sail away and stayed there for quite some time taking in all of the Vancouver and beyond scenery.

Cabin

Since we were going to Alaska, we treated ourselves to a balcony cabin in concierge class. It was a very nice room. The bed was very comfy! Previously, we have stayed only in inside cabins, with the philosophy of spending less money in order to take nice vacations more frequently. Having the balcony was really a great decision for us! In contrast to Caribbean cruises, there is always awesome scenery on an Alaskan cruise. By having the balcony, we could always see what was out there and it was just amazing. Concierge Class? Probably not in the future. Our cabin steward was the weakest of our five cruises. It was nice to have the extra space, especially if we had had our girls with us. The flowers were nice, but the rose in the bathroom was totally wilted over by the 3rd day and I finally threw it out on the 6th day (waiting to see how long it would take for the steward to throw it out). Canapes were not good. I’d be happy again with an inside cabin for a Caribbean itinerary.

Dining

We received our late dinner dining assignment as requested. We were the first to our table and as the others arrived, we all soon realized that table had been set with one too few table settings. We quickly offered to move to another table, which happened after a few minutes after the head waiter tried to figure out what went wrong with the original table. We liked our second table so much we requested to stay there the rest of the cruise. We had wonderful tablemates – a mother and daughter from NYC, a couple from Switzerland, and a couple from California. The couple from California liked the specialty restaurant so much that they dined there 4 nights! We really looked forward to dinner each evening with these wonderful people.

We enjoy the dining experience on Celebrity. We feel that the food is very good and is presented beautifully. We had an average waiter, who warmed up after the first couple of days, and an outstanding assistant waiter. The standout dish that I had was the butternut squash and apple soup. It was out of this world! The clam chowder and the chicken corn chowder were also excellent. Throughout the week, I had prime rib, halibut, lamb shank, sole, lobster, and the salmon from the every-night menu. The lamb shank could have cooked have been cooked a bit longer (was slightly tough) and the sole was a little salty, but overall, what a week! The salmon was really great. Breads and desserts were delicious.

For breakfast, we primarily ate in the buffet, which had a great selection. Tried those waffles that everyone raves about and loved them! We had room service on our first day to enjoy our room, and we ate the main dining room on the last day to avoid the craziness of the buffet that is inevitable on the last day. It was nice and relaxed. I got almond croissants from the Cova Café on 2 mornings. Those are decadent!

For lunch, we primarily ate in the AquaSpa, which we really enjoyed! The Oasis buffet area was absolutely crazy and overcrowded. The AquaSpa café, by pleasant contrast, had wonderfully prepared light dishes and was very relaxed. Some personal favorites were the grilled salmon and the grilled shrimp and scallop skewer, both from the hot selections, which take about 15 minutes to prepare. We did partake of the special Alaskan buffet in the regular buffet area, which I believe was on Hubbard Glacier day. The selections were wonderful, if you like fish and seafood – lots of different seafood salads, huge cocktail shrimp, barbequed salmon, mmmm……

I had booked the specialty restaurant prior to the cruise for Wednesday, Hubbard Glacier day. It was really a great and worthwhile experience! The food was exceptional. We both had the goat cheese souffle, which I have read about ever since Millie went into service – outstanding! I had the beef tenderloin and DH had the shrimp and lobster pasta, which was one of 2 dishes that the waiter recommended (the other was the lamb chops en croute). Both were absolutely delicious! The beef was very tender and very flavorful. We had the chocolate souffle, which was also excellent. We were given a surprise chocolate cake for our anniversary, which they sent to our room for us since we were stuffed. The cake was one of the best cakes I have ever eaten. We kept it in our fridge and ate it over the next few days.

We enjoyed our own private happy hour on our balcony every day. We ordered room service on a couple of occasions late afternoon after returning from excursions. The avocado and tomato quesadilla was unexpectedly good. The cheese platter was very nice. DH loved the sushi, available everyday in the buffet from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. On day 5, we requested that they no longer deliver the canapes. As a note, I asked our room steward if we could have shrimp cocktail instead, and he said only if it’s during the early dinner seating, not at the 4:00 time that they normally bring the canapes.

Wow, after writing this, I’m realizing it’s no wonder that my scale wasn’t too nice to me after returning!

Ship Activities

Our Cruise Connections event was on Monday. It was great to meet Cruiseknotter and all of her family and Go2Sea and her sister and mom. Paulam didn’t come and we never met them. Becky, the cruise director, and Ian, the activities director, spent about an hour talking with us, which was fun and interesting. It was very nice of them to spend the time with us.

We attended the Captain’s Welcome, which was after the first formal dinner. We also attended the Captain’s Club Welcome Party, which didn’t have as many people as I had expected. They were very generous with drinks and appetizers. We did not attend the Captain’s Club tea party because it conflicted with one of the naturalist’s presentations. I would have liked to do both, but being in Alaska, the naturalist prevailed.

I played Bingo 4 times throughout the trip. Only won a drawing for a T-shirt, mug, and key card, but it’s always fun.

I went to 2 of the cooking demos and really enjoyed both. The head chef performed the presentations and was very interesting. The first was in a lounge and they prepared a couple of martinis, and waiters came around with samples, and they made 2 of the dinner entrees for that evening. Samples of the tournedos rossini (filet mignon) were delicious. Second cooking demo was in the theatre - no samples at this one. At both, 2 guys carved fruits for the displays.

We attended a few of the shows. We really enjoyed the comedian, who performed twice. The singer on board was also excellent. We heard the second of his 2 performances. Unfortunately, the aerialists are no longer on board, despite our asking about them and being told that to expect their show later in the week. There was an outstanding acapella group of 4 young men who performed in various lounges and briefly in one of the shows. Very good!

One of highlights of the cruise for us was the naturalist, Milos. He had three presentations in the theatre, and narrated from the Constellation lounge on deck 11 a various published timed. He was extremely knowledgeable and made what could be dry subject fun and interesting. We spent a lot of time in the Constellation looking for wildlife with and without Milos.

Another unexpected treat for us was an invitation to the Captain’s Table on the second formal night, hosted by Simon Weir, the hotel director. The whole experience was very enjoyable, from cocktails prior to dinner, meeting the other guests, talking with Simon, wine during dinner, and a rose for the ladies. Simon told us about the new ships and his favorite itineraries and answered questions. They took a picture of the table from above and delivered 2 copies to our room the next day. We had a very nice evening. We had been apprehensive initially because we don’t like unnecessary formality and prefer more understated events, but this turned out to be really wonderful and we very much appreciated the opportunity.

We learned that there were 400 children on our sailing. We would have never expected that! We saw kids here and there, and it was particularly notable that there were always and handful of kids in the pools, no mater what the weather!

Ketchikan

It was a beautiful clear and sunny day, probably 70 to 75 degrees. Evidently, one of the few days a year that nice. We started the day by hiking on our own on the Rainbird Trail. It was a good walk to the trail, with one big hill, and the trail was very beautiful, through a rain forest. It was a short trail, under a mile, so we walked down it and back. The views of the ship and the Ketchikan waters were spectacular from the trail head. We tendered back to the ship to change and lighten our load. We had a quick lunch, then went into town and looked around Creek St. while waiting for the public bus for $1 to Totem Bight. It was a scenic bus ride all along the water. We enjoyed the small park, which is right on the water, with about 12 totem poles and a self-guided tour sheet. It would have helped if the totems had been numbered cause it took us most of our time there to figure out how the totems corresponded to the numbered descriptions on the guide. From what others have said, Saxman Village might have been a better choice with more than totem poles, though I didn’t talk to anyone who had done both. When our ship left Ketchikan, we could see the park from our balcony during our happy hour! Although we had priority tender passes, there was no waiting at all. It was great sitting up top of the tenders in the sunshine!

Hubbard Glacier

The day began cloudy and overcast, and it started to clear and warm up around 12:00 or so. It ended up being another sunny and clear day. We had an early lunch at the Alaskan buffet that I discussed earlier so that we would be free for the glacier viewing later. We were sitting on our balcony and saw that we were approaching the entrance to the glacier. We stayed for a while, then got dressed in our fleece, hat, and gloves, donned with cameras and binoculars, and went up to decks 11 and 12 forward, preparing to stay there for several hours. It was absolutely jammed with people. Some people had actually climbed up to the radar towers, which we were certain wasn’t allowed and didn’t seem like a particularly safe idea either.

The captain stopped the ship at the entrance to glacier, so we were very far away – many miles, though I never found out exactly how far. He made an announcement that he couldn’t proceed any closer and would stay in this position and rotate 360 degrees for about an hour. Despite being so far away, it was an awesome view, especially since it was so clear. It was actually hot up on deck. Never used my hat and gloves and took off my jacket, as did others. We stayed on deck 12, fighting for elbow space for some time, and then retreated to our cabin on the starboard side, which had by far the longer viewing time than the port side. Once the ship rotated such that we couldn’t see the glacier from our balcony, we went to the deck 10 aft deck and stayed there for the next hour or more, including the time the ship was pulling away from the glacier as well. We loved that deck space – it’s all teak and has wooden tables with partial sunshades overhead.

Juneau

We had another beautiful, clear day in Juneau. We had prearranged the Adventure Bound tour of Tracy Arm, which left at 8:00 and returned at 6:00. We were asked to board the boat at 7:30. There were about 35 guests total, plus the owner, Steve Weber, and 2 deck hands. They provided coffee and donuts in the morning and we bought sandwiches on board for lunch. Steve narrated at various points throughout the tour about wildlife, the glacier, the surrounding mountains, icebergs, etc. There were a couple of seats up front next to him and we spent quite a while talking with him as well.

This was an unbelievably scenic tour, with South Sawyer Glacier as the highlight. On the ride to the glacier, we saw a couple of black bear and many birds, and toured around looking at various huge icebergs that had a brilliant deep blue color. As the end of arm, Steve maneuvered skillfully through a lot of ice to get in front of the glacier. He indicated it was closest that he was able to get thus far this season, and estimated that we were about ½ mile from the glacier. Everyone commented that it felt like we were much closer than that. We stayed in front of the glacier for about an hour, listening to the “white thunder” and watching it calve repeatedly. There were probably a hundred seals laying around on the ice. On the way back, we stopped at a couple of waterfalls and Steve took the boat in high gear back to Juneau. I had worn only a raincoat over my blouse and could have used my fleece and gloves for the glacier viewing. The boat was primarily enclosed, with decks front and rear and narrow walkways on either side. On the way back, it was very cloudy and rainy. A truly wonderful day!

Icy Strait Point

I had prearranged a whale watching tour with FISHES, with Floyd and Marjorie. This day was overcast and cooler, with slight drizzle every now and then. I guess this was our day to experience more typical Alaskan weather. Again, there was no wait for a tender at 7:30. Floyd met us just outside of the Icy Strait Point security gate, about ¼ mile from the dock as planned at 8:00, and we were last to join our group of 6. Floyd drove all of us to the Hoonah pier and we soon were on his boat, whizzing past the Infinity on our way to scout out the whales. The ship’s tour was ahead of us, leaving at 7:45. Along the way, Floyd looked along the shore for bear, but we never were able to spot any. There were several seals here and there along the way and he stopped to allow for photos. The ship’s tour boat and several other boats were already in position near Point Adolphus to view the whales so Floyd knew exactly where to go. There was a big pod of whales, probably 10 or 12, swimming together in this area putting on quite the show. Floyd dropped a microphone in the water and we heard all sorts of whale communication. At one point, well after the ship’s tour had left, the entire pod swam toward our boat. They came all the way to the bow of the boat, and then dove under, and popped up just past the stern, and kept swimming on the other side. My husband captured many photos and much of it on video via the camera. It was really amazing! Floyd and Marjorie are excited to be on the Infinity for a Panama Canal sailing later this year.

We then walked around ISP. We were impressed by the shops there – high quality things and a nice variety. Much nicer than the things we had seen along Creek St in Ketchikan. We ate fresh Dungeness crab and had Alaskan beer at one of the two restaurants - both very similar and very casual. Finished up by walking along the short beach and forest trails. The rain had started to pick up by this time and it was almost tender time anyhow. Inifnity had shortened her stay in ICP so we had to be on board by 1:30. It was something about the timing of getting back to Vancouver through some narrows. Overall, a great day!

Final Notes

We had a really wonderful week on the Infinity. We again really enjoyed our experience with Celebrity. On the Infinity, we really enjoyed the AquaSpa café, the Constellation lounge and the deck 10 aft for viewing, and the overall dinner dining experience. Except for the Oasis café, the ship seemed roomy and uncrowded. Highlights of our week were our wonderful tablemates, the naturalist Milos, South Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm tour from Juneau, the whale-watching excursion in ISP, the Captain’s Table dinner, and the ever-present, awesome Inside Passage scenery. I used my binoculars way more than I had expected, so remember to bring a pair. Our Verizon phone worked at every port, including ISP. We will likely take another Alaskan cruise with our girls. We will definitely cruise again with Celebrity, and we are interested in trying Holland America line as well.

Thanks for a wonderful well-balanced and very objective review. We'll be on Infinity for the repo cruise from Vancouver through Alaska and down to San Francisco in September and, after reading your excellent report, are having a difficult time waiting until September!!:D

Maureen --

Great Review!!

This definitely was an excellent trip. Weather was just about perfect, except for those last couple of rainy days (last sea day and ISP). We took a short 4 day cruise to the Bahamas on the Queen Mary over Memorial day weekend just prior to this sailing. I was very concerned that I would be disappointed with Celebrity after sailing on the Queen Mary. But I must say this cruise on Celebrity truly outshone the Queen Mary in every way.

The food and service were outstanding (whereas the service, or lack thereof, on the Queen Mary was disappointing to say the least). Never again would I sail with Cunard. Can't wait, however, to get back on another Celebrity ship!

In Ketchikan we took a float plane (with Michelle from Island Wings) over to Anan Creek to see the bears. This was definitely the highlight of our trip. Although expensive, it was well worth it. You are so up close and personal with the bears (and eagles). Just amazing. We were so saddened to hear about the float plane that crashed in Ketchikan just one week after we were there.

In Juneau we went whale watching with Harv and Marv. It was a beautiful warm and sunny day. We saw several whales, but did not get as close to them as you did with Floyd in ISP. Nevertheless my daughter did get some amazing pictures.

After the whale watching we went over to Mendenhall Glacier Visitor center where we were able to walk the trails and get a good look at the glacier (much better than viewing Hubbard from the boat).

We did not have any plans for Icy Strait Point. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law along with my niece and nephew were supposed to do the zip-line but unfortunately due to the weather it was shut down. I was glad to find out that the cannery museum and shops at the pier are run entirely by the townspeople. My first impression was that this was a stop made by the cruiseline. One of the shop owners told me that the cruise lines wanted more control in that area, but the "corporation" (town) was not allowing it.

Our day cruising Hubbard Glacier was gorgeous. Remembering 13 years ago when I did a similar trip, I layed out the appropriate clothes for my daughter -- her fleece, a jacket, hat and gloves. The poor kid came up on deck dripping with sweat! It was not long before she shed all the clothes and was down to just a t-shirt.

It irked me to see the kids who were using part of the ship (was that the radar tower?) as a slide. I don't understand why someone from the ship's staff did not stop that activity. It seemed very dangerous.

How great that you were invited to the Captain's table -- what a treat!

I had the pleasure of sitting with the "assistant captain" every night. Some might recognize my husband as the one who walked around the ship at all times with his hand held GPS, "just in case the captain ran into trouble" -- LOL.

There was indeed 400 kids onboard. Many of them seemed to be part of a large group of foreigners that were onboard. My daughter and niece seldom went to the activities that were held for the teens, but my 10 year old nephew was always frequenting the kids club or just hanging about the ship with friends he met onboard. They definitely had a great time!

I must say, how odd it was to meet someone while on our excursion to Anan who knew who I was from posting here on cruisecritic, small world huh? Gotta love the internet. (hi Brandon's Mom!).

Overall, this was definitely a great trip. I would not hesitate to cruise with Celebrity again in the future.

Paulam....Ha! That's great about your husband! I thought it was only my husband who lived with his GPS. Did your DH like the TV channel with the map and the "Battleship" portrayal of our ship? We had that on a lot in the room. It was a great week. So did your teen like the trip? My girls have always loved our cruises. This trip was just for us and the girls went to camp. I love this board....so much great info. What happened to you guys during the Cruise Critic get together? Thanks for your review!

Paulam....Ha! That's great about your husband! I thought it was only my husband who lived with his GPS. Did your DH like the TV channel with the map and the "Battleship" portrayal of our ship? We had that on a lot in the room. It was a great week. So did your teen like the trip? My girls have always loved our cruises. This trip was just for us and the girls went to camp. I love this board....so much great info. What happened to you guys during the Cruise Critic get together? Thanks for your review!

Did your husband have his GPS on board also? There was one other guy walking around with one (and of course the two of them had to compare numbers). My husband even had his out during our float plane trip and compared numbers with our pilot, Michelle.

I could never imagine leaving my daughter home when we went on a cruise.

This was her 7th. As she gets older she participates less in the kids activities as they are not as organized for the teenagers, just a matter of meetings others on board and hanging out together. She loves cruising (and just going on vacation in general, who doesn't). She took the most amazing pictures of bears, whales and eagles during our excursions. Someone along the way suggested she enter some of her best into a photography contest, which she is definitely planning on doing. (one has already been entered)

Didn't know there was a CC get together as the roll call prior to the cruise was pretty much inactive. Sorry I missed it.

We're going to be on the Infinity soon and I found your review so helpful. Thank you. Can't wait.

2 questions. I've been unable to pre-book the specialty restaurant and understand I need to do on board. Did you get to do in advance as a returning Celebrity guest?

Packing...the eternal question! I was planning on jeans for the day w/short and long sleeved t's as layers (in addition to fleece/jackets) but wonder if I need lightweight pants/capris too; only planning sneakers for daytime shoes as we're not major hikers - would a pair of short jodpher boots make sense as well or is it too hot in port for that? Anything you wish you'd brought more/less of?

Thanks!

MaureenK,

Thank you so much for posting an Infinity review. We will be on her in 3.5 weeks and have been anxious to hear about the cruise. I will be much more knowledgeable now. We will be doing Fishes, Harv & Marv and Island Wings to Traitor's Cove. Can't wait to experience Alaska. I hope we have some decent weather like you did.

We're going to be on the Infinity soon and I found your review so helpful. Thank you. Can't wait.

2 questions. I've been unable to pre-book the specialty restaurant and understand I need to do on board. Did you get to do in advance as a returning Celebrity guest?

Packing...the eternal question! I was planning on jeans for the day w/short and long sleeved t's as layers (in addition to fleece/jackets) but wonder if I need lightweight pants/capris too; only planning sneakers for daytime shoes as we're not major hikers - would a pair of short jodpher boots make sense as well or is it too hot in port for that? Anything you wish you'd brought more/less of?

Thanks!

Captain's Club members can prebook the specialty restaurant 60 days in advance of sailing.

Sorry, don't know about capri pants.

Hello....you will love your trip!

Answers to your questions....

...I called the Captain's Club number about 3 weeks ahead to book the specialty restaurant. I wanted to be sure to be able to eat there Wednesday night. If you haven't cruised Celebrity before and aren't a member, I really doubt it will be a problem to book on board. The people from the restaurant were out there looking to take reservations, and I don't think you'll miss them.

...As far as clothes go, there are a couple of things I would suggest based on our trip.

- There were 3 casual nights, and 2 informal nights, in addition to the standard 2 formal nights. I had expected 3 informal nights and 2 casual nights. So, keep that in mind when packing.

- I would definitely bring capris. I wore shorts in Ketchikan! We both have zip off pants, which are handy. They don't look very nice but when walking around town (or the trail), they do the trick. But our week was warmer than most. I also had an extra jogging suit, but that might have been okay if we had more typical weather. A suggestion might be to bring one pair of shorts (or zip offs if you own them), one pair of capris, one pair of jeans, and one jogging suit. This will give you the most flexibility. If you end up wearing only the jeans and jogging suit, then you can have one (or both) of the pants washed on board. Rates are very reasonable. I also had rain pants with me.

- I wouldn't bring anything more than sneakers. I brought trail sneakers, which basically have a tougher sole, but only because we were out on the trail and they were nice to have on the trail. I have heard that sometimes it rains really hard, so you might want have 2 pair of walking shoes or sneakers with you.

- The only other thing I wished I had had with me are my Birkenstock sandals. I love them and they would have been great to be able to slip on to wear around ship. Instead, I brought TEVA's, being more suitable for boating and rain. I did wear the TEVA's. Not bringing too many shoes is tough on a cruise, especially on an Alaskan one! I wore my sneakers on the plane, and packed TEVAs, dress sandals, and my trail shoes. That's why the Birkies didn't make it along - I prefer to pack light, if you can call that light!

Have a great trip!

It's invaluable to have this specific, just-off-the-boat advice. Because Alaska weather so changable, it sounds like you need a little of everything. I just hope we don't have a run of all one type of weather so I don't get sick of that one outfit.

The evenings sound easy. I'm bringing 4 outfits - all quite dressy - figuring on the other 3 nights we'll collapse in the AquaSpa or buffet after a hard day surrounded by all that nature. I didn't know there were 2 formal nights on a 7-day cruise - thanks for that.

What to wear during the day was more of a quandry. I usually like to dress up a bit when I travel (a jacket w/nice-ish pants); respectful not to mention yielding better service, but Alaska seems to imply a more casual approach. Thank you for your shoe and capri advice. You really helped me out!:)

Maureen, we are booked on Infinity to South America in Dec. in an aft CC cabin. I understood that there are binoculars in the concierge cabins for personal use. Did you not have any in your cabin, do we need to bring our own? Thanks

• 1 year later...

Archived