Chops Grille- A few questions

Hi-

My husband and I are considering going to Chops on our 9/2 Freedom of the Seas cruise, however we had a few questions.

1) Is there a way to know what meals are served in the dining room so that we don't miss something that we might really like? We would hate to go to Chops on formal night or on a night that they have prime rib in the dining room. We aren't big fish eaters, so if there was a night with a lot of fish, that would be our night to go.

2) Is Chops really worth it? They serve steak in the dining room and to me it does seem strange to pay "extra" for food on out of all places....a cruise. What makes it stand out? Also, will they sit a party of 2 alone or will I be sitting with other people?

3) Is the cost still $20 p/p?

4) Can I make reservations on the first day of the cruise?

Thanks and happy cruising,

Ann :D

Here's a link to the menus on Freedom which includes chops.

Freedom Menus

Can't answer all the other questions since I haven't sailed on her, but we've eaten at both Chops & Portofinos on the Voyager and Mariner and loved it...well worth the extra $$$! You can book the first day and I would recommend it for best availability.

Enjoy!

Looks like Wed. would be perfect for us since that is a primarily fish menu (and I am allergic). I will try to get a reservation for Wed. and it will be a great way to break up the week.

Are the specialty coffee's (lattes, espressos, etc) included at Chops?

Hi-

My husband and I are considering going to Chops on our 9/2 Freedom of the Seas cruise, however we had a few questions.

1) Is there a way to know what meals are served in the dining room so that we don't miss something that we might really like? We would hate to go to Chops on formal night or on a night that they have prime rib in the dining room. We aren't big fish eaters, so if there was a night with a lot of fish, that would be our night to go.

2) Is Chops really worth it? They serve steak in the dining room and to me it does seem strange to pay "extra" for food on out of all places....a cruise. What makes it stand out? Also, will they sit a party of 2 alone or will I be sitting with other people?

First-I ASSURE you the thin,somewhat tasteless steak you'll get in the main dining room is NOT the same as the mouth-watering steak in Chops along with the fabulous side dishes(order 2-3 and share)...

What makes Chops stand out is EXACTLY what you asked:1)You will dine ALONE at a window by the water (go early-like 6:30-book as soon as you board!!)..2) Difference between Chops/Portifinos and dining room ambiance is night & day.In the main dining room,you're eating with 1500 other people-it's noisy,busy,not exactly romantic.In Chops,it's QUIET,romantic,and service is wonderful.HINT:sometimes it can take 2 hrs.+ to dine..if you have plans to see a show,tell them you need to be done 20-30 minutes before showtime(usually 9)..they will pick up the pace.We usually are in/out in 60-75 min.Filet mignon is terrific!

I read cost has been increased to $25,but not sure if it started already...Is it worth the $$??? Let's see- an appetizer,salad,entree,dessert,bread & coffee for $20-25?At Ruth Chris or Morton's,that would cost about $75.

Can you find out the menus for each night in advance? Yes,go to Guest Services and ask for the dining room menus for each night.Lobster night is usually 2nd to last night on 7 night cruise.Prime Rib is usually 2nd-3rd night in...we go on one of the formal nights,so we don't have to dress up and can eat comfortably.SO,go right away to Guest Services,look at the menus,decide what night to go,then go to the venue ASAP and make your reservation(we eat twice in each Chops & Portifinos-also terrific!)...don't miss!

Any more questions,let me know....

Big Al

If you really enjoy the dining room food, then it may not be worth it to pay the extra. If you are looking for something a bit better, then it's worth it! If you are really enjoying your tablemates, you may not want to desert them for Chops! It's really up to you!

We enjoyed our meal, but I felt it was what the dining room USED to serve--good, but worth another $40.00 on top of the cruise fare???? I'm still unsure about that!

We've learned on our cruises to at least try the alternative restaurants, that they are usually well worth the money. We will be doing Chops and Portofinos.

We are also on the Sept. 2 sailing - did you sign up for the Meet & Mingle? We need two more people to qualify for one!

We've learned on our cruises to at least try the alternative restaurants, that they are usually well worth the money. We will be doing Chops and Portofinos.

We are also on the Sept. 2 sailing - did you sign up for the Meet & Mingle? We need two more people to qualify for one!

We signed up and at the time it brought us to 24 :)

This is very good advice. If it is anything like Ruth's Chris, our favorite restaraunt, then it will be worth it. Are specialty coffee's (latte's, cappucino's, etc included?)

Thanks,

Ann :)

First-I ASSURE you the thin,somewhat tasteless steak you'll get in the main dining room is NOT the same as the mouth-watering steak in Chops along with the fabulous side dishes(order 2-3 and share)...

What makes Chops stand out is EXACTLY what you asked:1)You will dine ALONE at a window by the water (go early-like 6:30-book as soon as you board!!)..2) Difference between Chops/Portifinos and dining room ambiance is night & day.In the main dining room,you're eating with 1500 other people-it's noisy,busy,not exactly romantic.In Chops,it's QUIET,romantic,and service is wonderful.HINT:sometimes it can take 2 hrs.+ to dine..if you have plans to see a show,tell them you need to be done 20-30 minutes before showtime(usually 9)..they will pick up the pace.We usually are in/out in 60-75 min.Filet mignon is terrific!

I read cost has been increased to $25,but not sure if it started already...Is it worth the $$??? Let's see- an appetizer,salad,entree,dessert,bread & coffee for $20-25?At Ruth Chris or Morton's,that would cost about $75.

Can you find out the menus for each night in advance? Yes,go to Guest Services and ask for the dining room menus for each night.Lobster night is usually 2nd to last night on 7 night cruise.Prime Rib is usually 2nd-3rd night in...we go on one of the formal nights,so we don't have to dress up and can eat comfortably.SO,go right away to Guest Services,look at the menus,decide what night to go,then go to the venue ASAP and make your reservation(we eat twice in each Chops & Portifinos-also terrific!)...don't miss!

Any more questions,let me know....

Big Al

Hi-

I was on Jewel in January and it was still 20 bux. I think uits well worth the cost. The quality of steaks in Chops is far superior that those in the main dinning room. Actually all of the food in Chops is superior in my opinion. For example, you cant get a 10oz fillet in the main dinning room. The food is very good in the main dinning room, but we still go to Chops or Portofino at least once a cruise. We make reservations when we get to our cabin after we board. They do have parties of two all the time. Some people want to just get away from the hundreds of people and noise of the main dinning room, so they go to Chops or Portofino. Its a very nice place to eat, plus its kinda romantic too.

Archived