Carnival Victory Hits Building as it Docks

site41

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Hey, the morning after the last night on the ship, I wouldn't have felt a thing either :p That last night is always a blast, hell... I would have just been getting to bed around that time :D[/quote]

Let's talk reality, not nonsense...:p

Someone on the bridge made a terrible mistake that will cost the company big bucks.

End of story:D

[quote name='yogimax']Let's talk reality, not nonsense...:p

Someone on the bridge made a terrible mistake that will cost the company big bucks.

End of story:D[/quote]

Exactly, "someone", you don't know who, we don't know who. Everyone is speculating at this point. Maybe the Captain sneezed and bumped the joystick, or there was a squirrel loose on the bridge. No wait, it's Lucy's fault. Sorry Lucy, you mentioned margaritas too early. :eek: :D

[quote name='site41']Another news article with a good picture of the bow damage.

[URL]http://www.wnbc.com/news/13804211/detail.html?dl=headlineclick#[/URL]

And here is a picture:

[IMG]http://www.wnbc.com/2007/0802/13804498.jpg[/IMG]

Site 41[/quote]

I hate to throw a fly in to the ointment here...but that does not look like the bow of a Carnival Ship, colors are way off.

Am I missing something here?

[quote name='kelz66']That makes more sense. (kinda...LOL)

The pilot is in control but not responsible.

I love how everyone already knows exactly what happened in the command center (ie..asleep at the wheel, pushed the wrong thruster, ziged when he should of zagged...LMAO):rolleyes:[/quote]

coulda been a rogue wave ;)

Tell that to the Mississippi pilots....no foreign captain can operate a vessel in a US port...the pilots do it.

That was was explained to me on my cruise out of NOLA by a former pilot turned minister who piloted the Mississippi for 30 years, that we shared our dining table with.

That is my understanding on the Columbia river also. Before being certified as a pilot they must draw from memory the entire river from ID to the Bar (Astoria) including channels and buoys. And when the ship arrives at the Bar a different pilot boards. There are only a handful of pilots certified to cross the Columbia Bar.

we were on the Carnival Victory this morning and also did not feel anything ( near stern starboard balcony cabin). We were packing suitcases during the time this accident happened in prep for walk-off. We found out when our TA called our cell phone to get an update "from the scene" from us. He had other clients about to start travel to NYC for today's departure who wanted to know whether the ship would sail. We were wondering if something was going on because about 1/2 hour earlier we were in the Pacific (stern) dining room having breakfast when 2 NYC harbor police boats with flashing lights came up behind the ship.

The accident really was unfortunate. Most of this past cruise was under heavy fog. I have great pictures coming into St. John showing the density of the fog. It was tough to see the blue doors on the pier warehouse. From our almost to the stern balcony, there were many times during the cruise that the bridge was almost completely hidden by fog. But not this morning.

By the way, Kudos to Carnival Victory for the cruise sailing date of 7/28 and ending today. We thought the cruise was a great value and had a good time. Of course there are things that we would change, but nothing like the issues that others were reporting on this site at the beginning of July. We'll probably write a review later tonight.

I've never posted here, but everything I ever learned about cruising I learned from Cruise Critic :)

We were on this sailing as well. We were in the Pacific dining room having breakfast when the accident occured. All we felt was a kind of bumping/grinding sensation, and one of my kids asked what the noise was. We thought it was just the sound of the engine slowing down as the ship docked or something, told her that, and thought nothing else of it until we got off the ship.

When we were waiting to get off, the Cruise Director made an announcement apologizing for the delay, and told us that they didn't know what the delay was, but as soon as they could they would let us off. I do think they should have made some sort of an announcement as to the reason, but I guess they didn't want people to panic, since it wasn't a dangerous situation. We were off the ship and in our car by 9:00.

We tried to stop on the walkway and take some pictures, but there were a few police and fire dept personnel, and assorted other officials who wouldn't let us, so we took a quick look and kept on walking. We did see someone snap a picture and not get caught though. The bow took a chunk of cement out of the overpass, and was scraped up and dented with some bits of cement stuck to it.

All in all, this was a great sailing. It was our third on Carnival, second on the Victory, and definitely my favorite cruise of the three. There were small issues, mostly relating to the dining room, but like the other poster said, nothing like the reviews I was reading prior to our trip. It was very hard to have to leave and come home!!!

I hate to throw a fly in to the ointment here...but that does not look like the bow of a Carnival Ship, colors are way off. Am I missing something here?

Maybe the camera is off or the lighting is at a funny angle, but that sure looks like the nose of the Victory. Might be the Destiny or the Triumph, but the equipment on the deck is in the right places for the Victory.

Anyone else catch the Helicopter reporter mention that the Victory had 5000 Passengers and Crew. Obviously they need to do a little more research. Carnival puts it at 3858 including crew.

This is why the saying "Don't believe everything in the news media" was born.;)

That is my understanding on the Columbia river also. Before being certified as a pilot they must draw from memory the entire river from ID to the Bar (Astoria) including channels and buoys. And when the ship arrives at the Bar a different pilot boards. There are only a handful of pilots certified to cross the Columbia Bar.

1. every ship at most harbors must carry a certified pilot. Most pilots are state not federally certified. This is true whether the ship is US flagged or foreign flagged above a certain tonnage. Some rivers require that the ship carries a certified pilot.

2. This doesn't answer the question of whom is charge. I cited a source. I know its in the CG Navigation rules somewhere but it is unequivocally true that the master/captain except in the Panama canal remains in charge. The fact that they carry a pilot doesn't change that.

but view this

http://www.pspilots.org/about_whatwedo_captain.html

which I think is wrong but honesty makes me post it anyway

Tell that to the Mississippi pilots....no foreign captain can operate a vessel in a US port...the pilots do it.

That was was explained to me on my cruise out of NOLA by a former pilot turned minister who piloted the Mississippi for 30 years, that we shared our dining table with.

We were at the same table, & that is indeed how the gentleman explained it.

We had lovely dining companions on that cruise! ;)

I have to admit, although our cabin was in the very front of the ship, I only found out about the "incident" when I flipped on the tv in the cabin and saw our ship on the news! What a shocker!

My son and husband had been outside and heard the big "CRUNCH". We ran outside to the bow of the boat to check it out.

There was significant damage to the pier terminal.

Fire trucks and police boats were everywhere.

When we ran into our waiter at breakfast he told us that they had been told that there was a fair possibility that the ship would not be able to depart today but I'm assuming it did.

Regardless, it was a pretty good cruise! I'd go again.

Why don't you Raleigh people take it outside. :p...

ROFLMAO! once:D

Maybe we will bring it to canada

twice!

... Maybe... there was a squirrel loose on the bridge... :D

three times!

OMG, i am cryin' here. a squirrel, jess? a squirrel? of all things, you pick a squirrel?:D :p i am laughin' so hard here...

on a serious note, glad no one was hurt, and that the next sailing got off today as scheduled.

interesting info on the pilots. thanks to all who provided it.

ROFLMAO! once:D

twice!

three times!

OMG, i am cryin' here. a squirrel, jess? a squirrel? of all things, you pick a squirrel?:D :p i am laughin' so hard here...

on a serious note, glad no one was hurt, and that the next sailing got off today as scheduled.

interesting info on the pilots. thanks to all who provided it.

Isn't it past your bed time. :eek: :D

Archived